Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KRKappel

Homstead Rules (Far Horizons/Base of Operations)

34 posts in this topic

It occurred to me last night watching Episode IV to wonder how it is that there are "seasons" in moisture farming. The "harvest" is the most important time of year!

Did they plant a bunch of water seeds? :)

kaosoe likes this

It occurred to me last night watching Episode IV to wonder how it is that there are "seasons" in moisture farming. The "harvest" is the most important time of year!

Well now see ya got yer Dry Season, Extra Dry Season, Spice Season (fouls up the vapor filterators sometin fierce), and finally yer Ultra Dry Season.

Most moisture farmers only get a good harvest in the Dry Season and use their take from the Extra Dry Season for home use.  I done heard tell of some newfangled vapor fins that can handle a spice wind, but I reckon I'll believe it when I see it.

Since we're already veering off-topic: I'd imagine the seasons would make a difference in temperature, at least, which would affect humidity and the ease of extracting water vapor from the air!

I'll bet "harvest season" is in the winter, as that would make the water easier to collect (you generally collect moisture from the air by cooling it), but I may be way off.

Found an interesting article on moisture farming IRL, actually:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheric_water_generator

RedfordBlade likes this

Pasha, you can do a homestead that covers Ranching (raising animals), Farming (moisture or other crops), or Mining for the homestead type of headquarters. For the Business type, you can make a Retail store, a service business (doctor, mechanic, and taxi stand were some of the ideas), or an entertainment venue (a cantina or theater or arcade)

Keith, I just read through the Homestead rules and campaigns last night, and I have to say if I wasn't right in the middle of an Explorer campaign I'd be planning out a Colonist one now!

The rules give me a lot of great campaign ideas that I know would be a lot of fun. Thanks!

I'm also dying to introduce a gregarious Chevin businessman NPC, so I think I'm doing that soon anyway :)

KRKappel likes this

I have the book on order and can't wait to get it.  I don't know if it is covered in the book but I plan on trying to use it in conjunction to the party's ship.  I like the idea of my Force Sensitive member being tasked with re-establishing the Jedi Order and having them start a new Jedi Temple.  They will search the galaxy looking for other Force Sensitives to hide here from the Imperial Inquisitors.  Does anyone see any issues I might have with this plan that maybe I haven't thought of or that the actually having the book might help me with?

Edited by eric0529

The book can certainly be used to build an academy campus of sorts. The rules aren't built specifically for that, but I can see it functioning as a quiet homestead maybe mining for crystals and hoping to find the occasional one worthy of being in a lightsaber, or ranching kybucks that some of the Jedi might learn to use as war mounts, or farming food for those living in the temple to eat. I can see it working quite nicely, actually.

kaosoe likes this