Sign in to follow this  
Torresse

My only bone to pick...

6 rounds, everything is suppose to be done in 6 rounds.... perhaps a limited number of rounds is smart, but I would rather have a death match, or go until x amount of victory points have been matched... Im just trying to figure out how you get 2 hours out of 6 rounds... I think I hear complicated rules. 20 minutes per round :S

I don't mind the six round time limit. I originally didn't like when I saw it in other table top mini games, but I realized that in large strategic battles the situation surrounding the battle can be just as fluid as what is going on inside a battle. If you have a major engagement go on to long, other forces are going to get involved, or one side will retreat or some other development is likely to happen. Very very very few battles are fought until one side is destroyed, especially as those battles get larger in scale.

I think the limited number of turns also works well with the new strategic win conditions that are going to be part of this game.

On a more practical matter, placing a maximum on the number of turns a battle can last makes the game much more playable as it keeps games from dragging on to long.

While I have had a bad experience with six round games *cough*WHFB*cough*, the main concern for me is:

They went through all this effort to model a command structure, complete with custom "command discs" which stack. They have a ship with 3 command, meaning it has 3 commands stacked at once, and when you choose a command you plan for three rounds in advance. So you just stop picking commands halfway through the game, or what? You'll never see those commands, so why bother? And what happens when they release a regular ISD, with perhaps 6 command? You just pick all 6 actions you'll get for the whole game when deploying, and never pick any more?

I'm sure there will be some upgrades or officers like "Change of Plans: Switch two commands in your command stack" or similar, but outside of those, it feels like the 6 round limit is directly hampering one of the game's unique features.

Last ship standing is always an option. I think six rounds is just the average number of rounds they expect a game to last.

Edited by keroko

It says games take around 2 hours. if it takes 2 hours to play 6 rounds, how many want to push beyond that, or maybe by round 6 you have a definitive winner.

Why can we not wait until the game comes out to get all butt hurt about it.

Last ship standing is always an option. I think six rounds is just the average number of rounds they expect a game to last.

From the FFG Announcement Article:

Games of Armada are played over six rounds, each of which is broken into four phases.

(...)

Then the player with initiative increases the round count, or if you’ve just completed the sixth round, the game ends. Victory is awarded to the player who has scored more total points

You can always play until last ship standing with friends, obviously, but it seems pretty clear that the game ends after round six. I'm assuming this has to do with the mission cards they introduced, which add objectives and mix up scoring every game. It seems like the missions are designed to be randomly drawn when a game starts.

I see one of two things happening:

1 )  The rules covered in the announcement are just for the mission mode of play, where you have 6 turns to accomplish your mission or progress as far as possible, meaning that there's a possibility for a 'tournament rules' or 'fleet battle rules' section in the rulebook where you'll play a standard points-cost battle with no turn limit. or,

2 )  The entire game is designed with six rounds in mind, and even tournament games feature mission cards.

Certainly interested to see which is true.

Personally I hate turn restricted games, as I've had too many hit the last turn that could still go either way given just one more turn. I much prefer to go to last ship standing. But we'll see how destructive it can get in six turns and find out, I suppose.

From the FFG Announcement Article:

Games of Armada are played over six rounds, each of which is broken into four phases.

(...)

Then the player with initiative increases the round count, or if you’ve just completed the sixth round, the game ends. Victory is awarded to the player who has scored more total points

You can always play until last ship standing with friends, obviously, but it seems pretty clear that the game ends after round six. I'm assuming this has to do with the mission cards they introduced, which add objectives and mix up scoring every game. It seems like the missions are designed to be randomly drawn when a game starts.

I see one of two things happening:

1 )  The rules covered in the announcement are just for the mission mode of play, where you have 6 turns to accomplish your mission or progress as far as possible, meaning that there's a possibility for a 'tournament rules' or 'fleet battle rules' section in the rulebook where you'll play a standard points-cost battle with no turn limit. or,

2 )  The entire game is designed with six rounds in mind, and even tournament games feature mission cards.

Certainly interested to see which is true.

I stand corrected.

To explain... I believe option 2 is the most likely answer. Tournaments are very popular in X-wing, so it's not all that surprising that FFG is already taking the tournament scene into account.

I'm not too concerned. It'll speed up tournaments and it's an easy rule to ignore when playing with friends. At my local club we're already ignoring X-wings "teams can only debate as long as the opponent can hear it and you can't show your teammates your dials" ruling, since we think it's more fun if the opposing team has no idea what yours has planned and vice versa. 

Edited by keroko

On 8/11/2014 at 12:30 AM, Torresse said:

6 rounds, everything is suppose to be done in 6 rounds.... perhaps a limited number of rounds is smart, but I would rather have a death match, or go until x amount of victory points have been matched... Im just trying to figure out how you get 2 hours out of 6 rounds... I think I hear complicated rules. 20 minutes per round :S

Death match FTW! 

(Today is necro day)

22 hours ago, benskywalker said:

I read halfway through the thread before bothering to look at a date. I couldn't figure out why 6 rounds was all of a sudden a problem.

I did the... exact... same... thing.

Makes me feel a little better that I'm not the only one. :blink: