Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Desslok

My not-awake brain has a stupid noobie question for you. . . .

13 posts in this topic

I was playing around with assorted character builds, contemplating the Unmatched Expertise when something occurred to me that sounded off.

Okay, here's the blindingly stupid question: what counts as a career skill. Say, hypothetically, I'm building a Politico. The Colonist career skills are, of course, Charm, Deception, Core Worlds, Education, Lore, Leadership, Negotiation and streetwise with the Politico bonus skills adding Coercion on top of a couple of duplicates.

I got that, that bits easy.

Now, I go an buy the Smuggler: thief specialization for her. You don't get the base career skills (the coordination, Underworld, Perception, Space and Skullduggery), but the Bonus Career skills of computers, Skullduggery, stealth and vigilance now count as career skills too, right?

Logically, I'd think yes - but my brain isn't processing correctly this morning (need. . . more. . . coffee . . . STAT!) and I wanted to be sure before making a fool of myself in real life (by making a fool anonymously on the internet first! :) )

Yep, any skill that doesn't cost the extra 5xp when you purchase a rank in it is a "Career skill", whether it came from your Career, your first Specialization, or any additional Specializations.

So yes, eventually you can make all checks with your Heavy Ranged into Simple checks... not sure how useful that would be...

There is no such mechanic...what are you referring to?

So yes, eventually you can make all checks with your Heavy Ranged into Simple checks... not sure how useful that would be...

Unmatched Expertise, the new signature ability from the new book. Quoted from another thread:

"Once per game session as an action, the character may spend 2 Destiny Points to reduce the difficulty of all career skill checks he makes by one, to a minimum of Easy for the remainder of the encounter."

There's an upgrade "Superior Reduction", "Once per session while Unmatched Expertise is active, may reduce the difficulty of one non-career skill"

I think Progressions is right, I just wasn't clear if new specializations became official "career skills". Kinda crazy that you can drop the diff of ranged Heavy or even Lightsaber attacks. Other upgrades, allow you to drop the diff by 2, and allow u to make it as low as Simple difficulty. I guess not too much more powerful then some of the other Sig abililites and Colonists needed some lovin, any other thoughts on any of this?

-EF

So once per session...for an encounter...you could make super-attacks with your Sidewinder laser-gatling gun? That does seem pretty OP but by the time you're at that level of skill I'd think you're either A) a hyper-focused build, which can leave you lacking in other areas or B) spread out and just THAT bad-ass! I need to read this book...!

Unmatched Expertise, the new signature ability from the new book. Quoted from another thread:

Ah...but that's not "all checks", it's once per session.