Sign in to follow this  
Alderaan Crumbs

Extended duelist hilt?

Apologies, it's "Curved" not "Duelist"! I was focusing on the description. To be more precise, it's a lightsaber hilt option. There are three: Curved, Extended and Superior. The last is the usual Superior. Extended benefits from a more powerful, two-handed grip and Curved "is preferred by duelists and practitioners of the lightsaber combat form Makashi. This modification allows both for better control and flexibility when handling the lightsaber and for more force behind overhand strikes."

I was wondering what others felt about an extended and curved (and why not superior!) hilt.

I don't have the F&D beta but it seems to me this is the same deal as the previously discussed 'Serrated/Monomolecular Edge' thing. So by RAW it is allowed (unless F&D specifically states that you may only have one hilt), but the GM, as always, can veto it if he/she feels it shouldn't be possible.

Unless there are more lightsaber mods coming in the full game, I'm inclined to say that yes, you can have an extended curved hilt. The book specifically calls out that you can only have one crystal at a time, and they take up 2 HP—and the basic lightsaber hilt has 5 HP to play with.

But I'd discuss with your GM first, to make sure you're on the same page.

-EF

It was more of a question of flavor, you know? My mind keeps going back to Dooku's lightsaber and trying to picture a duelist using a two-handed hilt. I guess it could be like Kendo. In any case, no matter the hilt lightsaber customization is awesome!

It was more of a question of flavor, you know? My mind keeps going back to Dooku's lightsaber and trying to picture a duelist using a two-handed hilt. I guess it could be like Kendo. In any case, no matter the hilt lightsaber customization is awesome!

I just hope that the full book has more attachments for lightsabers. With 3 HP leftover after the crystal, I'd like to do more than just superior customization, dual-phase, and extended hilt, y'know?

-EF

So by RAW it is allowed (unless F&D specifically states that you may only have one hilt), but the GM, as always, can veto it if he/she feels it shouldn't be possible.

Is that actually RAW? Do you have a page number off hand or did I just miss a sentence in the Mods/Attachments rules?

Prospective GM wants to know...

Two hilts will have to wait until we have rules for light-chuks.

Now from EvilE Wepons Manufactory, I give you...

LASER-SWORD-CHUCKS!

osnpwutlolatfate_2094.JPG

For when you absolutely need to dismember yourself and everything else within the Short range band!

No refunds.  Buyer assumes all liability.

I just hope that the full book has more attachments for lightsabers. With 3 HP leftover after the crystal, I'd like to do more than just superior customization, dual-phase, and extended hilt, y'know?

-EF

I agree. Maybe a mod that masks the (inactive) saber from detection devices? A gene-lock hilt that stuns anyone foolish enough to use it besides the owner? Heck, what about a mystical focus mod that bonds the wielder to the weapon and allows Move to affect the lightsaber for free/at reduced cost? An organic version that bolsters Strain somehow? An invisible/or black blade for assassins? A cortosis dagger that extends from the hilt for the off chance the saber's shut down? A special hilt that allows it to be stored in a cyber-limb and eject as per Quick Draw?

So many possibilities...

Edited by Alderaan Crumbs

I'm looking forward to the Force-activated attachment. In the Young Jedi Knights books, there were lightsabers that could only be activated by the Force, thus making it impossible for them to be used against them by non-Force users.

-EF

That would be awesome! Oh, did you notice that the Ilum crystal is listed a 1 HP? One wee oopsie so far.

I'm looking forward to the Force-activated attachment. In the Young Jedi Knights books, there were lightsabers that could only be activated by the Force, thus making it impossible for them to be used against them by non-Force users.

-EF

That would be awesome! Oh, did you notice that the Ilum crystal is listed a 1 HP? One wee oopsie so far.

The description is 1 HP, but the table lists it as 2. Since the other crystals are 2 HP, I do agree it's an error.

-EF

So by RAW it is allowed (unless F&D specifically states that you may only have one hilt), but the GM, as always, can veto it if he/she feels it shouldn't be possible.

Is that actually RAW? Do you have a page number off hand or did I just miss a sentence in the Mods/Attachments rules?

Prospective GM wants to know...

As I stated I don't have F&D so I'm just basing this off of the precedent set by the Serrated Edge and Monomolecular Edge attachments in EotE and AoR.

In the case of those two there's been some discussion whether they are both allowed on the same weapon considering they take up the same space on the weapon. By RAW there is no rule regarding an 'edge slot' to put your attachment, so as long as you have the HP you can install both Edge attachments.

So unless F&D states at some point that you may only install one hilt attachment you can, unless your GM vetos it, install as many as your HP allow.

By RAW there is no rule regarding an 'edge slot' to put your attachment, so as long as you have the HP you can install both Edge attachments.

That's what I thought. Since I'll be GM... I'm not likely to care.

I've always assumed that in a galaxy of hyperdrives and the Force, a serrated mono-edge isn't too odd. :)

Seriously. It could even be a fractal mono-razor...

From EvlE Inc, the new Infinity Blade Face Shaver now has Infinity + One Blades!

With the Extra Blue Lubrication Strip!

Also check out the New! and Improved! Wookie Shaver 600000!

* Remember to always properly tranquilize Wookies before shaving. EvilE Inc does not accept liability for forceably removed limbs.

I see no problem with swinging around a long hilted, curved Lightsaber. It makes sense, too; you have one hand on the straight hilt, and another on the extended and curved bit. Or have that order be reversed. Whatever works for you!

As with many things in this game, it’s up the GM.

Speaking only for myself, the reason the curved hilt might make sense is that it could give you more control over the blade by using the pinkie and ring fingers while the thumb and index finger could act as a fulcrum, thus allowing you to not only move the blade just that fraction of an arc-second more quickly, but also in a more unpredictable fashion allowing you more opportunities to re-target at the last moment and hit the opponent somewhere that they weren’t expecting — because they don’t have a curved hilt and they’re not familiar with that particular style of fighting.

A longer hilt is more useful with two-handed styles, as you would expect.

However, a longer hilt that has a curved section towards the pommel does neither of these things — when you hold it one-handed, you can’t reach the curved part.  When you hold it two-handed, the second hand can’t properly line up on the curved part — think about trying to swing a baseball bat or a golf club using two hands, but with a curved section at the end of the handle.

So, for me, I would say that you would have one and only one hilt per weapon — either curved or long, but not both.  But maybe that’s just me and my previous experience with fencing and sword fighting in the SCA.