Sign in to follow this  
Hockeyzombie

A couple predictions

So, in the preview article we see that different ships have "Squadron" ratings. My prediction is that these are free squadrons of TIE Fighters or X-Wings, and at some point we'll have the option to spend points to upgrade to Interceptors, B-Wings, and so on. 

There will be at least one unit in the core set that makes an impact on the meta for all eternity, like Biggs in X-Wing. There will probably be at least one in the first run of expansions as well, like Howlrunner. Bonus points if either of these characters ends up being really important to the Armada meta, if organized play becomes a thing. 

Somehow, people will find a way to complain that turrets are ruining the skill part of the game. 

After the game comes out we'll see a lot of confusion over the fact that you shoot before you move, since most games do the opposite. Since I used to play a lot of War At Sea, I expect this will be an ongoing problem for me in particular.

If the TIE Defender is ever released as a squadron, there will be a month or so of bickering as to whether it's overcosted or not. The TIE Advanced will initially struggle to gain the love of X-Wings players, who by now instinctively don't trust it.

A year or two from now someone will necro one of the first topics and those of us still playing Armada will laugh at all the posts worrying about things that never came to pass or turned out to be great for the game. Granted, the people that didn't like the end result will have moved on by then.

At somepoint someone will rage at how the Victory-class has more attack dice on it's front arc then on both of its side arcs combined, and they will compare it to a battleship and insist that it should rely on broadsiding targets. The fact that they recently lost because they put one of their ships directly in front of a Victory-class will allegedly have nothing whatsoever to do with their complaints.

People will never stop speculating about third factions, expansions that haven't been released yet, or a hypothetical "Yavin Aces" pack.

We're all going to be broke as homeless people, and halfheartedly complain about the price of expansion before admitting that we're buying multiples of some expansion or another.

Edited by Hockeyzombie

So, in the preview article we see that different ships have "Squadron" ratings. My prediction is that these are free squadrons of TIE Fighters or X-Wings, and at some point we'll have the option to spend points to upgrade to Interceptors, B-Wings, and so on.

I suspect that is more the number of squadrons the ship can control, you will still have to buy the squads of x-wings and ties separately.

I'm thinking they'll package a couple squadrons with the ships that carry them... I dont know if other games that have similar squads do it, but that seems logical to me.. provide it to the ship. Just makes sense to me..

I'm thinking they'll package a couple squadrons with the ships that carry them... I dont know if other games that have similar squads do it, but that seems logical to me.. provide it to the ship. Just makes sense to me..

That's what I'm counting on

I suspect that is more the number of squadrons the ship can control, you will still have to buy the squads of x-wings and ties separately.

This is my theory about the squadrons. It is a little complexish, but follows the RTS feel of the game:

Base fighters will be free points-wise: they will come standard with the ship. This means your generic Academy Pilots, Rookies, and Blue Squadrons all cost 0 points. What they will differ in will be supply points: For example, TIE Fighters and Bombers will only cost one supply (meaning the VSD can field 3 squadrons of a mix and match) whereas Defenders may cost 3 supply (only one squad for the VSD if they choose to field them). Special pilots of a ship type (aka Luke Skywalker) won't cost extra supply for the ship type, but will cost points to field.

This is my theory about the squadrons. It is a little complexish, but follows the RTS feel of the game:

Base fighters will be free points-wise: they will come standard with the ship. This means your generic Academy Pilots, Rookies, and Blue Squadrons all cost 0 points. What they will differ in will be supply points: For example, TIE Fighters and Bombers will only cost one supply (meaning the VSD can field 3 squadrons of a mix and match) whereas Defenders may cost 3 supply (only one squad for the VSD if they choose to field them). Special pilots of a ship type (aka Luke Skywalker) won't cost extra supply for the ship type, but will cost points to field.

This seems likely, I wouldn't be surprised. It might also be that you spend squadron to upgrade (like spending all 3 to upgrade your basic TIEs to Defenders) and then spend points on further upgrades like putting Vessery in charge. I wonder if pilots would be interchangeable, or if it will be like X-Wing where a pilot only flies one type of ship.

On 8/9/2014 at 9:27 AM, Hockeyzombie said:

A year or two from now someone will necro one of the first topics and those of us still playing Armada will laugh at all the posts worrying about things that never came to pass or turned out to be great for the game. Granted, the people that didn't like the end result will have moved on by then.

I loathe necro's but got a solid belly laugh out of this.

Evidently, my love of irony outweighs my hatred of necromancy.

4 minutes ago, BrobaFett said:

I loathe necro's but got a solid belly laugh out of this.

Evidently, my love of irony outweighs my hatred of necromancy.

Yep, that's what convinced me to necro this one.  That and the way that so many of these predictions are/were spot on.  Glad I've not irked you without making you laugh.:ph34r:

On ‎10‎/‎08‎/‎2014 at 2:27 AM, Hockeyzombie said:

Somehow, people will find a way to complain that turrets are ruining the skill part of the game. 

Let's see....we've had that 'Rhymer and Demo are crutches' thing that went on at the end of wave 2.  Now it's flotillas.

On ‎10‎/‎08‎/‎2014 at 2:27 AM, Hockeyzombie said:

1)After the game comes out we'll see a lot of confusion over the fact that you shoot before you move, since most games do the opposite. Since I used to play a lot of War At Sea, I expect this will be an ongoing problem for me in particular.

2)If the TIE Defender is ever released as a squadron, there will be a month or so of bickering as to whether it's overcosted or not.

3)People will never stop speculating about third factions, expansions that haven't been released yet, or a hypothetical "Yavin Aces" pack.

4)We're all going to be broke as homeless people, and halfheartedly complain about the price of expansion before admitting that we're buying multiples of some expansion or another.

1) Still get this from new players.

2) Don't know if any actual bickering took place, but there was a lot of (mostly good) discussion as to the relative merits of a Defender vs. two Fighters.

3) Yep

4) Yes, at least to the first bit.

On 8/9/2014 at 9:27 AM, Hockeyzombie said:

There will be at least one unit in the core set that makes an impact on the meta for all eternity, like Biggs in X-Wing. There will probably be at least one in the first run of expansions as well, like Howlrunner. Bonus points if either of these characters ends up being really important to the Armada meta, if organized play becomes a thing. 

After the game comes out we'll see a lot of confusion over the fact that you shoot before you move, since most games do the opposite. Since I used to play a lot of War At Sea, I expect this will be an ongoing problem for me in particular.

If the TIE Defender is ever released as a squadron, there will be a month or so of bickering as to whether it's overcosted or not. The TIE Advanced will initially struggle to gain the love of X-Wings players, who by now instinctively don't trust it.

At somepoint someone will rage at how the Victory-class has more attack dice on it's front arc then on both of its side arcs combined, and they will compare it to a battleship and insist that it should rely on broadsiding targets. The fact that they recently lost because they put one of their ships directly in front of a Victory-class will allegedly have nothing whatsoever to do with their complaints.

People will never stop speculating about third factions, expansions that haven't been released yet, or a hypothetical "Yavin Aces" pack.

We're all going to be broke as homeless people, and halfheartedly complain about the price of expansion before admitting that we're buying multiples of some expansion or another.

OMG. O-O

1 hour ago, Undeadguy said:

/roll 1d20 Wisdom Save 

I resist.

Queue all other players running backwards as fast as they can, because the plan was for the Paladin to turn undead and then they attack.

..... "You have heavy armor, you'll be fine."

These are the words said before the death of every Paladin.

But back on topic, we should make a time capsule thread.  Write 3 ideas about what you think the game will be like in April 2018, then dig it up then and make another one, and so on.   It's kinda like sowing the seeds for future threadromancers.

Edited by D503

I was actually thinking of casting a Raise Dead and seeing how many of these I was right about. May as well take the opportunity I've been granted. 

1) I was completely wrong. Squadron rating turned out totally different. If I had been right, Rebel ships would need to be more expensive by (on average) 5-20 points. Also presumably the squadron command wouldn't exist? Armada would be a very different game if I'd been right, it's hard to imagine what other changes would have resulted from this one. 

2) Looking at only at stuff that's exclusive to the core set, there's Howlrunner and Luke. I'm not familiar with the tournament meta so I'm not suer if Leia counts but I almost always have her in a GR75 when I play Rebels. Adding wave one into the mix gives us Demolisher, Rhymer, and Yavaris. I'm not counting Admirals because there's not that many and as a mandatory inclusion they're almost all bound to show up on a fairly regular basis. Except Ozzel and Garm, I suppose. 

3) The turrets thing was just a joke about X-Wing and the rage caused by the Millenium Falcon not being restricted to a firing arc. Move along. 

(last I checked there's still salt about turrets in the X-Wing forums though)

4) Apparently I was right on this one. I remember having to remind myself and others constantly when I got back into Armada. 

5) I don't think it's overcosted, but I still end up wondering if I should just use two basic Fighters. At this point it depends mostly on how many squadrons I have otherwise, and if I care about Bomber more than Swarm. It seems this is a common dilemma.

6) There's been a small surge in necromancy lately. Like this thread for instance. And I did laugh at my own squadron prediction.

7) My friend quit for a year or so because Imperials were (almost) all front arcs and Rebels were (sort) all broadsides. Does that count? He quit shortly after wave two and I got back in after wave five (he followed soon after). I've seen more arguing about whether or not Snipe is garbage than I've seen about the Victory. If anything the Victory seems a bit unpopular. 

8) Saw like three threads discussing Scum and Villainy in the past month or two. Also at least two discussing the Clone Wars and New Republic/First Order, and whether they should be a part of Armada or a separate but compatible game. 

9) I don't know about everyone else's finances, but I'm surprisingly not broke. Admittedly the fact that I play Magic a lot more casually now is probably why. Also I finally learned some really basic budgeting--when I go to buy a new board or tabletop game I ask, "but will I play this or just play Armada?" and then I put it back on the shelf. When I go to buy a video game, I remind myself that I still have The Witcher 3 but haven't played it yet. This has been incredibly effective at keeping me out of poverty.