Sign in to follow this  
Lordmonfort

New player help.

I just happened to catch a X-wing game a few weeks ago and was totally fascinated with the simplicity of play, but yet depth of strategy and decided to pull the trigger and join in on the fun. I found several sources giving advice to new players and tried to take the most from that. I bought 2 Core Sets, an X-Wing and Tie Fighter, and then chose to go with the Empire Aces box set and the YT-1300, for a bit of variety. 

This weekend I hope to place an order and expand my fleets a bit, but had a question as a new player. While I understand that most players will suggest you buy atleast one of each ship, if not for the cards themselves, are there any ships that one could consider somewhat obsolete at this point? I keep seeing remarks that a Tie-Ad may not be really that important now as it was when the Wave 1 ships came out. Same goes for Tie Interceptors with people suggesting that a Tie Phantom may be a better option now. Some of the new Wave 4 ships seem to be really stepping up to the plate and rather than buying Y-wings and TIE-Ad, it may be better to invest in either B or E wings and some Tie Defenders and Phantoms... any thoughts or advice for a new player?

. I bought 2 Core Sets, an X-Wing and Tie Fighter, and then chose to go with the Empire Aces box set and the YT-1300, for a bit of variety.

Welcome to the game :) That's a great starting point for your collection.

are there any ships that one could consider somewhat obsolete at this point?

No not really. The Tie Advanced was never very popular, because it costs too much. But it's still worth having if just for Vader. The HWK-290 is a good ship but since it's mostly a support craft you won't really need a bunch of them.

Wave 4 is great, but it didn't really drive anything out of the game. Y-Wings, Tie Interceptors, X-Wings are still just as effective now as they were in Wave 1.

The best advice I can give... is just buy em all lol. Its a matter of time, you will end up doing it anyway, so you might as well come to grips with it now and collect them all haha; and multiples of each.

I've already found myself headed down that dark, dark path ;)

I'm not saying I want to omit ever buying any particular ship, but say you have a choice between one or another...one you get now, and one to get later. I know player styles vary, but it is very interesting to see one person discuss how one ship is not really that great, and find another one say the complete opposite. I guess it is a testament to how well FF make their games. 

Welcome to the game! I to recently got into it and have had a blast learning and participating with the amazing community that this game has.

Honestly buy one of each ship at least, I know that is an echo of what a lot of people have and will say but it is really great advice. 

And remember you won't be fielding that YT-1300 much because you fly for the good guys. The Imperials stand for peace and prosperity across a corrupt and confused galaxy. Do your part and help stem the tide of rebellion!

Anyone that tell you a Y-wing is obsolete has yet to feel the frustration of having a very expensive ship simply 'drift' off the board...

A ship is only as obsolete as you decide it is. I'm not an excellent player, but i'd like to think that any ship can be played at least effectively in a particular situation. Best thing you can do is start playing and see what kind of strategy works for you, from there you'll find the ships that really appeal to you.

A side note, be prepared to wait a little for the YT-1300. They're making more now so they should be out in a few weeks. And as a side side note, welcome to X-wing!

Yes you will eventually buy all of them just a matter of time haha. But for now I would def say your next purchase should be a phantom. Learn that ship because you will be seeing a lot of it I guarantee. I play both sides actually but recently been playing empire to get a feel for the phantom and defenders strengths and weaknesses. The firespray and shuttle would be my next purchase after the phantom if I was you. Welcome to the game smiley-sw013.gif

Welcome to the game, I have only been playing since February and you could not have picked a better time to get into the game due to wave 4 being out for a bit and rebel aces and wave 5 on the horizon. As far as ships being obsolete, I don't think any of them are. The Tie-Advanced doesn't get love due to points but everything is workable (I have a friend that loves playing Vader with a mini-swarm). If you really like Imperials the firespray would be a good next choice, or if you want something hypermobile the phantom, or perhaps a defender. ALL of them are good choices.

If you're playing rebels, get some b-wings! If you're playing imperials, stock up tie fighters, maybe a couple of defenders(mostly for the sweet upgrades), at least 1 phantom. When I first started I used http://xwing-miniatures.wikia.com/wiki/X-Wing_Miniatures_Wiki to help me determine what ships I wanted to buy. Also http://xwing-builder.co.uk/build helped me figure out what items came with which expansions.

Cheers and welcome to the club!

Edited by Scizzler

Welcome to the game! I to recently got into it and have had a blast learning and participating with the amazing community that this game has.

Honestly buy one of each ship at least, I know that is an echo of what a lot of people have and will say but it is really great advice. 

And remember you won't be fielding that YT-1300 much because you fly for the good guys. The Imperials stand for peace and prosperity across a corrupt and confused galaxy. Do your part and help stem the tide of rebellion!

Yeah...it's been about 10 years since I have done any miniature wargaming, but the mechanics seem really solid so far. Was also surprised to see a game that allowed players to play Rebels vs Rebels and vice versa. Seems like a lot of flexibility. I resonate with every ship so far out of sheer nostalgia and love for the SW Universe, but hear comments about how specific ships are good only in larger point value games, or ineffective due to either the ships characteristics, or point values....so being prudent, I figured I would try to get some direction on my second haul. I'm thinking putting $100-$150 on this order, so was thinking if even ordering 2 of a particular ship might be a better option than one of everything...

Where and how do you play? Will it be at a store, where other people have their own ships? Or will you play at home with people who maybe aren't as skillful and invested as you? Or both?

This is an excellent resource to check what upgrades come with what ship and what they do:

http://xwing-miniatures.wikia.com/wiki/X-Wing_Miniatures_Wiki

I suggest at least one Advanced, because of Vader who can still be a might beast, and two Y-Wings, who also come with regular R2 units which can come in very handy.

A regular TIE Interceptor, to get you all the pilots, including Soontir Fel.

A Slave I will give you access to Gunner to help Han and Stealth Devices for your Interceptors for instance.

Some Bombers perhaps.

I would suggest you take the A-Wing and Phantom last, not because they are bad ships but the other ships are more easily put into coherent lists that are also fun to fly for the casual crowd. The A-Wing will get a fix and a buff when Rebel Aces comes out.

Where and how do you play? Will it be at a store, where other people have their own ships? Or will you play at home with people who maybe aren't as skillful and invested as you? Or both?

Going to probably be a little bit of both. Small groups tend to be pretty fun, but you close yourself to guys using the same strategies where a store might bring in guys with different ideas and things you and your buds might not have thought about. At the moment, I think most will be done at home with a few friends that I will slowly convert, but I plan to at least go to local stores and spectate and see how players build their fleets and  pick up on strategies I may not have thought of. I see two local stores here in Raleigh, NC that have Monday events, but I'll have to see how much that interferes with normal life. 

I have a 4 year old, and sometimes, I may not just be able to get out of the house for gaming, but on the other hand, my wife has actually been pretty supportive about my spending all this money for little plastic ships once again. ;)

Buy at least one of everything, but to start out:

For Imps:

2x TIE Interceptor

Slave-1

TIE Fighter

TIE Defender/Phantom

For Rebs:

2x A-wing

B-wing

X-wing

Y-wing

Thanks for that....you see, in many videos and postings, I always see negative views about both Interceptors and A-Wings due to how fragile they are. I've seen the Interceptor referred to as a "Glass Cannon" and the A-wing as worthless, but at that point, mandatory to get "Push the Limits"...

Oh A-Wings are great fun, zooming around the board and all that, but with Rebel Aces you might want to wait to buy a second one, same with the B-Wing.

Especially with home games, just get some stuff that people will get. Fly something with Vader and a bunch of TIE's versus two X-Wings and two Y-Wings for instance. Very recognizable from the movies. Then expand from there.

Oh, and look for DagobahDave's thread here on X-Wing Racing, which is great fun to do if you don't want to blast each other into smithereens (though you can, if you want to, while racing).

Id wait for rebel aces before you get awings (hopefully sept/Oct). That box has some Awing cards that are almost mandatory to use them effectively. It also contains a Bwing so you might want to skip that expansion too (upgrade cards are pretty meh anyway).

Edit

**** ninja!

Edited by Joostuh

I've seen the Interceptor referred to as a "Glass Cannon" and the A-wing as worthless, but at that point, mandatory to get "Push the Limits"...

You have Imp Aces, so you already have 2 Push the Limit or PtL as we say here. But I'd recommend getting at least 1 more Interceptor for the sake of the cards that come with it.

For the A-Wing it's not worthless, just that like the Interceptor it's a bit tricky to use, because it's pretty fragile. But when Rebel Aces comes out, with a A-Wing and a B-Wing there will be an upgrade in there that has a negative cost for A-Wings making them more effective.

But like the Interceptors, I'd recommend getting at least one of the normal expansions for the cards and pilots in there and not just get Rebel Aces.

Id wait for rebel aces before you get awings (hopefully sept/Oct). That box has some Awing cards that are almost mandatory to use them effectively. It also contains a Bwing so you might want to skip that expansion too (upgrade cards are pretty meh anyway).

Edit

**** ninja!

As an old SW roleplayer, I was always a big fan of both A-wing and B-wings...more so than X and Ys. 

Welcome to the forums matey:-)

I really wouldn't rule out any ship-they all have their strengths/weaknesses... Me? I love ties/interceptors/shuttles & fire sprays for imps and a, x, y & z's for rebels although I do use all additional ships dependent on my mood/opponents (obviously tourney lists are taken a little more seriously than "my mood"). Sorry to sound like a parrot but "buy all the things" really is the best advice. limit it to 1 or 2 of each type initially until you know what ships you a) find pretty (that'll be interceptors for the imps and y's & z's for the rebels if you have any taste;-) and b) enjoy flying. In a normal build you'll rarely go over 2 ships of one type - mini swarms aside. You may end up like some of the guys I play with who love entire B-wing builds or others who love a's & x's, who knows...

Finally if you are money limited see if you can concentrate on one faction and leave the other faction to someone else...

Finally if you are money limited see if you can concentrate on one faction and leave the other faction to someone else...

But the other faction has all the nice upgrades.  :(

After picking one faction only when getting into this game recently I have to agree with some of this statement. 

But the other faction has all the nice upgrades.  :(

After picking one faction only when getting into this game recently I have to agree with some of this statement. 

The only downside to that is that I also plan to bring some friends that are SW fans, but not gamers into the fold, so it's crucial to have two balanced sides. 

My two ways of thinking right now are to order pretty much one of everything, even ships that don't initially appeal to me to have some experience with them in the game. The other is to find some of the ships that do appeal to me, and pick up 2 of those and develop those builds....(Interceptors,Defenders,Phantoms---A/B/Headhunters)

If I were to just buy one of each right now, are there any ships that I can expect to perform poorly by themselves (i.e. just having one of a type in a fleet), that would have a dramatic improvement with a wingman? (say instead of having one A-wing, having 2+ in a fleet)

Welcome, Tie Adv, isn't worth it until you have everything else, Y-wings ARE NEVER NOT WORTH IT. Y's aren't hated but they don't get much love, I would take a Y over a B any day of the week. E-wings are great, and Interceptor is worth it since you got the imp aces, as it contains best squint pilots.