Sign in to follow this  
Danthrax

Decimator preview article is up

commander-kenkirk.png

That pilot ability is extremely interesting.... and everyone is now wondering, exactly how durable will he be?

MathWing to the rescue!  :D

So lets just assume that this ability kicks in after you take 2 damage. So the first 4 shields and 2 hull is behind 0 agility, and the remaining 10 hull is behind 1 agility. How durable is that?

I'm getting numbers of 2.53 - 2.84 relative to a TIE Fighter, with a "normal" value of 2.75. That, my friends, is the most durable ship in the game. Here are some comparison numbers with the other large base ships:

VT-49 (Kenkirk): 2.75

YT-2400: 2.60

Firespray: 2.57

YT-1300 (named): 2.49

VT-49: 2.34

Lambda Shuttle: 1.94

YT-1300 (ORS): 1.92

It's on par with the named YT-1300 for the best jousting value in the game for any ship with a 360 degree turret:

Named YT-1300 (42@ PS5 = 37 @ PS1): 70.0%

Kenkirk (44@ PS6 = 38 @ PS1 + 1 for EPT = 39 @ PS1)*: 69.9%

YT-2400 (32@PS3 = 29@ PS1): 68.1%

VT-49 (40(?)@ PS3 = 38 @ PS1): 66.0%

Outer Rim Smuggler (27 @PS1): 62.4%

* His pilot ability costs 1, and its affect is fully considered in the ship durability, so his PS1 equivalent cost is essentially 1 higher than the generic, or other any other VT-49 before considering their pilot ability.

And, oh, look, it's the Imperial equivalent of C-3P0! One free evade every round after you have taken at least 5 damage!

ysanne-isard.png

But wait, it can get better! If you don't mind eating up your EPT and flying alone, you can also slap on this from the YT-2400 pack:

lone-wolf.png

... so now your 1 agility has a 60% chance of rolling an evade.

Edit: Although Determination is still probably a better EPT for him. That's a tough call.

I haven't even MathWing'ed the last two yet. Nor would it be easy to. But Kenkirk at least is looking like the Imperial Chewie of large ships. I bet he will be a consistent performer in the competitive meta.

Edited by MajorJuggler

I love that dial.  I love that no 1's are green, I love that it goes up to 4 straight.  That's really cool.  It's going somewhere, and fast, and you're not stopping it.  It's not light on it's feet, but it's not lumbering, and it has enough options to make some unexpected moves.  

and not a single solitary drop of red ink on it

I love that dial.  I love that no 1's are green, I love that it goes up to 4 straight.  That's really cool.  It's going somewhere, and fast, and you're not stopping it.  It's not light on it's feet, but it's not lumbering, and it has enough options to make some unexpected moves.

And also no K-turn, although I'm not sure that really hurts it much.

How often do you see a YT-1300 K-turn? Just like the shuttle, the ship is too large to pull off a K-turn manueuver anyhow. 

Turret ship so does not harm it offensively at all, will have no problem with outmanouver as you have no agility anyway.

Ruthlessness says you can damage one OTHER ship besides the one you're attacking.  The article then says "If Captain Oicunn can’t use it to finish off the fighter at which he’s firing, then he should be able to use it to deal a second point of damage to the ship with which he’s collided"

Isn't this contradictory?  What is the purpose of the word 'other' if you can use ruthlessness on the same ship as the one you're attacking?

Possibly limited run of Wave 5 for sale? Who knows. Maybe. But it'd surprise me as it's still listed as "At the Printer" but they could easily get a few cases shipped over for some sales hype.

But yeah, I oddly agree with WonderWAAAGH (which in and of itself scares me) that they may just be clearing the field of "known" releases to really drop something big on us.

I don't really "disagree". I'm just thinking the chance has gone up from 1% to something like 20%.

rear-admiral-chiraneau.png

with Fleet Officer (3)

And Veteran Instincts (1)

commander-kenkirk.png

With Ysanne (4)

Tactical Jammer (1)

Determination (1)

Fly Captain Kirk between the admiral for a free evade, and if they shoot kirk then he gets super tanky real quickly. The Admiral can provide focus for the both of them allowing kirk to focus for flex or go all out attack with Target Lock.

32 HP isn't going to shift quickly and those turrets will see your opponents frustrated at every turn. 

Does anyone else think this ship is a little too maneuverable for such a massive tank

It will be really fun to play with in epic games and casual though!

Edited by CTALS4

Ruthlessness says you can damage one OTHER ship besides the one you're attacking.  The article then says "If Captain Oicunn can’t use it to finish off the fighter at which he’s firing, then he should be able to use it to deal a second point of damage to the ship with which he’s collided"

Isn't this contradictory?  What is the purpose of the word 'other' if you can use ruthlessness on the same ship as the one you're attacking?

The sentence should read Since Captain Oicunn, not If.  Not exactly contradictory, just poor word choice for all the literalist and rules lawyers who seem to infest the gaming world.  The statement is basically correct as written, you can damage one of the other ships you just Ram-damaged, but not the one you shot at.

Now, will you be able to damage all the ships you end up over-lapping if you land on the far ship in a group?  You have to move your ship back along the template until you place the base down "touching" just ships you "overlap".

Ruthlessness says you can damage one OTHER ship besides the one you're attacking. The article then says "If Captain Oicunn can’t use it to finish off the fighter at which he’s firing, then he should be able to use it to deal a second point of damage to the ship with which he’s collided"

Isn't this contradictory? What is the purpose of the word 'other' if you can use ruthlessness on the same ship as the one you're attacking?

In context, it means Oicunn crashes into ship A, shoots B, and might be able to use the Relentless damage to finish off ship A.

Edit: ninja'd. But the fact remains that Oicunn's ability is still too vague for my taste.

Edited by JBouthietteJr

Ah OK, that makes sense thanks

The sentence should read Since Captain Oicunn, not If.  Not exactly contradictory, just poor word choice for all the literalist and rules lawyers who seem to infest the gaming world.  The statement is basically correct as written, you can damage one of the other ships you just Ram-damaged, but not the one you shot at.

Now, will you be able to damage all the ships you end up over-lapping if you land on the far ship in a group?  You have to move your ship back along the template until you place the base down "touching" just ships you "overlap".

Yeah, these previews speak to them both building up interest in Wave 5, while also getting the official spoilers out there before it's all spoiled after someone buys them. A month and half before release means they easily could've flown some in.

EDIT: I had this figured out yesterday before we got all the cool stuff... can't figure out how I did it today!

Big O(Captain Oicunn) now an kill a phantom with auto damage in 2 ways!  Maybe more!

Step A- ram phantom.  1 damage...

Step B- Activate Daredevil to ram phantom again.  2 damage

Step C- Dauntless for boosting off of phantom.

Step D- Shoot at Phantom with 4 attack dice.  Hit + Vader = dead phantom

Step D2, if required: Activate gunner if miss.  Activate Vader = dead phantom

Add Experimental interface and after Step C you can drop a seismic!

Add Ruthlessness somehow and you don't even have to shoot the phantom, you can shoot it's friends and ruthlessness it instead...

Now those are all far from guaranteed but this is the type of shenanigans that you can pull off... I might have some of the ordering off but I'm pretty sure it can be done. BUT IT AINT CHEAP

Figured it out!

Step A- ram phantom.  1 damage...

Step B- Dauntless and Activate Daredevil to ram phantom again.  2 damage

Step C- Phantom moves after PS 4

Step D- Shoot at Phantom with 4 attack dice.  Hit + Vader = dead phantom

Step D2, if required: Activate gunner if miss.  Activate Vader = dead phantom

Edited by Rakky Wistol