Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Osoling

Educate me on how the Y-Wing is awesome. Go!

47 posts in this topic

The problem I see with putting predator on Dutch is that you want Dutch to be target locking as often as possible to make use of his ability.  So Dutch should have re-roles from tl, making predator useless except for turns where Dutch gets no actions.  And I think 4 points is too steep for an insurance ability.

Vorpal Sword likes this

The problem I see with putting predator on Dutch is that you want Dutch to be target locking as often as possible to make use of his ability.  So Dutch should have re-roles from tl, making predator useless except for turns where Dutch gets no actions.  And I think 4 points is too steep for an insurance ability.

It's a bit pricey, but I'm still looking for other synergies that would tap into the TL ability. If only I could get FCS onto a Y. :D

Personally I love to fly three Y-wings and a HWK for funsies sometimes:

GSP+ICT x3

Jan Ors+ICT+Nien Nunb

It's a low damage output, high control squad which can sometimes do some pretty good damage at close range with Jan backing up one of the GSPs. Keep them in tight formation, and if the opportunity presents itself use Jan to boost one of the Y-wing's R1 attacks to four dice+focus and TL (if you had a TL before that round, of course).

It's probably not too competitive, but it is a lot of fun to play. :D

Outmaneuver would be great on Dutch if it weren't for the need to have the target be in your forward arc.  One of the big strength of the y-wing is the ion turret, and not needing to get targets in arc.  I think that the best upgrade for Dutch is just the ion turret.  He buffs other ships, and helps with controlling your opponent's squad.  Adding R5-K6 can be helpful to get another target lock for another ship, but as it works less than half of the time it is more of a if you have the extra points just laying around kind of upgrade.

Of course all of this just my opinion, and what I have found works for me.  If you find a combination that is fun to play, and works for you, go for it.  Without the occasional crazy experimentation new builds and tactics would not come around.

I did a round tonight....

Dutch (IC, R2 astro)

2x Gold (IC, R2 astro)

Rookie (R5-K6)

vs.

Turr Phennir (PTL)

3x Sabre Squadron (PTL)

I had a ton of fun, though I wouldn't take K6 again.

-Cal

End Result: Y-Wings = tons of fun.

It certainly is a more valuable ship now as its turret and ion cannon make it an effective counter to the Phantom.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Can it also help work as a counter to the various Fat Falcons that are floating around? Maybe something like this? It has a lot of HP for Chewie to work through, as well as the Ion's to (potentially) lock him down. Phantom's are threatened by the ion turrets and Tarn helps add some beef to the attack.

Dutch - 31

+ Ion Cannon Turret

+ R7-T1

Gold Squadron - 23

+ Ion Cannon Turret

Gold Squad - 23

+ Ion Cannon Turret

Tarn Mison - 23

I'd also consider swapping out R7 to turn Tarn into Hobbie or Porkins. Thoughts?

I don't know why but when ever I add a Y wing to my list it's the first ship my opponent wants to attack. Do most people see it as a risk?

Not at all. Frankly, I want that to happen. It's a tank with a lot of HP and weak lasers. Please light it up and leave my B/X/E-wings alone.

Ion Cannon Turret, 2 Torpedoe slots, Astromech upgrade.

My favorite is R3-A2 with Ion Cannon and maybe a flecheete torpedo or 2. I can double stress at range 3 or if in firing arc and within range 2 I can ion then R3-A2 for the stress for the Ion stress combo.

I could also put R3-A2 on another ship and just put R2 astromech to give the Y-wing more maneuverability so they can stay behind and ion a ship.

Yes they are on a Y-wing, no point in a Blaster Turret

While I agree, blaster turret on a y wing in a void is terrible, it can work in the right squad. I have a Garvin's, Lando, Dutch. build that uses the BT that's been quite effective. Garvin's moves, focus. Dutch moves, double TL. Lando moves, evade and gives Dutch a focus action. Garvin's attacks and passes the focus to Dutch who has a TL/focus blaster attack on whatever he wants. I admit it's probably not something I'd play in a tourney but it's been a lot of fun on the friendly level. Two for two wins.

I was actually thinking Dutch might pair nicely with R7-T1.  Still gets to hand off a target lock to a friendly, and the free boost for being in an enemy weapons arc is a LOT easier to use on a turreted ship, as you can boost in pretty much any direction you want...you don't have to worry about keeping the enemy "in front of you" to shoot at them.

Theorycrafting, though - haven't tried it in practice.

I've tried it and it's glorious.

chilligan likes this

I'm flirting with putting R2-D6 on Dutch, then sticking Predator on him. That plus the ICT could make things fun.

What about Veteran Instincts on Horton for a 32-point Phantom killer?

Besides, why would you put Predator on a ship that you want to target lock with? (maybe you were also referring to Horton?)

I'm flirting with putting R2-D6 on Dutch, then sticking Predator on him. That plus the ICT could make things fun.

What about Veteran Instincts on Horton for a 32-point Phantom killer?

PS 10 turret is wonderful against arc dodgers and cloakers, has made me consider Vader + VI and Whisper + Decoy + Adv. Cloak for my imp squads...

Edited by Duty Remains

I just recently picked up a Y-Wing, and was underwhelmed, and I am sure it's because I am not using it right.  Give me your thoughts on the Y-Wing, especially it's strengths and synergy with other ships.

As always, thanks for your insight to the game.  This is a great forum, and I appreciate the time you spend answering my posts.

O

Dutch Vander with ion cannon turret + R7-T1 = good combo

Flying your opponent of the board is the funniest thing in this game. That's enough for me.

Dude, I got within an inch of doing that to a Defender the first time my friend used one. My whole gameplan was to take his shiny new ship out of the fight and it almost worked.

that happend to me with the phantom so next game i did it to his shuttle.

I just recently picked up a Y-Wing, and was underwhelmed, and I am sure it's because I am not using it right.  Give me your thoughts on the Y-Wing, especially it's strengths and synergy with other ships.

As always, thanks for your insight to the game.  This is a great forum, and I appreciate the time you spend answering my posts.

O

Dutch Vander with ion cannon turret + R7-T1 = good combo

Sorry i forgot to say this makes him gain a target lock then boost and share a target lock for free. this is the only way i can fly a Y-wing.

It's a bit pricey, but I'm still looking for other synergies that would tap into the TL ability. If only I could get FCS onto a Y. :D

Kyle katarn or ptl.

Im running Dutch with Ion Turret and R5-K6, a Gold Squadron with Ion and R3-A2, and 2-3 Z-95s dressed to taste. And it wrecks. Phantom drivers dont pay much attention to the Gold Squadron til they're stressed, and then they stay stressed and cloaked or they get ioned AND stressed and die. I usually run Airen Cracken with Wingman in the back taking pot shots and clearing stress, and either Lt blount and fit some missles in, or take 2 Bandits.

Would this fly nicely? 

Horton Salm (25)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)
R2-D6 (1)
Veteran Instincts (1)

"Dutch" Vander (23)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)
R7-T1 (3)

Ibtisam (28)
Elusiveness (2)
Sensor Jammer (4)
Ion Cannon (3)

Total: 100

And my wife likes Y-Wings, so she'll be flying this against me soon:
Dagger Squadron Pilot (24)

Gray Squadron Pilot (20)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)
R2 Astromech (1)

Times two.

Would this fly nicely? 

Horton Salm (25)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)
R2-D6 (1)
Veteran Instincts (1)

"Dutch" Vander (23)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)
R7-T1 (3)

Ibtisam (28)
Elusiveness (2)
Sensor Jammer (4)
Ion Cannon (3)

Total: 100

And my wife likes Y-Wings, so she'll be flying this against me soon:

Dagger Squadron Pilot (24)

Gray Squadron Pilot (20)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)
R2 Astromech (1)

Times two.

Out of experience Horton works best with proton torpedoes. With the Ion Turret being range 1-2 and Horton ability being range 2-3 I find the synergy is not as good as you would have with double proton or double flechette torps.

Dagonet likes this

Y-wings paired with Hobbie Klivian with R3-A2 are awesome! In a recent match with one of my friends, I ionized Turr Phenir and shot him again with my second Y-wing. He had already pushed the limit, so next turn, he was directly in front of an asteroid. The he went through it, and landed a third hit. It was a revelation to me about Y-wings, which I had already liked.