Sign in to follow this  
GiraffeandZebra

Let's speculate on Auto-thrusters

Well we have to remember this is for the starviper too maybe it has something to do with taking actions even if do a red maneuver or the movement actions? hence it is a auto thruster because it moves for the pilot.

Makes sense... is to be some automatic thing. 

I believe we shall be able to auto boost and auto barrel roll actions. Or maybe add the two actions into one style Lt. Lorrir. So spare actions to trigger push the limit and hold a focus or perhaps even focus + evade + boost / barrel roll Lorrir style).

I like the idea of making the tie advanced even more defensively capable. Perhaps an automatic change of eyeballs to evades on a defensive die, like Luke? This would upgrade all ships significantly but would be arguably less useful on Vader who will likely have focused as one of his two actions anyway.

Autothrusters is probably defensive gunner or increase agility by 1 if outside of the firing arc of the ship shooting you. Likely the latter.

It would be great, but do not believe the issue of squad points. Flight Instructor costs 4 points and lets you reroll a focus. Against low skill enemys a blank. Gunner costs 5 points. How many points would cost a "defensive gunner"? Too expensive to be viable and "mandatory" in the interceptors.

I think it's about time for FFG to release the Starviper preview article....

I'm also in trouble wait. This is the card I most want to know what does. Tie interceptors are my favorites. 

FFG is releasing information every two weeks, every Monday.

So she reveals the rest of the most wanted in 11.03, something the star viper...  day 11/17. 

There is patience and anxiety.

Something I was thinking: The modification card comes with a viper star then has to serve to star viper. In the interview the developers said that the modification would be loved by the interceptors but did not mention other high agility ships (A-wing, tie fighter, tie advanced, e-wing). 

So the question is: What does the star viper and the tie interceptor have in common that other ships do not have? 

Answer: Action bar com native boost and barrel roll. The only two ships in current time in the game that already have these actions on your  action bar. 

So the mechanics of this modification card should work with these actions.

How about:

Autothrusters: when you do a red maneuver, roll a defense die. If you get an evade icon (maybe focus as well) do not assign a stress token.

That doesn't help against turrets or sound like something TIs would use.

One of the things that I don't quite understand is how the extra boosts and/or barrel rolls being proposed help against turrets. By definition, you can't arc dodge, so playing with range bands seems like the only useful result. However, if it's handing out free actions on being shot, that's a bunch of anti-synergy with PtL, since you can't take 'em while stressed.

I'd only be interested in that if it came as a rider on a defensive reroll or explicitly specified that you could take the boost/BR while stressed.

I'm beginning to lean toward a mini-PtL replacement.  Whenever you boost/BR, take a free boost/BR.  Free up your interceptor EPT for something else.  Though I'm not certain it is very-turret specific, I suppose having some EPT freedom could lead to a more survivable interceptor.  A BR/Boosting Soontir Fel with Lone Wolf would be a fun ship.

My idea is unreliable, which is the point. Giving something that only affects turrets seem too specialized and a waste if you end up not fighting turrets.

If every new ability/mod makes other options obsolete, the game will suffer from unwanted power creep. Having something useful but not guaranteed makes it a conscious gamble.

A ship modification, for ANY ship that has a potential to ignore a stress token could be useful. Especially since you can do a koiogran and possibly still evade.

How does this help fight turrets though? Directly it does not. However I see anything that could let me get more mobility as useful. Getting out of range with a 5 koiogran then doing a focus or target lock if availiable means you might do more damage to a turret laden ship, eliminating it from play.

Other ideas I had for auto thrusters are:

Any ship that targets you with a secondary weapon recieves a stress token.

You may change one blank result (or focus instead) rolled to an evade result. Single use card perhaps?

Action: after making an attack, you may execute a forward 5 speeed red maneuver. - this will lead to strafing runs. Attack and auto zoom out of range, but no choice on where you go. Makes it somewhat predictable about where you will end up and what your next move will be.

Edited by That Blasted Samophlange

I'm beginning to lean toward a mini-PtL replacement.  Whenever you boost/BR, take a free boost/BR.  Free up your interceptor EPT for something else.  Though I'm not certain it is very-turret specific, I suppose having some EPT freedom could lead to a more survivable interceptor.  A BR/Boosting Soontir Fel with Lone Wolf would be a fun ship.

I actually like this you could include outmaneuver without losing the action economy. It would be useful against every ship though it would prevent the turtling up option so it might not see that much use after all.

What if it's something like, "When you are targeted by an attack from outside the attacker's firing arc, you may change all blank Evade results to Focus results."

I don't think it would be very useful against gunner/luke. Except Soontir, he would be overpowered as hell against Falcons lol.

Edited by DreadStar