Sign in to follow this  
Bikeanimal

Xwinger's thoughts on Armada

I would like this a lot better then the X-wing game... i feel like a blind man with a 10 foot stick trying to hit a pinata the size of a car.  very little tactical in the game.

this would have LOTS of tactical.. so much that a lot of people would probably be put off by it.

Edited by kinnison

I would like this a lot better then the X-wing game.

Too early to call for me at the mo-it almost feels like 40k (xwing) and space marine (armada) to me-which bodes well for both for me to be honest. Definitely intrigued by armada-if it is more strategic and xwing's more tactical I can see loving both...

Yup, the sky is falling over on that forum.

As the OP I think the question needed to be asked. Why not? There are only so many Star Wars squadron type ships. Is FFG splitting its community? Will X Wing gamers be able to afford to support two miniatures games?

I'm not saying the sky is falling by any means but I've expressed a genuine question, obviously the overwhelming answers on THE X WING forum has been a categorical "no", I expected no less, but I can't be alone in wondering if FFG is switching it's focus or beginning the movement toward another eventual replacement product line.

, obviously the overwhelming answers on THE X WING forum has been a categorical "no", I expected no less, but I can't be alone in wondering if FFG is switching it's focus or beginning the movement toward another eventual replacement product line.

Huh? Have there been another 10 pages on that thread in the pas 5 minutes? The first 5 pages were overwhelmingly positive, with just one or two people expressing concern.

As the OP I think the question needed to be asked. Why not? There are only so many Star Wars squadron type ships. Is FFG splitting its community? Will X Wing gamers be able to afford to support two miniatures games?

I'm not saying the sky is falling by any means but I've expressed a genuine question, obviously the overwhelming answers on THE X WING forum has been a categorical "no", I expected no less, but I can't be alone in wondering if FFG is switching it's focus or beginning the movement toward another eventual replacement product line.

There's a ceiling to the number of ship types (and therefore expansion packs) possible for any game so yes the games will have a shelf life (hopefully a long one) but without the facts n figures in front of me I can't really answer this one. I just hope FFG look beyond new ship type expansion packs as the only way to continue to support the game, the options for advancing the game beyond just new ship types is incredible... My (ignorant of the facts) guess would be yes a slight splitting of the community would happen as people look to the game and forum they prefer to play but I wouldn't go so far as to say no overlap would occur-if FFG made some bridging/compatibility rules the impact would be lessened considerably...

Players would support both games to differing degrees (40k always outperformed space marine for GW and I'd expect xwing to do the same over armada for FFG) but it's entirely possible for xwing and armada to coexist peacefully for some time...

You're right. I called it the 'sky is falling' thread, because that's how many people would take it. There is a doom-sayer knee-jerk in this community, you'll have to admit.

I think you might be right that there are only so many more expansions that can be added to X-Wing, before we start seeing abominations like the TIE Experimental, TIE Star Cruiser, or stuff coming out of a Kevin J. Anderson novel. So, I do embrace a peak theory of X-Wing. I already think of the TIE Defender and the TIE Phantom as being a part of that, but I'm a curmudgeon. So I would. I also sometimes refer to myself in the plural third person.

I would like this a lot better then the X-wing game... i feel like a blind man with a 10 foot stick trying to hit a pinata the size of a car.  very little tactical in the game.

this would have LOTS of tactical.. so much that a lot of people would probably be put off by it.

Little tactical stuff in X-wing????????????????????????? DDDDDDDDDDDDDAAAAAAAAAAAAA HECK??????????????????

Little tactical stuff in X-wing????????????????????????? DDDDDDDDDDDDDAAAAAAAAAAAAA HECK??????????????????

I think what he's referring to is that X-Wing is a bit of a guessing game. There's a lot of "I hope I wind up in the right place" going on, instead of "I've got Biggs' tail and can keep it unless Luke comes out of nowhere and...". It's a fine game, but its tactics are limited by the immense uncertainty the system presents.

That said, I still like it.

For Armada, it seems like luck and guessing will be less important. From what I'm seeing of the statistics, the game still rolls too few dice (a problem I have with X-Wing), but I imagine that's for convenience as much as anything. The command system appears to represent the massive crews of certain ships rather well, and in a particularly Star Wars-esque way.

All in all, I prefer ship combat to fighter combat, so this will hit my table as soon as it comes out. Luckily, I just changed jobs.

Why wouldn't you just play both? They are two separate games with two completely different rule sets. One is a fast paced dog fighting game and the other is a slower-paced space combat game. I know I am looking forward to being able to switch between the two on a regular basis.

compared to miniature Air/Space combat games: Crimson Skies (I got playtest credit on that), Silent Death, Blue Max, Dawn Patrol, Ace of Aces, etc..

yes.  You lose the "the art of Maneuver" knowing where you are going to end up after deciding how to move, compared to your opponents.  I blame the huge firing arcs for a fighter with fixed forward weapons

I'm pretty invested in X-wing so this news doesn't seem that great to me... Will they still be supporting x-wing or is this a replacement? Regardless, there are finite resources so it stands to reason that at least one of the Star Wars miniatures game will ultimately have to suffer...