Sign in to follow this  
Jan Schattling

Playing the good guys!

40k is niche. Star Wars is not. 40k is a game. Star Wars is a brand label.

What's your point? 

The 'niche' game is now on six corebooks, one of which is a second edition, the two before that being produced due to the success of the others.

Star Wars probably sells even more than that, which should tell us that if they follow the same routine (which they have thus far with the 'Three Corebooks') they're likely to get to an Imperial corebook, especially when the demand is there. I highly, highly, doubt that FFG is going to just do F&D and then call it a day, releasing nothing but supplements, not when they have such a cash cow on their hands. It just makes sense.

Oh, and 40k is a hell of a lot less niche than most sci-fi IP.

I made my point in my post.

I doubt it lines up with Disneys long term corporate strategy to become That Company That Sells Nazi Memorabilia, even to make a quick buck and even if Walt himself would have been in to it.

But for the game, you know that thing where the GM is quite clearly more interested in what his pet NPCs are doing than the party, and all the players get the distinct impression they are just there to follow around Elminster and watch him be awesome?

Don't have the Empire be the GMs pet NPC and the players are just there to watch the GM furiously masterbate over a Star Destroyer.

I doubt it lines up with Disneys long term corporate strategy to become That Company That Sells Nazi Memorabilia, even to make a quick buck and even if Walt himself would have been in to it.

But for the game, you know that thing where the GM is quite clearly more interested in what his pet NPCs are doing than the party, and all the players get the distinct impression they are just there to follow around Elminster and watch him be awesome?

Don't have the Empire be the GMs pet NPC and the players are just there to watch the GM furiously masterbate over a Star Destroyer.

red-dwarf_2167_17.jpg?cache=1205988554

I literally have no idea what you are trying to get across here...

I've played in a lot of games where the GM is clearly more interested in what his NPCs are doing than what the players, his actual friends who are actual people who have taken time to get together to hang out are doing.

The GM, and especially the FFG people who are writing the books, needs to stay focused on what the Empires is for in a Rebel game - to make the PCs look good.

Edited by Sylpheed

I've played in a lot of games where the GM is clearly more interested in what his NPCs are doing than what the players, his actual friends who are actual people who have taken time to get together to hang out are doing.

The GM, and especially the FFG people who are writing the books, needs to stay focused on what the Empires is for in a Rebel game - to make the PCs look good.

We all have stories of GMs with pet NPCs or GMPCs, which is why I dislike the latter for the most part. Nothing new there. Although the fact that you"ve actually played is interesting. Why not now? Do you have difficulty finding a game due to your predilections?

Edited by mouthymerc

While i agree to that we will not see a CRB for Imperials we will see oen dealing in greater detail with the Empire and how it would be possible to play them. Yes, Disney will have to agree to do this. And i think they will. Why? Have you seen the people one of the Stwar Wars Weekends at a Disney World? The sheer number of 501st's and others running around in full Stormtrooper attire or as another member of the Empire? They know that the Empire has a lot of fans, maybe even more than the Rebels. That's a lot of potential customers we are talking about, and cash is the Mouse' biggest interest.

No. At best an Empire supplement with some sidebars on running an Imperial game, but nothing dedicated to it. People who think the Empire or Sith costumes are cool does not make an audience. At the end of the day, FFG are producing a game where the players play heroes (or dark heroes at worst) and the Empire are usually the big baddy.

Star Wars probably sells even more than that, which should tell us that if they follow the same routine (which they have thus far with the 'Three Corebooks') they're likely to get to an Imperial corebook, especially when the demand is there. I highly, highly, doubt that FFG is going to just do F&D and then call it a day, releasing nothing but supplements, not when they have such a cash cow on their hands. It just makes sense.

Because FFG is not the sole decision maker when it comes to this Star Wars game. Everything must be run by Disney/Lucas. And while Disney/Lucas doesn't care if you take the game and play an Imperial game, they want to promote the Empire as bad guys so they will not release an Imperial game. I can see an Imperial supplement for the AoR line, just as I can see a Rebel supplement, but not an entire Core Rule book.

Err, why wouldn't they? They sell Darth Vader costumes to kids, they have friendly Stormtroopers at Disney World, they're not pulling Imperial Officer toys off the shelves just because they had something in common with Wehrmacht uniforms either. That stuff is very much in the front and centre of the public eye and Lil Timmy and his parrents. They're still probably going to keep pushing that stuff as well.

I think you overestimate just how much Disney care about a very niche product like a roleplaying game being controversial just because a few people drew comparisons to a certain political party. I'd also expect they're not going to stop putting Dark Side endings in their video games either.

Edited by Arbitrator

How do you write up that book?  Think about it.  When you write up a splatbook you are presenting it as something people should want to aspire to be.  Inanimate toy objects are one thing.  A book full of fluff that says "Exciting new Imperial supplement!  Join the Empire! Enslave species! Commit Genocide! Oppress people's rights! Hurry and get you copy of the new sourcebook chock full of campaign ideas for the systematic spread of evil in the galaxy!"

It doesn't work.  The most you will see is stats for vehicles and adversaries.

I think you overestimate just how much Disney care about a very niche product like a roleplaying game being controversial just because a few people drew comparisons to a certain political party. I'd also expect they're not going to stop putting Dark Side endings in their video games either.

I think you over-estimate the need for something like this. This is already a niche. An Empire game would be a niche in that niche. Most people want to play the heroes. There are one on one games like the miniature and card games, which are niches themselves, to whet Empire appetites. An entire Empire CRB would be a waste of resources, especially with the likelihood of an Empire supplement.

If there is a sourcebook on the enemy side of the equation I would fully expect it's going to involve whatever gets introduced in the new movies. I really think they're going to be looking forward with the productline after they're done pushing the final force and destiny stuff out the door.

How do you write up that book? Think about it. When you write up a splatbook you are presenting it as something people should want to aspire to be. Inanimate toy objects are one thing. A book full of fluff that says "Exciting new Imperial supplement! Join the Empire! Enslave species! Commit Genocide! Oppress people's rights! Hurry and get you copy of the new sourcebook chock full of campaign ideas for the systematic spread of evil in the galaxy!"

It doesn't work. The most you will see is stats for vehicles and adversaries.

TIE Fighter is still rated in the top 100 PC games though, and WotC released several dark side supps. And I don't need to tell you what F&D thinks about the topic.

So there's room to maneuver, it probably won't be a Imperial specific book, but a "not good guys" book is possible.

Fan works like that make me truly sad that we'll probably never see a traditionally animated Star Wars TV show of that quality. It's unfortunate that the decision-makers in U.S. media still assume that (Western) cartoons have to either be "Just for Kids" or Family Guy.

The guy does good work too - the Doctor Who anime that he did was pretty kick ass:

How do you write up that book?  Think about it.  When you write up a splatbook you are presenting it as something people should want to aspire to be.  Inanimate toy objects are one thing.  A book full of fluff that says "Exciting new Imperial supplement!  Join the Empire! Enslave species! Commit Genocide! Oppress people's rights! Hurry and get you copy of the new sourcebook chock full of campaign ideas for the systematic spread of evil in the galaxy!"

It doesn't work.  The most you will see is stats for vehicles and adversaries.

The most I'd expect - if anything at all - is a sidebar or at most a section of a chapter somewhere that discussed an Imperial campaign.  It doesn't need or warrant extra mechanical support.

I think Disney would be ok with a book like this.

I just started playing SWTOR and the dark side is much better (for me) than the light side.

If you can play the Imps in a computer game, you should be able to play them in your RPG.

I can see that probably a sourcebook would be enough (like I think the jedis don't need one).

My adventures would be all around infiltrating the rebells and trying to make the Huts work for you.

More low and personal jobs than killing tons of people.

Of course I can play the EotE thing for the dark side (and if I would ever play the characters would definately be total different from the base adventures), and I really like some of your ideas for that but I would really like to get some real book to work with.

I can't think that there would be no interest in such a supplement.

Jan

P.S.: I don't think that the Empire is like the Nazis, even though they also dress in style, they do a totally different kind of evil.

Rebel terrorists attack Imperial Food Distribution Warehouses on Corellia!  Want to know more?

Are you fed up with getting sand kicked in your eyes by Separatist bullies?  Join the Imperial Navy!  Become a Stormtrooper and have a squad at your back!  Enlist now!

Small town terrorized by Wookies!  Residents urged to call Animal Control if they are seen and are encouraged to not leave out food or unsecured trash receptacles to tempt these dangerous animals.  Is your neighborhood at risk?

The Imperial Navy needs Ace Pilots!  Join the Imperial Naval Service and become an Elite TIE Pilot!  The envy of all your friends!  Take the Pilot Exam now!

Edited by evileeyore

Rebel terrorists attack Imperial Food Distribution Warehouses on Corellia!  Want to know more?

Are you fed up with getting sand kicked in your eyes by Separatist bullies?  Join the Imperial Navy!  Become a Stormtrooper and have a squad at your back!  Enlist now!

Small town terrorized by Wookies!  Residents urged to call Animal Control if they are seen and are encouraged to not leave out food or unsecured trash receptacles to tempt these dangerous animals.  Is your neighborhood at risk?

The Imperial Navy needs Ace Pilots!  Join the Imperial Naval Service and become an Elite TIE Pilot!  The envy of all your friends!  Take the Pilot Exam now!

Stormtroopers aren't navy. They aren't even Imperial Army really according to most sources they are closer to the US Marines in that they have their own support structure separate from the Army or Navy though they often work with the other branches of the Imperial military.

In Legends, the Stormtrooper Corps was separate from the Army and Navy. However, it didn't have it's own support - it relied on the Army and Navy for all support roles. This is the take on stormtroopers that the FFG lines follow.

Canon stormtroopers are the infantry of the Imperial Army.

1000w.jpg

Stormtroopers aren't navy. They aren't even Imperial Army really according to most sources they are closer to the US Marines in that they have their own support structure separate from the Army or Navy though they often work with the other branches of the Imperial military.

YwgbT16.gif

The USMC doesn't have its own support structure.  It relies on the USN for medics.  It relies on the USN to get them anywhere.  It has no significant amount of armor, artillery, or transportation infrastructure, all of which is relies on the US Army to provide in any campaign inland and/or in excess of 30 days.

Stormtroopers are the Waffen SS.

In Legends, the Stormtrooper Corps was separate from the Army and Navy. However, it didn't have it's own support - it relied on the Army and Navy for all support roles. This is the take on stormtroopers that the FFG lines follow.

Canon stormtroopers are the infantry of the Imperial Army.

Well in Legends they actually have their own transports, The Delta D-X9s. and the Stormcommandos have their own specially designed fighter class, which was included in Assault on Arda I so the Storm commandos have their own air support at least.