Sign in to follow this  
jivjov

Far Horizons in hand, what do you want to know?

Amazon is often a poor choice for getting FFG products at the time of release.

As an Evil company Amazon is a poor choice for anything.

But that's just my lazy activist opinion.

My stepson just took a job with their local fulfillment center. He's drank the Kool Aid, but at least he doesn't wear the armband around the house.

Barnes and Noble has the release listed as later this month too; however, the books are available on FFG's website now. I wonder if they have some kind of special arrangement to give the gaming stores first crack at it. I don't have a convenient gaming store nearby so it looks like I'll be playing the premium shipping to get it straight from FFG.

Barnes and Noble has the release listed as later this month too; however, the books are available on FFG's website now. I wonder if they have some kind of special arrangement to give the gaming stores first crack at it. I don't have a convenient gaming store nearby so it looks like I'll be playing the premium shipping to get it straight from FFG.

It's more likely a matter of focus. Specialty shops will generally have better coverage of specialty items than general "we only want to carry what will sell to the most people" stores. Which means a greater selection and a faster response time to new specialty items. And gaming is very much 'specialty.'

I ran a convention adventure some time ago using d20 Star Wars and the group were a cantina band. With the release of this book with the "Entertainer" being a part of the details (or so I thought), I was hoping that this would be included as I was hoping to convert it to Edge of the Empire. Oh well, I'll just go back to hoping :(

Edited by MoonSwingChronicles

Couple new land vehicles including more landspeeders, industrial droid platforms, an AT-RCT (Riot Control Transport). There is of course another couple Corellian ships, the YT-1200 and the YT-1760. Also appearing is our good friend from X-Wing, the HWK-290. Also 2 new capital ships.

What are the new capships, and what are their Silhouettes?

Armos Modular Transport (6)

Indulgent-Class Luxury Starliner (7)

Who are the manufacturers for these two ships?

Are there any special rules for using a "Performance" skill?

What kind of special rules are you looking for? What is the result you want from a performance?

Edited by mouthymerc

Performances would often be Charm, but Coercion and Leadership are possible too. Deception might be possible as well (Palpatine's speech about the Jedi-directed assassination attempt).

I'd say the specific skill rather depends on the Performance type...

Athletics for Dancing, Acrobatics, etc

Melee for Martial Arts exhibits.

Ranged Light for trick shooting.

Deception could certainly cover acting, but Skullduggery covers Make-Up and Costuming.

I guess its the same as Charm as a skill, but more specific. I was just hoping for them to have additional rules for using Performance as a skill and perhaps some background material on different instruments.

Still don't understand what kind of result you're looking for. To make money? Impress someone? As has been already stated, the skill can vary for the type of performance, but also for what type of action you are trying to convey. There is a section Making Social Encounters Interesting (page 72) which be helpful.

Fluff or an attribute check. Craft/perform/profession were Terrible Game Design By Awful People- they cost the same resources to acquire as adventuring skills (e.g. Spot, Heal, Knowledge (Arcana)) whilst having hugely lower utility, thus making any character with background skills straight up worse than a flavourless murderhobo.

Just pick a relevant attribute and maybe an appropriate skill (which need not be for its traditional stat). Perhaps a singer uses Presence & Resilience, or a violinist uses Agility & Discipline.

What I'm looking for is how a character can be trained in the use of an instrument (i.e. craft/perform/profession from d20).

Or would this be better handled as background fluff for the character where no skill is actually necessary.

Thought it might be something like this. Yes just treat it as background fluff and use whatever skill, talent or attribute seems appropriate to accomplish the effect wanted.

I would allow custom skills like playing an instrument and likewise to be bought, but at a nice xp discount if you would like to actually have the skills instead of just using attributes.

This way it should limit weakening a character compared to others and generally.

Are there any special rules for using a "Performance" skill?

I would think you just apply existing skills in a particular way depending on what you are looking to accomplish with the 'performance', Charm, Deception, etc.

Or just create a custom skill. Problem solved.

I'd steer clear of that unless you expect the custom skill to see as much use as the other skills a character could spend their XP on.

So would I. But if a character absolutely want a specific skill for playing his Kloo horn or whatever and isn't satisfied with using an already existing skill (which seems to be the case with MoonSwingChronicles' player) then it's better to just make a custom skill and leave it up to the player whether to spend XP on it or not.

Edited by Krieger22