Sign in to follow this  
Jekzer

Trouble in Tharbad spoilers at cgdb!

Consistent attacking in the staging area! Haldir fits all the niches I could have ever wanted.Silvan AND Ranger! Boosts Rumil... Perfect for a secrecy deck... Still valuable even if guys are coming out to attack a partner thanks to his ability to attack before the enemies attack!... Might be my new favorite hero.

I know... I said it.

Right now I've been using Legolas, Mirlonde and Celeborn. I'd switch Mirlonde for Haldir but I'd want a reliable way for him to quest and attack, I feel like otherwise I'm better off with the Haldir ally. What do you guys think?

Right now I've been using Legolas, Mirlonde and Celeborn. I'd switch Mirlonde for Haldir but I'd want a reliable way for him to quest and attack, I feel like otherwise I'm better off with the Haldir ally. What do you guys think?

Wingfoot + Rumor from the Earth. You don't even need many copies of Rumor, a single one granted you have card draw should do the trick. Of course you pay the resource to keep the card. I've used this proxing Wingfoot and it works great.

Edited by Gizlivadi

A few thoughts about the Haldir wording, which I initially thought was a bit odd (why didn't they just say something similar to Dunhere's ability?)

It's worded in a similar manner to Quick Strike, which means:

• You can attack an enemy engaged with another player using his ability, then declare a ranged attack against that enemy, and finally participate in a ranged attack against the same enemy (I think? - I'm a solo player so ranged rules are a bit fuzzy for me). Rivendell Blade in this case would become very powerful.
  • Enemies who are immune to player card effects can still be attacked, as opposed to cards like Hands Upon the Bow, or indeed Dunhere.
Edited by blinky

The new Gondor hero is a pretty nice addition and one I could see using Doom 2 to take advantage of. It is helpful when trying to quickly build up an army. Also, love Gwaihir. Wish he was a hero or at least a cost of 4. :/ I love running eagle decks but they are really pricey...even with mono-tactics. 

You mean ally, right?

Oops, yup. Changed it. Thanks!

In next pack I believe we get lore attachment Wingfoot, allows a ranger hero to quest and ready if you selected the right card to be revealed from the encounter deck, so basically if you always say enemy the hero will always ready after questing. Perfect fit for Haldir.

I have not quite digested the cards yet, there is a lot to chew on here, O Lorien is really important card for silvan decks, all those 3 cost silvan allies are will now be 2, that's pretty big. It will allow the ability to make a tri sphere silvan deck deck even more doable. Before I was using Grima for the doomed 1 discount, but this card is so much more thematically appropriate.

Haldir with Rivendell Blades will be awesome. He is perfect for a secrecy deck add some rangers with bows and the deck can be designed to rarely engage enemies, also 3 attack for lore is big.

Nice to see a ranger hero below 10 threat.

Wingfoot + Rumor from the Earth. You don't even need many copies of Rumor, a single one granted you have card draw should do the trick. Of course you pay the resource to keep the card. I've used this proxing Wingfoot and it works great.

Ah forgot about wingfoot coming out. I would think henmarth river song would be even better

In next pack I believe we get lore attachment Wingfoot, allows a ranger hero to quest and ready if you selected the right card to be revealed from the encounter deck, so basically if you always say enemy the hero will always ready after questing. Perfect fit for Haldir.

I have not quite digested the cards yet, there is a lot to chew on here, O Lorien is really important card for silvan decks, all those 3 cost silvan allies are will now be 2, that's pretty big. It will allow the ability to make a tri sphere silvan deck deck even more doable. Before I was using Grima for the doomed 1 discount, but this card is so much more thematically appropriate.

Haldir with Rivendell Blades will be awesome. He is perfect for a secrecy deck add some rangers with bows and the deck can be designed to rarely engage enemies, also 3 attack for lore is big.

Nice to see a ranger hero below 10 threat.

What other heroes does this Haldir secrecy deck use? is it mono-lore to use Advance Warning, or does it use Spirit or Tactics? I think he's great for mono-lore Rangers but I don't see him in secrecy to be honest.

Edited by Gizlivadi

Haldir's combat action is once per round, so if he does not have enough attack strength to finish off an enemy in the staging area and more enemies are revealed in subsequent rounds, eventually the staging area will fill and engaging enemies will become necessary, at that point Haldir will also loose his ability since it relies on not engaging an enemy to work. He will need to be able to generate enough attack strength to finish off enemies first attack to make it a reliable strategy for a non engagement deck. I'm talking strictly solo here.

Dunhere on the other hand can use any readying effects and continue to hammer away at enemies in the stating area while wielding 2 spears for 7 attack. So, A deck built around Haldir and non engagement is going to have to rely a lot more on the non- engagement cards like Ranger Spikes, and some of the other events that keep enemies in the staging area longer. It will give Haldir a bit more time to chip away at them. Direct damage to enemies in the staging area is also going to help him out a lot too, Ranger Bow, expecting mischief etc.

What other heroes does this Haldir secrecy deck use? is it mono-lore to use Advance Warning, or does it use Spirit or Tactics? I think he's great for mono-lore Rangers but I don't see him in secrecy to be honest.

If you have not given up on using Spirit Glorfindel, he is an obvious choice, paired with Merry your at 20 threat. So, there you have it. Elrond's Counsel and Galadhrim's Greeting and your good to go. Although if you read my post before this, I think this type of deck might struggle a bit more than the Dunhere model, although having access to lore opens up some different possibilities which might make up for it. Edited by Tracker1

Haldir, Pippin, and Merry let you start near secrecy at 21, but without a good way to get down into it.  Still, this combination gives you easy access to Rivendell Blade, Westernesse Dagger, Hands Upon the Bow, direct damage as needed.  Or Great Yew Bow with readying effects (hello Lembas!) so Haldir could attack a couple of times.  Pippin will nicely increase the engagement cost of enemies, and with all Hobbit/Ranger heroes you could include Take No Notice as a 0-cost event.  Then traps: Ithilien Pit so Merry can contribute (along with Fast Hitch so he can quest), and of course Ranger Spikes.  Pippin's draw effect and Merry's ready would be wasted, though.

Edited by GrandSpleen

I think 2 Dagger of Weternesse over rivendell blade is the way to go for Haldir. As long as enemy engagement cost is higher than your threat you can turn Haldir into a Dunhere with 7 attack. Great yew Bow is a good thought, but it is restricted so at most he could have only one dagger or blade with the bow. It's hard to know if the extra attack to the staging area will be more important or the extra attack power, at this point I think I would go with the 2 daggers instead of the bow, but I'll probably try out both. I'll also probably stick with spirit Glorfindel for the threat reduction.

Woo!!!!! More new spoilers!
Haldir is awesome, one of the first heroes in a long time that I am actually considering swapping one of my current heroes out for. Thinking of swapping Loragorn for him in this deck:
http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/104951-two-handed-decks/?p=1194735

I've actually listed a handful of pros and cons and am currently trying to decide if I should (even if just on a trial basis) swap Aragorn for Haldir. If you feel like it please give your opinion/any advice you may have on that thread =)

Lembas is awesome!!! heal and ready effect in one for just one resource! Elrond brings its healing up to 4 as well with his delicious secret herbs and spices. O Lorien will be fantastic in Silvan decks and makes older Silvan allies a bit more viable. Free to Choose seems pretty **** powerful as well. What's with Defender of the Naith though? Just seems like a rehash of Watcher of the Bruinen but still just as bad (maybe a tiny bit less useless). Also horrid art on Defender of the Naith, everything else looks either good or REALLY good though.

The quest itself looks really awesome, where are the quest cards??

Edited by PsychoRocka

I think 2 Dagger of Weternesse over rivendell blade is the way to go for Haldir. As long as enemy engagement cost is higher than your threat you can turn Haldir into a Dunhere with 7 attack. Great yew Bow is a good thought, but it is restricted so at most he could have only one dagger or blade with the bow. It's hard to know if the extra attack to the staging area will be more important or the extra attack power, at this point I think I would go with the 2 daggers instead of the bow, but I'll probably try out both. I'll also probably stick with spirit Glorfindel for the threat reduction.

Why not one of each?

stash-1-227550bd08abe666e.png

Also, not just the staging area but if you play multiplayer or two handed (like me) then he can also attack enemies engaged with your other deck/friend before they can attack with his ability. Inbuilt Feint (if you kill it) and Quick Strike (but only during combat phase) as his ability rather than hands on the bow.

Really cool design regardless of how good he actually is.

Also, not just the staging area but if you play multiplayer or two handed (like me) then he can also attack enemies engaged with your other deck/friend before they can attack with his ability. Inbuilt Feint (if you kill it) and Quick Strike (but only during combat phase) as his ability rather than hands on the bow.

Really cool design regardless of how good he actually is.

Good point, I saw that he had Ranged and wondered why you would need to use his ability to attack enemies engaged with other players, but he can totally pre-empt their attacks.  I already liked him, but after realizing that I like him twice as much since I play almost exclusively 2-player.

I play a lot of miltiplayer, so for me Haldir is gonna be auto-include.

I'm a bit underwhelmed by dat neutral silvan defender, He costs 3, yet most probably not going to survive more than 1 attack...

Yes, with Celeborn his defense is going to be 3 for the first turn. Speaking of the ways to boost him, I don't think he's worth of elven mail. And to defend multiple times you need an enemy with attack 3 or less who happens to be unlucky on shadow effects. Silvan Tracker + Elven Mail is far better. I wonder if anything else comes up during the cycle that makes that neutral defender better... Except for O, Lorien.

So because its "combat action" Haldir's ability is used after shadow cards are dealt but before the attacks take place correct?

It's used anytime an action windows during combat phase is. So, you could kill an enemy engaged with another player before the get the chance to attack.

The only thing is, Haldir needs to do it alone, no opportunity for anybody to join him in this attack.

So because its "combat action" Haldir's ability is used after shadow cards are dealt but before the attacks take place correct?

It's used anytime an action windows during combat phase is. So, you could kill an enemy engaged with another player before the get the chance to attack.

The only thing is, Haldir needs to do it alone, no opportunity for anybody to join him in this attack.

Yeah cool I assumed this was how it works but just wanted to make sure I had it right.

Yep he definitely needs some awesome weapons and some dunedain marks equipped!! :D

How very exciting! Can't wait to give the player cards and scenario a go. With all the traits Haldir was given he can certainly fit in a lot of different kinds of decks (I was worried he would be pigeon-holed into the silvan archetype). His ability may not always be useful but there is certainly a gap that he fills for a lower threat lore hero especially with that 3 attack and ranged! While he is certainly a wonderful fit in a ranger deck (much better than Faramir is anyway) I think I'll be trying him first with Celeborn and spirit Glorfindel to make use of all the new silvan toys in this pack. The leadership attachment makes me much more comfortable not relying on Elrond to pay for the allies in a tri-sphere deck and the Lembas bread is also a nice alternative method of healing (compared to the unthematic steward of healing and the expensive and fragile daughter of the nimrodel). The neutral naith ally doesn't seem super useful but I'll give it a try too. The deck will pair well with a tactics focused deck especially for defense which seems to be silvan a biggest weakness and all the other great attachments like rivendell blade and elven mail. Legolas will be an obvious choice along and then I could either stay entirely elven with Elrohir and Elladan or go with Beregond for my primary defender then have a host of options for the 3rd: Bard or Brand (the latter may combo especially well with Haldir) for some further ranged support which will also help with Rumil and the new tactics event. Or maybe Beorn for the

big body and emergency sentinel. Keeping mono tactics would allow me to feasibly play eagles and run Gwaihir which would be fun or I could splash leadership and use Aragorn who could contribute in any phase (and even receive a rivendell now which id use), Balin for some low cost questingn and shadow support, or Sam for the low threat willpower. So many deck building options, love how the game has evolved.

(Sorry for any typos, wrote this on my phone whilst on vacation)

I think any ranger characters can participate to Haldir combat action … or there is some rules I mess up?

I like, really like player cards in this cycle. I dont reallyvlike all this Dunlands quests (I mean first 2 packs) ideaif this Dunlands tribes story remaind me more Agot then Lotr. And now I like the quest! Again we see some Sauron Mordors orks and now im happy!

I think any ranger characters can participate to Haldir combat action … or there is some rules I mess up?

The text implies that you immediately resolve an attack by this ability, like with the hands upon the bow or quick strike, without the chance of anybody else participating. Would be loadsa betta if am wrong though.