Sign in to follow this  
drseuss620

Stealth Gear

I am sure this question has come up multiple times but using the search function here is like looking for a needle in a stack of needles.

One of my players is playing a Guardsman (or woman as the case is) and wants to know what 'Stealth Gear' is and if it has any affect on game or if its just like a suit of camo or something. She also wants to know what the Imperial Guardsmans Uplifting Primer is and I couldn't answer... other than I think its a book written by Black Library.

Anything?

Your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

One of my players is playing a Guardsman (or woman as the case is) and wants to know what 'Stealth Gear' is and if it has any affect on game or if its just like a suit of camo or something.

Yep, stealth gear would be a suit with a camouflage pattern. You might want to hand out a little bonus for that because Dark Heresy depends on little bonuses - unmodified rolls almost always have a really low chance of success, so stuff your players with bonuses whenever they come up with something halfway clever. Like using a camouflage suit to conceal themselves with.

She also wants to know what the Imperial Guardsmans Uplifting Primer is and I couldn't answer... other than I think its a book written by Black Library.

The Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer is a book every regular guardsman is given and expected to know by heart (and carry with him, at the penalty of being shot for not doing so - but IIRC there's six pages of the book dedicated to what offenses you can get shot for, so that's not that much of a coincidence).
It contains lots of regulations (as I said before: What to do in order to not get shot), some useful info (like how to fashion grenades into booby traps and some basic first aid), some... not quite as useful info (Orks are not as strong as they look and Tau all have very poor eyesight and are lousy shots) and several prayers.

If you have the chance, get the book. It's well-written and definitely worth the price.

I always find it funny when people realise that the average guardsman cant actually read the Uplifting Primer, just look at the pictures! Especially considering there are rules concerning knowing ot off by heart too....

And along the lines of Cifer's post - our GM gave me a +5 concealment bonus for wearing the stealth gear. Nothing huge but it is at least something.

S.K

With the Primer, the Guards probbably learn it by rote during indoctrination.  Being able to read just isn't an essential skill for your fodder.

The cameleoline cloak is a much higher tech version of your average camouflage gear. It hands out a +20 bonus to concealment and makes the wearer count as one distance farther away in a firefight if he doesn't move. I'd assume ordinary camouflage would give a +10.

Then regarding the uplifting primer I think I will allow them to treat some skills as general skills but if they fail by a certain degree they got the wrong info entirely and something very bad happens.

You could make a Smith or something liek that to take a Calmeleoen Cloack and A Flack Armour and make it a Cameleoen armour there is a Example in the book, It probely gonan cost abit but its good d;

You'd be fair to let the player have +10 for stealth gear of the correct type for the surroundings. Id make sure they covered there head or wore camo face paints to gain the full +10 though as thats the biggest give away.

If you want a good idea of what Veteran Guardsmen think of the Primer, then read "Fifteen Hours".  The part where it gets used as toilet paper is funny.

If one of my players uses one he gets the same boni as if using a cameoline cloak, but only to the according surroundings. My assassin-player allready wanted to know the 'best' stealth gear someone could buy. I voted for cameoline cloak, stummers, and hardened body glove with the stealth-upgrade. it just costs 1425 Thrones, which is cheaper and more effective than a layer of synskin.