Sign in to follow this  
Sithborg

Thanks FFG for being FFG

+1 to this sentiment. FFG is a great company that seems to enjoy what they do and care about the fans of their games.

I'm not going to comment on Wizkids because I have nothing nice to say about them. I have wished a 1000 times FFG had acquired the Clix license.

+1 to this sentiment. FFG is a great company that seems to enjoy what they do and care about the fans of their games.

I'm not going to comment on Wizkids because I have nothing nice to say about them. I have wished a 1000 times FFG had acquired the Clix license.

Oh god, Heroclix is so aweful. Nice, cheap, decent enough minis though.

What happened at Gencon?

Not 100% this is accurate but from what I was able to discover, Wiz Kids released a bunch of cards for the game as Gencon exclusives and apparently the fan base is up in arms because they are highly sought after characters from the movie that will not be available for sale.  Kind of like releasing Chewbaca for the YT-1300 as a Gencon exclusive and never selling the card.

Wow, I got curious and read a thread or two on BGG on the issue. Even stories of people getting physically injured because of the stampede at Wizkids as well as the most horrible customer service one could imagine. Clearly a lot of anger there and anger will lead to hate, and hate will lead.. to the Dark Side! ;)

The horrible line management at Wizkids isn't what gets me. Just all the reports of just plain terrible customer service. And yet, there is not a single mention of this in their "apology". Which is basically them saying that they created more hype than intended, so they will get them to stores somehow. 90% certain it will be for another "Con in your Store" event...

And their lies about the lines. They say Gencon won't allow them to do what FFG does, which is have long lines and have tickets so people can come back at their leisure when product is back in stock. And just based on my experiences last year and on the videos, the FFG crew are just great to be around. Even when they are dealing with massive demand. I just don't see how I Wizkids can stay in business with the sort of feedback they are starting to get.

Edited by Sithborg

Yeah, these days FFG get basically 100% of my hobby gaming dollars, and I doubt that's likely to change soon. 

I agree with this post entirely.  I've had nothing but good experiences with FFG so far.  They really seem right on point with what their fans want to see.

I had a couple of beefs over the years.  Rune Wars I thought was kind of broken and unbalanced, Starcraft was a big disappointment to me as well, but I don't expect a company to produce nothing but hits for me.  FFG's hits far outweigh the disappointments.  Between Twilight Imperium, Tide of Irons, War of the Rings, X-Wing, Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, Star Wars Edge of Empire (and the entire star wars line of RPGs), REX, Game of Thrones... the list is long and distinguished, the let downs easily forgotten.

I do think though that since Twilight Imperium, X-Wing has been without question one of the most fun games I have ever played.  It took me a while to warm up to it, but it was mainly because I got so many repeated pasting that I was starting to think their was something wrong with the game, when the reality was I just sucked at it.  That drove me into purchases and like Twilight Imperium inspired me to study the game more closely.  I think for me at least (but I think for most of my gaming group friends) games are really only awesome when they require extra effort to play them well and I especially like dynamic games that reward you for studying the games nuances.  I typically only have a presence on the forums when I'm really into a game and the last time that really happened here was with Twilight Imperium which is another game that I think defines what great gaming is all about.

Star Trek Attack Wing player frustration started long before GenCon but GenCon really brought to light the terrible mis-management of the Attack Wing game.

I started out as an X-Wing player but switched to Attack Wing because of the dynamic and exciting mission-based play. X-Wing is almost always a skirmish in the asteroids with no objective except to kill more of the enemy than you lose yourself. In Attack Wing, you may be fighting over a space station, beaming people down to planets, stealing technology from other ships, and tons of other things rather than just fighting. In fact, in many missions, you are hopelessly outnumbered and your objective is not to fight but to gather intel, activate some minefields, or do something else while avoiding enemy ships and escape.

Attack Wing is also amazing for its terrain. There are many different planets, minefields, wormholes, nebulas, space stations, orbital weapons platforms, and many other space terrain that really make the game enjoyable.

However, the lead designer for Attack Wing, Andrew Parks, has left Attack Wing to work on the new D&D version of Attack Wing and the new spokesperson for the game, Chris Guild, has not been as interactive with the fanbase as Andrew was. As well, the new Borg faction are very clearly superior to all other ships in the game and pay no penalty for having not only a 360 degree firing arc but 360 degree movement! The Borg also have the most powerful attacks, the best toughness, the most power cards in the game, and more - and pay no more cost for all their power!

Imagine if the Millennium Falcon had 10 more hull, 6 attack, and cost half of what they do now!

Also, most players can't get their hands on all the exclusive cards and ships that are often the best in the game.

Attack Wing players are insanely jealous when they see FFG game designers so happy to give interviews and fielding tough questions on game balance and being so wonderful to their fan base and there being no exclusives but every card and ship being available to purchase.

Attack Wing is a superior game to X-Wing because of the terrain and mission based play, but exclusivity of ships and cards,  ludicrously ridiculous game imbalances, extreme company mis-management, and lack of contact between designers and fans is driving many fans away, including myself.

The mission-based play of Armada and Imperial Assault and the astounding game designer to fan contact at GenCon has convinced me to come back to FFG.     

Wow. I didn't want to get into this, but I was curious and read comments on ST Attack Wing at BGG. I'm not surprised that WizKids "lost" GenCon. They lost me a year ago when a single card didn't come in an $80 game (Mage Knight); and they wouldn't send it to me or even charge me for one. Then I bought an expansion and the same thing happened again. Did they care, no. Then I tried to like WK again, I really did, with Dice Masters ... What a debacle. They simply want our cash and don't care if a game is broken or without pieces, or painted by a six year old.

I have over 160 games listed on BGG of which I have been a member of for over 10 years, I have never seen such hate for a company. But FFG ... Wow you guys get it right. The littlest thing to a broken ship and you will replace it or at least make our experience the best you can. And the products speak for themselves.

I don't love FFG, but I respect them more than any other game company. So if you guys are reading, thank you. For all the money we spend, you have our back and we are grateful.

I was able to get up to the Con on Saturday and was in the waiting stampede to get into the Vendor hall when it opened.  I walked in and promptly go into line at FFG.  The woman walking around with the "end of the line" sign was very polite to all of us looking for the end of the line and when I was able to get into the booth, everyone working it was uber cordial and helpful.  Each would help you find exactly what you were looking for and offer to carry them for you while some other model caught your eye.  Sadly, the models I was there for (Decimator and YT-2400 for myself and some other forum members who had asked me to pick them up one) were out by the time I got to the booth but that didn't stop me from buying some more single ship expansions :)

I picked up some models a while back and there were missing parts and FFG expedited replacement parts as soon as I sent them pictures of how I received them (sent in the day I picked up the model).

So I would like to echo this sentiment and bump this thread in case any FFG staff are reading:

Thank you for the great CS and props for a job well done at GenCon this year.  Your team has produced and continues to produce a solid game that is fun to play and your commitment to quality and to your customers has this gamer backing you all through and through.

Imagine if the Millennium Falcon had 10 more hull, 6 attack, and cost half of what they do now!

Haha, Stormtrooper, thank you for putting that in a language I could understand (since I don't play that Star Trek game, that analogy made what you were saying easier to comprehend). :P

It's more of a question of do I want to support a company that is so terrible to it's customers. I love Fleet Captains, but it seems to be an afterthought for Wizkids, realizing that the money is in the stuff they can force their collectible chasing schemes into. I am just appalled by the multiple accounts of the Wizkids employees/volunteers being outright mean and lying to those at Gencon. (Seriously, FFG hasn't had issues with creating lines and/or handing out voucher tickets). This Gencon wasn't a question of competence. It's a question of customer service. Which Wizkids has failed at spectacularly. The threads on BGG and Hcrealms just paints a horrible picture of them.

I was at GenCon for only two days (Thur and Fri), and tried to get to the WizKids booth first thing each morning (10:00 a.m.) to pick up the Attack Wing exclusives for a friend of mine who couldn't make it.

Thursday morning, I can't verify this but overheard that they were sold out before the doors were opened to the general public. That's just ridiculous.

On Friday, tried again first thing, made a beeline for the WK booth, but couldn't even get close to it with the crush of people, and the booth attendants said the line was closed until 11:30. Come back at 11:30, completely sold out again.

FFG, however, was well-managed, line moved quickly, plenty of stock, and they even handed out mini-card games to play in line with other shoppers to help pass the time.

Edit: And now many of those exclusive packs that retailed for $40 at the booth are on Ebay for anywhere from $100 to $250 (active bids, not just Buy-It-Now).

Edited by HungryWulf