Sign in to follow this  
Jan Schattling

Playing the good guys!

An Imperial supplement sure. I see that happening as it would be a good supplement for the AoR line. An Imperial Core Rulebook? No. Basically it would be the AoR CRB written from the Imperial standpoint. If the posts on the forum talking about how AoR was too repetitious in comparison to EotE weren't excessive, I can only imagine how they would be if they did an Imperial CRB. An Imperial supplement with some notes on running an Imperial campaign would be more than sufficiant.

Edited by mouthymerc

Oh I agree a CRB wouldn't make sense. I've been toying with an imperial short campaign based on Black Hawk Down and Lone Survivor. After playing AoR yesterday and seeing mass combat rules work I believe easily be done for a select group.

I believe Disney will make the wisest financial decision.

Staying well away from casting the franchise they spent $4 billion on as The Awesome Adventures of Space Al Qaeda is the wisest financial decision in the long run.

Like I say, if you wanna play these guys

o-LONE-SURVIVOR-facebook.jpg

In Star Wars, play them as Rebel Commandos

Endorsoldiers.png

Edited by Sylpheed

So you just enjoy messing with threads like this and see people lose focus on facilitating other people's enjoyment of the game? Is that your goal.

Anyways, You can find lots of older sources that discuss imperial army formations and organizstion. Troop complements for garrisons online. It would be very easy to resin alot of the current vehicles to create some of the imperial vehicles used in the Legendary universe. The old Imperial Troop Transport makes for a good APC. The MA AT would make for good helicopter gunships/transports.

An Imperial supplement sure. I see that happening as it would be a good supplement for the AoR line. An Imperial Core Rulebook? No. Basically it would be the AoR CRB written from the Imperial standpoint. If the posts on the forum talking about how AoR was too repetitious in comparison to EotE weren't excessive, I can only imagine how they would be if they did an Imperial CRB. An Imperial supplement with some notes on running an Imperial campaign would be more than sufficiant.

I agree the main things you would need are Imperial duty and motivations. Some details about recruitment and training under the Empire would be nice though I don't really recall much about training under the Alliance in the core book so I'm not sure how much detail we would get about Imperial training. Add in some imperial base descriptions, some gear vehicles, and ships plus an adventure or two and you're ready to go. 

I agree the main things you would need are Imperial duty and motivations.

Why, what have we here?

In case anyone missed Ghostofman's reference to it, a wonderfully done "Imperial Duty" chart has been generated by the community for those interested in running Imperial campaigns.

I was meaning that in terms of why an Imperial sourcebook would cover the needs of someone wanting to run an Imperial campaign rather then needing a full Imperial Corebook not saying there were no Empire Duty tables to be found.

Edited by RogueCorona

Why, what have we here?

In case anyone missed Ghostofman's reference to it, a wonderfully done "Imperial Duty" chart has been generated by the community for those interested in running Imperial campaigns.

I was meaning that in terms of why an Imperial sourcebook would cover the needs of someone wanting to run an Imperial campaign rather then needing a full Imperial Corebook.

Fair enough, and I'm inclined to agree. Maybe we could see the Decimator statted out in said hypothetical book. While I did quote you, the post wasn't directed at you specifically so much as it was to help Jan Schattling (and anyone else interested in an Imperial campaign) with locating it.

I have a friend who, when i mentioned the Star Wars RPG originally before Force and Destiny Beta came out, didn't like the system most of all because it didn't let him play Sith.  There are some people who just prefer playing the villain.  Has anyone had that yet in a SW game, someone really wanting to play bad?  If so I am interested in how you handle it while having a party that may be predominately good.

As for someone wanting to play (non-force sensitive) Empire, I say just use the Age of Rebellion Careers and Specializations.  A Moff is merely a Diplomat for the badguys and a Tie Fighter a Pilot.  I don't think Duty would have to be changed that much for it to work.

Edited by zjbh7

There are some people who just prefer playing the villain.  Has anyone had that yet in a SW game, someone really wanting to play bad?  If so I am interested in how you handle it while having a party that may be predominately good.

Not usually. It generally doesn't play well. My groups tend to solve such issues by using the airlock if such individuals persist on traveling a path in opposition to the rest of the group.

So you just enjoy messing with threads like this and see people lose focus on facilitating other people's enjoyment of the game? Is that your goal.

He was doing it with his old account back before AoR came out, and even in EotE he was complaining about the lack of Jedi, much less overpowered Jedi.

P.S. I'm pretty certain that the OP is his sockpuppet whose post existed solely for him to cut in.

Edited by Chortles

I think there is most definitely an audience for Empire/Stormtroopers/Sith material for the FFG Star Wars RPGs.  It is an RPG after all, and one of the main joys of such is the ability to stretch your imagination, take on brand new roles, and push the story to all new places.  Some people might enjoy playing bad guys, or maybe even playing bad guys who figure out they are on the wrong side.  Anything is possible, it is why I (and I would say many others) prefer table top games to video games, you aren't limited in your choices and scope. 

That said, it is perfectly acceptable if you wish to only play heroes.  Nothing wrong with that at all.  To each their own.

I find it odd sometimes that the community is so venomous towards one another.  Why is one play style "wrong" over someone else's?  Why isn't there room for both?  Seems like there is plenty of hate out there in the world, I try to check mine when I am discussing my hobby with peers.

I find it odd sometimes that the community is so venomous towards one another.  Why is one play style "wrong" over someone else's?  Why isn't there room for both?  Seems like there is plenty of hate out there in the world, I try to check mine when I am discussing my hobby with peers.

There really is only one person against any Empire play. A majority of people on this forum open to both sides.

There really is only one person against any Empire play. A majority of people on this forum open to both sides.

Yeah, Sylpheed is the resident intolerant troll. He just comes here to start fights, usually dealing with his belief that the Empire is a real thing, and anyone not staunchly Rebel should be reported to the FBI, or that Jedi are the only thing of value in the series, and even then only if it's the Force Unleashed depiction...

I think it's dumb to make a game with fluff outdated before it came out and that you can't easily recommend to someone who watches the new Star Wars cartoon show and wants to replicate its feel in a TTRPG and that would be more fun if the PCs were on the opposite side without ever mentioning that, but hey. You got yours right?

I think FFG has created the exact game they wanted. And yet again you show your ignorance in tthe fact that this game can played as serious or as funny as you want. But I wouldn't expect any less from someone who doesn't play the game.

I think it's dumb to make a game with fluff outdated before it came out and that you can't easily recommend to someone who watches the new Star Wars cartoon show and wants to replicate its feel in a TTRPG and that would be more fun if the PCs were on the opposite side without ever mentioning that, but hey. You got yours right?

Ahm, ... so you want to delay publishing a game until ALL OTHER Star Wars materiel is published? Well, that might actually take a while. Like a LONG while. A long, long, long while. I think most people who bought any of the products like that FFG DID NOT wait and people finally got a good Star Wars RPG.

EotE let's you play the dodgy characters out of the Mos Eisley cantina of "A new Hope" and AoR let's you play the shining heroes of "The Empire strikes back" and "Return of the Jedi". Since these movies are the products that make up 95% of Star Wars to 95% of the people - with F&D pushing it to 98% for 99% of the people - I don't really get your point. This is fluff that will NEVER be outdated because it outranks other fluff no matter what Disney decides. If they go against this, then the fans will not recognize/accept the materiel as Star Wars.

If you are among the 1% and only care about the 2%, then I am truly sorry, but that is an unfortunate combination and businesses (like FFG) have to look for where their market is. You'll just have to wait if/when FFG publishes additional material that covers Rebels. Sorry.

My limited mental faculties prevent me from truly comprehending your last point on "Rebels" being more fun, but only if you can play the Empire. That reads slightly contradictory to me.

Edited by Spraug

EotE let's you play the dodgy characters out of the Mos Eisley cantina of "A new Hope" and AoR let's you play the shining heroes of "The Empire strikes back" and "Return of the Jedi". Since these movies are the products that make up 95% of Star Wars to 95% of the people - with F&D pushing it to 98% for 99% of the people - I don't really get your point. This is fluff that will NEVER be outdated because it outranks other fluff no matter what Disney decides. If they go against this, then the fans will not recognize/accept the materiel as Star Wars.

I think he's referring to FFG's liberal use of Legends material - specifically Legends material that is already known to be contradicted by canon material presented for Rebels (the description of Kessel, the Stormtrooper Corps being separate from the Imperial Army, possibly a few other bits).

I'd recommend reversing the effect of the "Incite Rebellion" talent on the Agitator tree to something along the lines of "Inspire Loyalty", which in my experience makes the Agitator a good COMPNOR observer or "commissar".  Also, if you're playing truly evil Imperials, rather than just "cogs in the machine", you may want to reverse the effects of Destiny Points for thematic purposes.

That's a cool idea, actually.  Even in the Rebellion era, however, there were lots of planets not aligned with the Empire, and I can see an Imperial Agitator formenting revolution against the Alliance.  Makes a perfect Destab agent (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Destabilization).

Why, what have we here?

I was meaning that in terms of why an Imperial sourcebook would cover the needs of someone wanting to run an Imperial campaign rather then needing a full Imperial Corebook.

Fair enough, and I'm inclined to agree. Maybe we could see the Decimator statted out in said hypothetical book. While I did quote you, the post wasn't directed at you specifically so much as it was to help Jan Schattling (and anyone else interested in an Imperial campaign) with locating it.

Yeah the Decimator, the Strike class Cruiser, The Pursuit class Light Cruiser, the Class II Frigate (Which I hope they rename, the Tector class Star Destroyer, and the various TIE or other Imperial used fighter models we haven't seen yet and the non-Walker Imperial ground vehicles would be great.

I think he's referring to FFG's liberal use of Legends material - specifically Legends material that is already known to be contradicted by canon material presented for Rebels (the description of Kessel, the Stormtrooper Corps being separate from the Imperial Army, possibly a few other bits).

Are you saying that it's canon that the Stormtrooper Corps is separate from the Imperial Army, or the opposite?  I ask because I can't say I know what the canon is in that case, but I thought the Corps was separate. 

Are you saying that it's canon that the Stormtrooper Corps is separate from the Imperial Army, or the opposite?  I ask because I can't say I know what the canon is in that case, but I thought the Corps was separate. 

After Disney axed the EU, they declared that the Stormtrooper Corps is a part of the Imperial Army, rather than a separate and distinct entity, as it has existed in Star Wars lore for decades.

Technically, it is now "canon" that the Stormtrooper Corps is part of the Imperial Army, not unlike the situation in the Legacy Era. Most people, including the authors at FFG ignore this and continue to treat the Stormtrooper Corps as a separate and distinct entity.

Sylph, mate, I'm Pro Rebel, Pro Jedi, Pro "Good Guys", Pro Canon, Pro Human-Right, Pro Ecology, Pro Maelora (XD) and Anti-Fascist, Anti-Totalitarian, Anti-Racist but this doesn't mean that I have to offend other people here.

Respect and tolerance are the basic keys for a peaceful convivency in communities like this. Maybe I don't 100% agree with some comments in FFG forums, and even sometimes I believe the opposite, but this doesn't mean that I have to hate, ridiculize or insult other people.

Remember that behind your PC screen there is people that can be hurt with your words.

Respect and be nice, please. This would be better for everyone including yourself :D

Backing to post, not a Core Book, but a supplement can be ok, why not.

Edited by Josep Maria