Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
r_b_bergstrom

It's Official: 3rd Ed is done

78 posts in this topic

We all saw it coming from a long way off (it's been how long since they released anything new?), ... but it still makes me kinda sad.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4983

Our adventure in the Old World has come to a close with the release of this final FAQ update. As you can see, the changes between this and the penultimate version are modest (a few new errata for Hero's Call) and we don't foresee a need to update the document any further. We won't be releasing any new products for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3rd Edition.

Edited by r_b_bergstrom
Emirikol likes this

It's about godsdamn time they got around to making it official. I'm actually happy with this annoucement, sort of a relief honestly.

Here's seconding the hope for a new edition from either Fantasy Flight or some other company in the near future.

Emirikol likes this

Sad to see it officially end, but I'm very glad that they actually announced it. It's interesting that they announced this right before GenCon. Any chance of 4e being announced later this week?

Hey, FFG: BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

There should always be role-playing in the Old World!

The Heldenhammer!

For Karl-Franz!

For Sigmar!

JA_42 likes this

So – to those in the knowing how this works: will I have to get my missing stuff from 3rd Ed. real fast now, since it won't get any reprints, or will they reprint for some time?

Also: hate marketing-approach to it – making it sound and look as if this is a complete product now.  :angry:

Ok, I'm not comming here but when I saw this I must say it - thank You FFG for making it official. I'm the one who was gothering rumours about 4e for quite some time now and the official dead of 3e  is a honest a little bit sad but oalso full of hope announcement. Especialy when at the end of the article designers say:

"While this foray into the Old World in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay has concluded, we are huge fans of the Warhammer Fantasy world and would not be surprised if we found ourselves someday crafting new adventures in it. "

So FFG is not letting the licence go and still will create new games in Warhammer Fantasy - thank You FFG one more time!

Interesting thing is that they announce it right before GenCon. Could theis mean that at GenCon will bring us a new game set in the Old World? I sure hope so and will keep my fingers crossed fro that!

cheers

Beren

PS. One more thing - quite some time ago FFG hired new designers and they neede to know Warhammer Fantasy and W 40k settings. So they are working on something. Right before GenCon such thing are making me excited - please FFG new games in Old World announce at GenCon - mek it happen!!!

I have completed my collection, i will have fun for years with it. I create my own adventures for it anyway. I think its a great product, and i assume it will come to late greatness (high prices on the 2nd hand market), when a lot of persons discover that they would like to use the system to tell fantasy stories. The dice system is absolutely fabulous, and a lot of tweaks which are present here like the stances, corruption, advanced classes,  group stress track, epic play tier isnt available in the Starwars product line. 

Also the available campaigns (The gathering storm, enemy within) provide versatile sandboxes for us to play with, also the production quality of all the material is top notch.

Thank you for producing one of my favourite RPG's.

Edited by sangeet
GMmL, k7e9 and Johann Rowlocks like this

So – to those in the knowing how this works: will I have to get my missing stuff from 3rd Ed. real fast now, since it won't get any reprints, or will they reprint for some time?

Also: hate marketing-approach to it – making it sound and look as if this is a complete product now.  :angry:

I know how you feel, its how i felt when they stopped making expansions for warhammer Invasion before we even got Tomb kings and ogre kingdoms. Is warhammer just not hot any more unles it has 40.000 attached to it?

Doc9 likes this

That sucks. I hope they do come out with a 4th ed soon(ish - I still have a lot of 3 ed to run).

Hopefully I'll be able to nab that last few bits I need to complete the set before they go oop.

This just confirms what my group have suspected for over two and a half years.

Unfortunately Warhammer Fantasy I believe only makes about a quarter of what GW makes out of 40K, so it will be interesting to see whether GW tries to arrest the Fantasy decline with new wargames rules and perhaps even a jump in the timeline or just watchs it whither on the vine.

FFG have got Star Wars to worry about at the moment, at least until the end of next year at the earliest, as well as dealing with all the new products for the 2nd edition of Dark Heresy. Consequently until GW have sorted out what they want to do with the Old World, and FFG have finished their run of science fiction games, we will lucky to see a 4th edition before 2016 at the earliest IMHO.

It might be that FFG may not want to do a 4th edition, particularly if GW do nothing to revive the fantasy brand, and so our only hope will be if another company picks up the torch. Again that will be unlikely if GW are not interested in doing anything with the Old World. It all comes down to what Games Workshop see themselves doing with Warhammer Fantasy.

GMmL and d6 Evil Men like this

I know how you feel, its how i felt when they stopped making expansions for warhammer Invasion before we even got Tomb kings and ogre kingdoms. Is warhammer just not hot any more unles it has 40.000 attached to it?

I'm mostly of the opinion that Warhammer Fantasy is a very small, niche demographic. You can see FFG testing the interest waters with board and card games. Invasion appeared to nosedive, but Chaos in the Old World and Diskwars seem to have a little steam behind them in certain circles. GW doesn't really help themselves in any regard as far as spearheading their Fantasy line.

As far as roleplaying goes I think between the 3 editions of official material and the great stuff put out by the community an enthusiastic, creative GM can put together years upon years of gameplay. We may or may not see A New Shiny in the future but frankly I question whether we need it or not. And if we do need it, I'd much rather see it in the hands of someone willing to produce and release a complete collection. I'm sort of done handing these bigger companies $500-$1000 chunks for products that can't seem to make it to the finish line. Let's hope FFG can actually get the Star Wars line out as intended.

On another note, thanks to FFG for putting this thing out in the first place. Thank you for daring to try something different in a hobby that is perpetually gridlocked in tradition. This is not only the most unique and fantastic rpg system I have ever purchased but over the years it has become the most requested title in all of my groups. Still to this day I have more players waiting to play this thing than I physically have the time to run games for. That's a great problem to have.

Cheers.

Fantasy Flight's Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3rd Edition may be gone, but ZWEIHÄNDER Grim & Perilous RPG (the world's only Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay retroclone) is still here and going strong.

Want to know more about ZWEIHÄNDER? Come play the public beta now: http://grimandperilous.com/

Alternatively, come visit Strike to Stun, where all versions of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay are being discussed: http://forum.strike-to-stun.net/index.php

GMmL and Emirikol like this

Ah well, at least they got all the major components out, so there is a base to stand on and carry on from.  

Remains for those who want to carry on to then do so, creating their own versions of the world's regions and peoples, other magics, added adventures, and sharing them.

I hope we see scenario design contests, Strange Eons updates, Liber Fanatica, active posters, blog writers all continue to create content and support each other in this system, so that someday an ardent fan based of 3rd edition will still exist just as there are the fans of 1st and 2nd.  The fans of all editions of WFRP can support each other by publishing maps and materials that cross editions (2nd/3rd are easiest to bridge).

As I have have said many times, I like the system and almost all of its engine and bits while seeing room for improvement in several.

I hope the official announcement of no new official content liberates those who were holding off "well, I won't invest time in creating this because it will be moot when official version comes", so that they can now freely offer their versions of materials that might have been a POD etc.

I'll join Strike to Stun too!
I'd love the same community here to carry over.

It is a sad day... though I've ordered all the missing Pod's and my partner has ordered a bunch of the expansions I was missing. If the orders come through all I'd need will be the Player's Guide (For completions sake!).

On an aside: there are massive rumours that WFB will be undergoing a major transition this year. Nagash is due to return at the end of August - and rumourmill says he is bringing the "end times" with him. As in - not 1 minute to midnight. But actual midnight.
There's a massive 42 page thread about it over on the Warseer forums.

Hopefully they will bring more shinies with 4th (That we can port 3rd over to: I like the cards!) And if not, there's a *lot* of fan made stuff out there.

GMmL and Emirikol like this

I gave myself some time to comment on this, but I don't think I can say this kindly: ..only chumps hold a license hostage for 2-3 years not actually producing anything new, and brag about all the stuff that they put out years ago with a giant picture of old products.  I'm grateful for the production that existed, the few at FFG that may have cared, and the "finally" FAQ/Errata/List release, but they should have put this to bed years ago instead of sitting in the license like Nurgle on his piles..and if the the license is held hostage even longer..well, we all have our own slang words for that.

Not to alarm anyone, but typically when a license is up, the forums are removed and a company may no longer release support materials (for an example:  look at Mongoose and the CONAN line).  You will be able to access old posts through the Internet Wayback Machine.  It doesn't store old FILES or PICTURES however.  You will also lose your ability to get print on demand (POD) releases once the license has been relinquished.

There are the Google+ forums, Prediger forums, and Strike to Stun if you want some purity.

[shaking my head shamefully]  25 years of production, and FFG not only kills it off, but then sits on the license and has the audacity to brag about it ...    

throwing-up.gif

jh

Edited by Emirikol
ElCommi and GMmL like this

It's not certain the forums close, we'll have to see.  But yes, if they do move to strike-to-stun.

Oh and to the chance of future adventures referenced above, I take that as more the designers personally saying they will continue to write and play adventures in this system not that FFG will as FFG is saying "no official content".

What we can hope is that the designers and writers' "personal work" makes it's way into the public's hands the way certain personal work of those involved in past editions has done.

Also it does sadden me a bit when I see great adventure outlines published at various cons that are run but the adventures themselves never written up and published.

I do plan to eventually make sure everything I have done - Steward of Grauwerk, Favour for Fostenklauster, Averheim Electoral Crisis Sourcebook, the Southands work I continue on etc. are avaliable on scribd and am happy to have others post wherever they like.

Edited by valvorik
Angelic Despot likes this

Jay,

Unfortunately the license, I suspect, is for both the Fantasy and the 40K products. Unfortunately the 40K have sold well but the Fantasy have not been such a success. That pretty much mirrors what is happening at GW. Until GW revamps the Fantasy product, there is no incentive for FFG to do anything. They are also hostage to GW's IP department as well.

Edited by ragnar63
cronevald likes this

About four months ago I ordered few supplements (Winds, Signs, Lure, Call, Omens). The wholesale is "unable to complete my order". I'm still waiting, but I guess I will never have them. I know, there is amazon, ebay etc. Shipping cost, customs duty, and euro/pound currency are almost doubling the price. For me, it's not an option.

Seems like my adventure with 3 edition will end before it even really started :(

Well, not surprise, but still - one more edition goes to history.

Sad thing is, that there will be, again, number of "Dark Years" before someone gets the license and starts actually building something new. And then we start from the beginning, again. Who knows with what rules and wait for the new fluff...

But, I've seen this before and Strike to Stun forum is still up and running. And it serves all the editions and much more. So, everyone, please join other WFRP-fans there.