Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kaxel Vofer

Armada, a consolation Prize???

43 posts in this topic

Is the Armada game a consolation prize for not could have the Star Destroyer in X-Wing, because the Scale???, or is planed to this way???, and why not get a battle in ground???, I think wiil be more interesting for example the Battle of Hoth, greettings

Hugo Y and oddeye like this

I imagine this game was made to appease the capital ship fans who wanted a slice of the X-Wing pie. Not of course by jamming a huge ship down our throats and calling it a star destroyer, but crafting a game that serves capital ships with the respect their due in their own playing field. It's just unfortunate that it's so expensive... but at that price point my expectations are high for it to perform.

I want to know how expensive the expansions will be. I'm still excited for the release, but if the expansions peak over $30 then my enthusiasm might dampen some.

Agreed. Ultimately, a 'capital ship game' in Star Wars isn't a capital ship game unless it has star destroyers in it. And an Imperial star destroyer's main docking back can swallow a CR90 - the biggest thing made for X-wing and one of the biggest gaming pieces in any miniatures game out there - whole. This means that practicality insists you can never have a proper star destroyer in X-wing without laughable scale issues.

I'm looking forward to it.

I expect the expansions will be more expensive - simply because they'll have their fighter wing in with ships. Be interesting to see by how much.

oddeye and Hrathen like this

Agreed. Ultimately, a 'capital ship game' in Star Wars isn't a capital ship game unless it has star destroyers in it. And an Imperial star destroyer's main docking back can swallow a CR90 - the biggest thing made for X-wing and one of the biggest gaming pieces in any miniatures game out there - whole. This means that practicality insists you can never have a proper star destroyer in X-wing without laughable scale issues.

I'm looking forward to it.

I expect the expansions will be more expensive - simply because they'll have their fighter wing in with ships. Be interesting to see by how much.

me too brother, me too! I'm just surprised the fighters are pre painted as well.. hmm have to hold onto my paints and brushes after all. hehe.

I'm just surprised the fighters are pre painted as well.. hmm have to hold onto my paints and brushes after all. 

They are not exactly pre-painted. They are "presented in colors intended to complement their fleets" sooo grey for Imperials and white for alliance.

A Star Destroyer would only have worked in X-Wing as a game mat with some scenario special rules and tokens to begin with. Armada's not a consolation prize; it's an intelligent use of the Star Wars IP to appeal to a different area of Star Wars fandom. 

Some of us when we saw Return of the Jedi thought it would be cool to be flying like Lando, some of us thought it would be awesome to be commanding the fleet like Ackbar, Some of us thought both would be incredible..

The RPG lets us do all of the above. X-Wing lets us do the first thing in a different way then the RPG, and Armada lets us do the second in a different way then the RPG.

Edward Eldritch and Voodooking like this

I never really wanted a Star Destroyer in X-wing.  I mean the CR-90 is already crazy.  There just isn't any way to fit a ISD into the X-wing Game.  I have always wanted a game like this.  When I saw Star Trek Attack Wing I saw how easy it would be.  Then I was very pleasantly surprised that Armada doesn't use the flight path system at all.

I don't know much about this new system, but I felt the same way when was reading forums about X-wing a year before it came out.  FFG proved to be excellent game designers.  They have my trust, and the fact that it is very different from what I have seen before excites me.

I know the issue of size, but what happen if FFG get the option of relase the Star Destroyer instead the Tantive???, even with the change of the scale, greettings.

I know the issue of size, but what happen if FFG get the option of relase the Star Destroyer instead the Tantive???, even with the change of the scale, greettings.

I... what? I'm not sure whether you're talking about Armada or X-wing here, but getting Star Destroyers in Armada is pretty much a given at this point.

No it's not a consolation prize. It's a great new game (hopefully) that takes some parts from X-Wing and scales it up to capital ships. And forget about an ISD in X-Wing. It's just too big and relative scale for a ship that size would still be too big. It'll be something else and we'll all buy it. 

Thread closed. 

GrandAdmiralCrunch likes this

Of course Armada is a great game, but I said that in X-wing we don't have a Star destroyer because the scale issue, so FFG  gives us like a consolation Price a Destroyer or similar in Armada, greettings.

FFG already abandoed scale in favor of style (well done, btw!). Their official stance on big ships in X-Wing has been (paraprhasing) "not to scale, rather what feels right and works well for the game".

So i wouldn't abandon hope for a Star Destroyer yet. But I would certainly forget it being to scale. That'd be sheer insanity.

Although you do have to ask yourself, whether anything they can create for X-Wing still feels like a Star Destroyer while being in any way working for the game.

Star Destroyers have far too much firepower and are very bad at maneuvering. But maybe they'll create a small version for the game? A tiny Star Destroyer? Would that even still work, thematically?

You are right, but it could be graet to have a Star Destroyer against a squad of X-Wings, or a Tantive IV been destroyed by this ship, it could be amazing, but now we have this game, greettings.

From what ive seen starwars armarda is like the next step along in the x-wing game there are desing features that seem more elegant to x-wings even if these things have driven up the cost. Armard a seems a better design for much larger games there is alot less tokens to keep track of (when you have a focus, two target lock tokens, evade, stress, ion and more things start to get clutted quicky. There is only one movement template that can be adjusted for all of a ships possible movements. Markers to show what squadrons of ships that have acted this round on the bases cutting down on clutter. This game strikes me more as a more matured and cleaver style of x-wing game not as just a consolation prize for oh well we cant sell you a ship the size of a table.

Jedhead and Corellian Corvette like this