Sign in to follow this  
Jan Schattling

Playing the good guys!

I have never acknowledged the existence of a seperate imperial army. Stormtroopers ARE the army.

Right. Long time ago I think that grey uniform imperials where the "regular army", black uniforms where the navy and stormtroopers where the elite troopers.

This was off-canon info. I wish that Rebels clear my doubts :D

I have never acknowledged the existence of a seperate imperial army. Stormtroopers ARE the army.

Right. Long time ago I think that grey uniform imperials where the "regular army", black uniforms where the navy and stormtroopers where the elite troopers.

I like stormtrooper legions as a largely separate force within the military, makes them more interesting. That said I also prefer to use Stormtroopers over Army regulars in may cases, but it's nice to have something other then the boys in white from time to time...

Sylph, mate, I'm Pro Rebel, Pro Jedi, Pro "Good Guys", Pro Canon, Pro Human-Right, Pro Ecology, Pro Maelora (XD) and Anti-Fascist, Anti-Totalitarian, Anti-Racist but this doesn't mean that I have to offend other people here.

I'm hardly pro-canon :) but I'm everything else Josep mentions here.

And Erik, you're making your own side look bad.  Please stop. 

I like stormtrooper legions as a largely separate force within the military, makes them more interesting. That said I also prefer to use Stormtroopers over Army regulars in may cases, but it's nice to have something other then the boys in white from time to time...

By canon (New Dawn), at least we know that there are female stormtroopers now, so it's not just the "boys" in white.

By canon (New Dawn), at least we know that there are female stormtroopers now, so it's not just the "boys" in white.

Reeeaaaaaaalllly? That's interesting...

Mind providing a quote? I'm surprised to the point I have trouble believing you without additional supporting information.

But that was established several years ago under the "old" EU with the Essential Guide to Warfare, and probably in other sources before that.

Mind providing a quote? I'm surprised to the point I have trouble believing you without additional supporting information.

"The clamor inside The Asteroid Belt lessened only a little as the stormtroopers--one male and three female--made their way inside, blasters handy but not raised." -- New Dawn, page 138.

"The clamor inside The Asteroid Belt lessened only a little as the stormtroopers--one male and three female--made their way inside, blasters handy but not raised." -- New Dawn, page 138.

OK now that's fascinating...

Barring a CS Goto style pants on head conversion of a non-star wars manuscript to a star wars one, followed by a story group skim job, that's a pretty clear and intentional calling out of lady troopers...

Female stormtrooper is awesome! It seems, perhaps, the sexist nature of the empire is being altered. Now they just hate non humans!

As to the stormtroopers being the 'army', the way I see it the galaxy far far away doesn't have military structure like many modern nation. I don't see the need for a military occupation force on the ground when the threat from bombardment from orbit would keep most systems in line. Important installations such as death stars and endor bunkers (or the rare places the empire deems a true threat) would recieve a garrison, also where a stationary star destroyer presence.

Most planets, I personally see it, have their own defense force - even non human ones. If you need to invade or assault something (or guard a secret weapon factory) you use stormtroopers.

A New Dawn also features a female officer commanding a star destroyer and absolutely no mention of her having to overcome her gender or any such to be found. The Empire still appears to have a pro-human bias, but the sexism doesn't seem to be there.

Edited the title from Rebel Dawn to A New Dawn. Not sure what I was thinking.

Edited by HappyDaze

Still, sexism aside, female officers have been around for a while, female troopers are a pretty new thing, and with the canon wipe having em show up in new media is a bit of a big deal.

Of course there's still room for retconning and/ore errataing if it was indeed something that just slipped though the cracks. But for now it looks intentional. I was expecting something something more like a random typo-looking "her" where there could have just as easily been a "he."

Rebel Dawn also features a female officer commanding a star destroyer and absolutely no mention of her having to overcome her gender or any such to be found. The Empire still appears to have a pro-human bias, but the sexism doesn't seem to be there.

As much as I hate the character, I seem to recall that it was pretty clearly mentioned that the only reason Daala was made an admiral because she was schtooping Tarkin, that he stashed her in the Maw was to hide her away from the navy in general.

If we include some of the art from x-wing, the sexist days of the empire seem to indeed be gone! There are ar least two cards with unnamed female imperial officers.

As for the maw, daala qualifications and much more... it is legends so it is in a state of quantom superposition - it may or may not exist at the same time, until the story team fires off the new canon. <---- I intentionally used the whole cannon/canon thing..

Rebel Dawn also features a female officer commanding a star destroyer and absolutely no mention of her having to overcome her gender or any such to be found. The Empire still appears to have a pro-human bias, but the sexism doesn't seem to be there.

As much as I hate the character, I seem to recall that it was pretty clearly mentioned that the only reason Daala was made an admiral because she was schtooping Tarkin, that he stashed her in the Maw was to hide her away from the navy in general.

My problem with Daala isn't that I feel she's incompetent. She does fine when not facing the unbeatable heroes of the Alliance, Jedi or superweapons even more difficult to destroy then the Death Stars. The probelm is that KJA has a bad habit of making any forces not belonging to the three categories I mentioned that she faces either absurdly out gunned, or crewed by officers and enlisted personnel who just barely managed to graduate from McHale's Starfleet's training program

The probelm is that KJA is a terrible author and should be banned from further mangling the art of literature.

I fixed it for you.

True though why did you have to let the horrors of reading the Dune books he co-wrote out of the nice locked room in my memory that they were imprisoned in? :(

Dude, you invoked Kevin J ******* Anderson.

Dag nab it, the profanity filter won't allow me to express the true range of my distaste for this affront to the writing profession.

What, you can't just sayb******* on these forums?

Dude, you invoked Kevin J ******* Anderson.

Dag nab it, the profanity filter won't allow me to express the true range of my distaste for this affront to the writing profession.

True trust me if I could I would forget everything he wrote that I had ever read, except maybe one chapter of one Star Wars book he wrote. (I actually liked the Wedge and Ackbar wargame scene)

I hate to admit it, but the Death Star run by committee bit was actually pretty clever. Mind you, the rest of the book(s) were ass, but the having to submit a report before firing the Superlaser was funny.

Yeah that was amusing, and like I mentioned I like the wargame where Wedge beats Ackbar because Wedge set his fleet so it appeared to be vulnerable to an Ackbar Slash then hammered Ackbar, who failed to realize it was a trap until it was too late.

I know I'm rezzing an old thread, but I'd just like to say that "playing the good guys" is the leading reason I haven't picked up any of FFG's rpgs. The black and white dichotomy in the canon SW universe is too restrictive. Give me gray jedi and teetering Sith. The SW setting needs more moral ambiguity, and I'm hoping to see some of it leak into the new movies. Well-intentioned but mislead Stormtroopers isn't only the more compelling story; it's the one people in the US and Europe should best relate to.

Edited by D351