Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Osoling

Educate me on how the Y-Wing is awesome. Go!

47 posts in this topic

I just recently picked up a Y-Wing, and was underwhelmed, and I am sure it's because I am not using it right.  Give me your thoughts on the Y-Wing, especially it's strengths and synergy with other ships.

As always, thanks for your insight to the game.  This is a great forum, and I appreciate the time you spend answering my posts.

O

(1) Never run without a turret. (Here, "Turret" means "Ion Cannon Turret".)

(2) Control your approach; keep your moves slow and steady, and plan at least a round ahead.

(3) After the initial merge--and potentially even before--try not to point your firing arc at your target(s). This makes it much harder for your opponent to focus fire.

(4) Remember that you're never going to pick up a knockout in the early rounds; you're playing rope-a-dope, and your eye is on the endgame.

The two named pilots can provide some interesting strategies. Especially if you get the transport xwing droid that gives you EPT. For example, Horton can get 5 dice @ range 3 with opportunist and torps (pricey tho!)

The Y-wing is not the best ship around, but is almost always a solid and dependable choice thath can take fair amount of damage before it goes down. IMHO it works best with an ion cannon, taking care of flankers without having to turn to meet them and being an all round disruptive force. Dutch Vander in particular is a very soild choice as his special ability is a good buff for friendly pilots. He and X-wing pilot Garven Dreiss work very well together, passing focus and target locks between each other.

Sel Antilles likes this

Ywings are all things good.

1. Fly with Ion Cannon Turret

2. Dutch Vander Synergizes with Garven Dreis and other token passers

3. Gold Squadron Pilots are amazing

4. Gray Squadron Pilots aren't really that great

5. Horton Salm is good, but there aren't many uses for him (I am working on a way to get him synergizing with anti swarm/phantom tactics)

They don't do damage, they control the board.

I've had plenty of success with turreted Y-Wings, but don't discount their torpedo slots either.  It's nearly impossible to kill them before they can fire, so the point investment is protected, and both unique pilots have abilities with strong synergy.

"Dutch" Vander (in any configuration) makes a solid wingman for the other PS6 Rebel pilots (especially Dreis and Katarn).  And I highly recommend taking Salm with two Proton Torpedoes in an elite Rebel squadron at least once.  The combination of his high Pilot Skill and ability makes for an absolutely deadly one-two punch.

Flying your opponent of the board is the funniest thing in this game. That's enough for me.

Dude, I got within an inch of doing that to a Defender the first time my friend used one. My whole gameplan was to take his shiny new ship out of the fight and it almost worked.

My regular build is Dutch with the almost mandatory Ion cannon turret upgrade. I've found him to be a great support ship. He sets up good shots for his wingman with his Ion cannon and hands off a target lock making it easier his wingman to land a solid hit. The Y-wing can also take a hit or two so he can hang on in there longer than an X-wing. 

I never fly them without turrets, but I don't fly them a lot because I usually fly imperial, but I have a friend who likes to throw in a I upgraded y wing all the time. They provide a nice distraction (that can take a lot of hits). Who are you going to shoot at the e wing with sensor jammer/stealth device or the y wing. It's dial isn't great, but there are worse ones out there and a cheap ship with only 2 attack dice isn't too bad.

That being said ion turrets are awesome. They are just not the only way to go.

(1) Never run without a turret. (Here, "Turret" means "Ion Cannon Turret".)

(2) Control your approach; keep your moves slow and steady, and plan at least a round ahead.

(3) After the initial merge--and potentially even before--try not to point your firing arc at your target(s). This makes it much harder for your opponent to focus fire.

(4) Remember that you're never going to pick up a knockout in the early rounds; you're playing rope-a-dope, and your eye is on the endgame.

Yup to all of the above here! The Y-wing is really only effective with a turret, and the Ion Cannon turret is the only viable turret right now. Hopefully in time a 3rd turret will be released. The trick is then figuring out how to tactically maximize the turret.

I had an untouched Soontir Fel with a stealth device and a focus token ionized while facing the wrong way just because the barrel roll wasn't enough to get out of range 2. The corner of my base ended up slightly off the board the following turn. I've had a healthy respect for Y-Wings with ion cannons since then.

Before Z-95s, I also used them as part of a Rebel swarm without any upgrades. They were great because they had so many hit points to chew through although they took a lot more work to fly effectively.

I wouldn't say that the Y-wing is ONLY effective with a turret. I've seen it run (especially Dutch, with his fairly easy to use Pilot ability) naked before with some success.

I don't think it's a consistently competitive option, but it's not suicide like running a HWK without a turret. You can probably find some decent builds that utilize Y-wings without Ion Cannon Turrets.

Y-Wing Pros:

• It looks awesome and is an iconic ship from the movies.
  • It's a relatively cheap way of getting an ion turret.
  • It's tough, nearly shuttle level tough.
  • It's dial, while not that great, still has K-Turns and hard turns that aren't red.  And if you're rocking a turret, who needs an awesome dial?
  • It can take astromechs - this is huge because there are now such a wealth of astromechs out there which can help a ship in any number of ways.

I was actually thinking Dutch might pair nicely with R7-T1.  Still gets to hand off a target lock to a friendly, and the free boost for being in an enemy weapons arc is a LOT easier to use on a turreted ship, as you can boost in pretty much any direction you want...you don't have to worry about keeping the enemy "in front of you" to shoot at them.

Theorycrafting, though - haven't tried it in practice.

chilligan and LavaDragon0308 like this

I have always loved Y wings, my first fighter model as a kid was a Y wing and i loved the fact i was the only kid on my block with one (with an R5 in the mech slot)

Been out of stock at my local store forever so was lucky to get two S/h off a friend.

At first i was underwhelmed by the sculpt, they look a little underscaled/starved against an x wing and the factory paint was mediocre.

But... once i was past the superficial stuff i played them with the build suggested in my 'y wing casual build thread'

Essentially Dutch with ion cannon and R5 wingmanned by a ps2 Gold pilot - both Y wings had ion turret

The two x wings, Garven and a Rookie

My y wings were tanks that soaked up dmage, cruised the centre and 'fixed' the enemy aces

Military doctrine... FIND, FIX, DESTROY... they excelled.   They moved in controlled the board centre, slowed down anyone tricky and the X wings got in 'out of arc' at range 1 and killed off each TIE varient one by one (the bomber took a couple of turns).

I ended up losing both Y's but R5 kept dutch in til the final round and he would have lived if i had not have K turned him for a suicide run to speed up the end.

Both X wings were unscathed.

After a repaint they may become stock staples ships in my rebel build.

Sarone and YwingAce like this

If you're willing to put a little more points into them I find an engine upgrade is a beautiful complement to the ion cannon.

Brings a gold squadron up to 27 points before droid or torps though... so I usually add an R5 and stop there.

Nasty little ship and surprising maneuverable thanks to the engine upgrade.

On a side note I think I may be addicted to Engine Upgrades... I have a tendency to at least try them on anything without a natural boost action.

Sarone likes this