Sign in to follow this  
Atraangelis

Limiting one Jedi in a player party? Thoughts?

I think it's really up to the group and the players involved.

Admittedly, one of the groups I'm in, I'm playing the only Force user, who's just starting to come into his own as a would-be Jedi, though he still has a long way to go (having just taken the Niman Disciple specialization).  There's been no issues, and it lead to some great RP when Valin's little secret got out; kind of hard to cover up your hurling a storage crate into a bounty hunter's head from several meters away with just a gesture.

I was previously in a group that added a new player that made a Force user and wanted the character to be the star of the game and to hell with the rest of the group, even going so far as to threaten to murder another player's character if said character "found out" about the Force diva's little secret of being a Force user, and was more frankly more interested in power-gaming than role-playing.

I think a group with multiple Force users would work fine, be it the case of Force and Destiny where everyone's a Force user or even a mixed group where only a couple PCs are Force users.  Having multiple Jedi (i.e. folks with one of the Lightsaber Form specializations) might push the limits for groups that prefer to stick to the general notion that people with Jedi training were rarer than a four-leaf clover decorated with hen's teeth, but as the PCs are the heroes of the story and as such tend to be exceptions to the rules, having a couple of dedicated saber-swingers shouldn't cause too many hassles, particularly if they're from different careers/specs.

I was previously in a group that added a new player that made a Force user and wanted the character to be the star of the game and to hell with the rest of the group, even going so far as to threaten to murder another player's character if said character "found out" about the Force diva's little secret of being a Force user, and was more frankly more interested in power-gaming than role-playing.

This makes me think of the game Paranoia, in which everyone is a traitor and none of them know it. I have a lovely image of a party full of Force users all hiding the fact that they are one from all of the others in fear of the consequences. Come to think of it, that's not actually implausible that with such a dangerous secret you could have two Jedi be friends for years without ever realizing what the other is.

COMPNOR is my friend? ;):D

Regarding the OP, I think the one and only thing we can all agree on is "Find out what you and your players are comfortable with and go with that."  Virtually everything else we've discussed beyond that, even this post, is irrelevant.  Arguments about lore aside (since frankly, as far as lore is concerned, even the reverse of what the OP is asking about can be justified with even a basic amount of critical thinking,) mixed groups are probably the best from a fairness standpoint (because as strange as it may sound, some of us really don't give two Credits about those bathrobe-wearing punks with their fancy-pants glowsticks) provided you don't get an upstanding individual like the fellow mentioned in Morningfire's post (that gentleman's existence, or at least in my personal experience has always been a gentleman, would make a solid argument for a "No Force Users" campaign.)

but I as a GM will not allow a player to pick the Chiss race unless I think they could do it 'right'.

President-Business1.jpg

:P

You know what? I'll own it. I thought that 'middle zealand' and the whole town in the middle were way better as a set piece than as something you can rebuild at a moment's notice.

As mentioned I'm occasionally a canon tyrant. My players understand this, and are willing to play within such constraints. If they want to play an anarchic Chiss who was a jedi-in-hiding and also held the key to destroying the Empire but didn't *want* to use it, they can find another game to play on the side. So far they haven't left mine to do it; if they do it elsewhere and with others I've no complaints. I'm just not going to have it in my game.

My concern in allowing in force users into the party is that they would tend to steal the spotlight. If they get caught out using the force in public the adventure pretty much stops being about the group and starts being about the force user evading the Gestapo. There are reasons that people like Obi-wan and Yoda live in the middle of nowhere and don't go gallivanting about. Bringing a Jedi into the party literally makes them the VIP because they have all their extra secret baggage.

I'd run Jedi in other eras but not in the OT period unless it was the majority of the party.

I also have to agree with others that it's not right to let one player get the special character. If there is one force user in a Jedi sparse setting there could be another and they could group up for better survivability.

I take the KotOR II methodology of justifying multiple Force users in my game. The Force has a way of drawing its practitioners together. Perhaps the Force is guiding those sensitive to it together. To some greater destiny yet unseen.

I take the KotOR II methodology of justifying multiple Force users in my game. The Force has a way of drawing its practitioners together. Perhaps the Force is guiding those sensitive to it together. To some greater destiny yet unseen.

Considering the list of known survivors of that eras Jedi Purge, and the list of known survivors in Palpatine's Jedi Purge, it would seem even more insane that in KotORII you would get that many force sensitives in one place. But the Force had a purpose for them.

Palpatine wasn't nearly as efficient in wiping out the order as Sion and Nihilus.

(Of course, referring to Legends Canon, since we can't compare KotOR era to the Imperial era any other way)