Sign in to follow this  
Gadge

Stay on target... Hi all from a new(ish) Uk player.

Hi Guys

Gadge here from Nottingham in the UK.   Newish to the game but been working in the wargames and airsoft industry (GW, AI, AA and freelance) for about 15 years now.

Really loving Xwing and it's burning a hole in my pocket.

Was mucking about with a lego TIE window and my camera phone the other day, thought you might like this!

stayontarget_zps25d41b15.jpg

Yup go for it,I'm 'gadge europa' on FB as its my pename for most mags i write for and the name i play in the band with (being an occasional teacher makes having your driving licence name on FB a *bad* move).

We've got a Nottingham group of really cool, easy going players called 'Dagmar Squadron' (i live on a street called Dagmar).

I'll add you to that too if you add me on Fb

Cheers!

G

I sort of got pulled into this by my friend Andy (who freelances for FFG) and then ended up recruiting a lot of my RPG and Tabletop mates into playing so we're building up a pretty good player base in my area.

I'm not struggling to get games which is good, compared to some systems where i possibly play once or twice a year (try getting a game of any non Flames of War WWII game and i hate FOW).

Probably helps that the missus is a bit of a geek, loves the game and plays (and usually defeats me) a couple of times a week.

pic3_zps5fbc34b3.jpg

And Surrey, there's such few X-wing players here!

I've been to Nottingham for wargaming (at a well known place) and they do have quite a nice pub attached i'll say that.

Also good to see another airsoft player too. Whilst maintaining the UK stereotype of moaning, anyone else think we get a bit of a bum deal with costs?

Meh last time I was in bugmans they took my money then forgot to cook my order, then when I asked where my meal was they tried to blame me saying I must of been in the main hall even though the group of us had all been sat at the table for nearly an hour.

Yeah its a shame that venue recently went back to their own policy of only house games.

I'm the assistant editor on Airsoft Action, believe me the stores don't make that much on sales, they get pretty screwed over too when they import.  The markups are not as high as you'd think.  But yeah we pay through the nose for some things... but then we do have full auto gaming, we're allowed AEGs over one joule and we dont have to paint half our guns orange or have an orange barrel like some states and countries so it could be worse... at least once you're *in* the game you're not being 'big brothered'.

Cheers

G

Meh last time I was in bugmans they took my money then forgot to cook my order, then when I asked where my meal was they tried to blame me saying I must of been in the main hall even though the group of us had all been sat at the table for nearly an hour.

Fluctuates wildly, i used to manage 'Organised Play' at Lenton between 2001 and 2005 (campaigns, open days, hobby day and games day content but not tourneys...) during those years Bugmans was brilliant. But then they had a crisis... were they a coffee bar for staff or a stop off for gamers?   Staff wanted video games and pool tables but management thought making 'the best games in the world' then having other entertainment in the bar looked bad... a succession of average to poor managers after Mike Owen left meant standards really dropped in Bugmans.    I've been in recently to meet up with mates for the post tourny quiz night and it was being ran really well again.... just a shame we cant play Xwing there.

We got married on July 26th after six years 'living in sin' :)

When you find a woman who loves Star Wars, plays airsoft, plays wargames, likes the same music as you and is **** pretty I think you've got to do the decent thing and marry them!

Oh she loves Lego too, we had a lego themed wedding as we're both really immature!

here is us cutting a lego themed cake (it has lego builder dudes 'fixing it' and chefs running around and lego bride and groom on top)

10442551_10154417518325181_4120312189710

Hello!

I registered an account upon discovering your post, I thought I'd stop consuming everyone's replies and start posting myself. Greeting from Lincoln, Lincolnshire!

Edited by le12ro

Hello!

I registered an account upon discovering your post, I thought I'd stop consuming everyone's replies and start posting myself. Greeting from Lincoln, Lincolnshire!

Welcome from another Midlander.   Lincoln is lovely.  I actually proposed to Sian in the Bishops Palace bit outside the cathedral!

Hello!

Welcome from another Midlander.   Lincoln is lovely.  I actually proposed to Sian in the Bishops Palace bit outside the cathedral!

Odd place to ask her to start playing x-wing with you but must of worked.

Hello!

Odd place to ask her to start playing x-wing with you but must of worked.

Oh, nice. That is a nice place indeed to propose to someone. It's really nice there during the Christmas Market too, as they open the place for a medieval market. 

Almost didnt happen.   She sort of knew i was going to ask her that day and had her heart set on being asked in the castle grounds.

By the time we'd finished having a meal with friends in lincoln and headed over there it had shut for the day.... so i took her to the cathedral.  As luck would have it autumn sunshine shone through the medieval stained glass windows and a choir was rehearsing.

I said 'wouldnt this be a nice setting to propose' to which I was curtly told 'I wanted you to ask me in a castle'

So i though oh well and headed out, went round the corner and found the 'bishops palace', i said 'a palace is a sort of castle'

she smiled so I got down on one knee and asked her to marry me....  then i realised i'd left the ring in the car... luckily she still said yes!

:)

True story that, lame, romantic, sappy but true.