Sign in to follow this  
Hrathen

Point values.

So I think I can tell that a victory class star destroyer costs 85 points. I am guessing that in a standard 100 point game, that leaves you 15 points for upgrades/crew/commanders/fighter squadrons. That seems a great balance between ships and upgrades/ extras to me (granted my judgement is pretty arbitrary).

Now here is my issue. I think I am not alone when I say that when I read about this game I knew I wanted to play with Star Destroyers, not victory class or any of the other classes, but real honest to goodness Star destroyers, I am talking Imperial class.

But here is my problem, if a Victory class cost 85 points, an ISD has to cost something really close to 100. I always scaled an ISD as about twice as powerful as a Victory, but even if it just a little bit more, there is little chance that an ISD isn't going to cost really close to 100 points.

If a hundred points isn't the standard sized game then fine, but if it is, it is not going to be very fun building lists with ISD taking up all your points.

Just a little worry I have been having.

I do realize that the X Wing starter set, let you play about 30 point games, and the standard of 100 is more than three times that number. Hopefully if the starter set for this game lets you play 100 point games, then the standard game might scale to something like 300 or even 500 points. Which is what I hope, because frankly I don't just want ISD I want super star destroyers.

The Victory-class has a lot more attack dice then the Corvette, so it would be pretty simple to just hammer one Corvette into oblivion until it either retreats or dies. The Corvettes have a little more hull and shields if there's two of them, but the Victory-class hits about as hard as both combined and at a guess has an extra squadron of starfighters to tilt the odds. It's also likely that the Victory-class has better self-repair options or an ability to boost damage output, that Engineering score seems relevant. People thought the X-Wing core set would be too kind to the Imperials because it came with two TIE fighters and one X-Wing, but after getting to try it most people agreed that it was fine.

I think 200 will be tournament.  That way, if you want to run 2 Victory class ships, then go ahead, but still leaves you 30 pts for TIEs and such. I can just make out the named B-wing in the expansion as costing 29, and the Named TIE is 16, so I think 200-250 is reasonable.

I'm guessing there will be an Epic type scale at 500-600 points.

Sorry OP, but I don't think you'll ever see SSDs. They fit into this game just about as good as an ISD fits into X-wing. If they add in SSD it will be a shrunken down version that will not feel like a massive starship. Also you have the problem of there not being a great Rebel equivalent to match the firepower of one.

Also you have the problem of there not being a great Rebel equivalent to match the firepower of one.

I have reread your statement 15 times and fail to see any problem.

There is a old saying on Tatooine, 'sometimes the Bantha simply needs to swat the flies.'

;)

Edited by Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun

I'm guessing there will be an Epic type scale at 500-600 points.

Sorry OP, but I don't think you'll ever see SSDs. They fit into this game just about as good as an ISD fits into X-wing. If they add in SSD it will be a shrunken down version that will not feel like a massive starship. Also you have the problem of there not being a great Rebel equivalent to match the firepower of one.

Bulwark Mark IV Battlecruiser would come close to matching an SSD. That's what it was made for in the Rebellion PC Game after all. Or if they want to go into New Republic era warships like X-Wing did with the E-Wing there are the Viscount class Star Defenders