Sign in to follow this  
UnfairBanana

Price hikes

We all noticed it when the Decimator came along with it's $40 price tag. Now we have a small ship at $20. Is it just me or is this hobby starting to get more expensive?

Also, someone explain to me WHY it costs more. I get that yes, the Decimator is pretty big and it's a lot of plastic. Took that one with a grain of salt. But this thing isn't that big. Don't try saying that it's "so much more plastic" than everything else. That can't be right.

Edit: Alright, lemme clarify. Let's get some speculation as to why, as opposed to the "this sucks" or "deal with it" comments.

Edited by UnfairBanana

It is most definitely larger and uses more plastic than the other small based ships, whether you think that is right or not.

There is no "price increase". The Star Viper is $20. That's its price point. The other ships are not increasing. The M3-A is listed as $14.95.

The Star Viper simply has a night price point than the other small based ships, the same as the Decimator has a higher price point than the previously released large ships.

There is no conspiracy here and FFG never said every small ship would be $14.95. That's just your expectation and is shown to not be correct.

Buy it, or don't. But don't act like FFG is screwing you because they aren't.

Jim

Also, the price of plastic like that is incredibly cheap.  Incredibly.  Like, the increase of cost from the Decimator to the Xwing is perhaps only 2 cents.  

Labor of painting and cost of packaging volume taken up has more to do with the cost I feel.  Still, I bet its not as much as the price tag.  They're just trying to gouge us with the already naive concept that a bigger piece of plastic costs a lot more.  

For the Most Wanted pack sure. Three ships for 45 is fine, and expected.

But why is another small ship getting bumped up? Saying it costs more because it does isn't really productive towards the thread. Speculate. Contribute. Don't just be a jerk.

It's not "bigger," it's "taller." It's also rather flat. It isn't much bigger than a B-wing.

Spaceman: if it were inflation, why not the rest of the ships? Wouldn't make a whole lotta sense for one ship to inflate even before launch.

Edited by UnfairBanana

For the Most Wanted pack sure. Three ships for 45 is fine, and expected.

But why is another small ship getting bumped up? Saying it costs more because it does isn't really productive towards the thread. Speculate. Contribute. Don't just be a jerk.

It's not "bigger," it's "taller." It's also rather flat. It isn't much bigger than a B-wing.

Spaceman: if it were inflation, why not the rest of the ships? Wouldn't make a whole lotta sense for one ship to inflate even before launch.

True. Maybe the bigger front piece needs an extra step to build so takes a bit more manpower. Edited by Spaceman91

I'm gunna say that inflation had to push it up at some point. I just assume that its just this. Still nowhere near as bad as other games ( yer I'm looking at you GW )

But it isn't an across the board price hike on small ships.  The M3-A is stil shown as $14.95.  ONLY the Star Viper has the increase.  So it's either because it's bigger, uses more plastic, takes more labor to assemble and paint, uses a slightly larger package, etc.  Whatever the reason, it's pretty clear that it is not FFG just trying to screw people (which is what the OP comes across as implying).  Just like none of the large ships have gone up except the Decimator.  If there was an across the board hike, the Outrider would be $40 as well and it isn't.

Jim

If they were going to price hike they'd do it like GW and make every ship in wave six more expensive, this clearly isn't the case, though it's a small base it's probably going to need different packaging.

When every release prices jump up then you have my permission to cry, for one ship it's a non issue.

I guess someone calculated (through "smart" math from an economics class) that there will be less demand of the Star Viper than of other ships before, so wtih a smaller sales prediction they put the price up to the "optimal" point where a price increase won't damage the predicted sales too much, but still makes up for the units they will sell less due to the predicted lower demand - this will even out the cost-gains calculation and at the very least turn the release of the Star Viper into a black zero

... or something else...

Edited by 0rph3u5

I guess someone calculated (through "smart" math from an economics class) that there will be less demand of the Star Viper than of other ships before, so wtih a smaller sales prediction they put the price up to the "optimal" point where a price increase won't damage the predicted sales too much, but still makes up for the units they will sell less due to the predicted lower demand - this will even out the cost-gains calculation and at the very least turn the release of the Star Viper into a black zero

... or something else...

Something else is probably right. Except if they hired some kind of expert who worked for GW.

Could be related to the effort needed to paint it.

I agree that the size shouldn't really factor in in terms of raw materials (i.e. using more plastic), but the time length and or number of hand painting steps required might be a big factor in final price.

I still think it's probably because the cheapest pilot is over 25 points so you can only put 3 in 100 points.

Then why aren't the TIE Defender and the E-Wing priced at $20?  Your theory makes no logical sense.

Edit:  Dammit, double ninja'd!

Jim

Edited by Emrico