• Announcements

• FFG Fra

Upcoming Changes to the Fantasy Flight Games Forums   01/20/2017

Hello Fantasy Flight Games forum community!   This week, we will be making some important changes to your Fantasy Flight Games community account and the way that you log into the Fantasy Flight Games community forums and web store.   We have been working hard to integrate with the rest of the Asmodee group, and we are happy to announce a unified way to access all the websites and apps made by Fantasy Flight Games, Days of Wonder, and Asmodee!   For most users, nothing will change: you will still log into the Fantasy Flight Games forums using your current login name and password. Only the login user interface will be new.   For a few users, your credentials might be slightly changed. For example, this could happen to users who have both a Fantasy Flight Games and Days of Wonder account, or in the case of conflicting login names across platforms. When these situations occur, special e-mails will be sent to those users with an easy explanation about those changes and what steps to take next. For any of you receiving those e-mails, please make sure to follow the instructions carefully.   Remember, official communications from Fantasy Flight Games or Asmodee.Net will never ask for your password.   What are the benefits for you as a player? Using a unified account to access all of our web services and apps makes your life simpler. Over time, you will see new features emerging, such as keeping all of your friends under a single account, finding friends easily in apps with online play, or developing your personal profile by adding to your board games collection. These are just some of the features that you will see during the next year, once this important technical step is complete.   Important note: The migration of the forums to our new system will take place on Tuesday, January 24th. The forums will be offline for about two hours during that time. Once the migration is complete, older forum posts may look strange for up to 24 hours as we rebuild them in our new system.   We can’t wait to connect our board game communities and build bridges between universes, game systems, players, events, groups, game clubs, and more! This is only the first step in bringing people and games closer together. For more information, read our FAQ at https://asmodee.helpshift.com/a/asmodee-net/.   Best regards,   The Fantasy Flight Games Team
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nethog

equip when knocked out?

17 posts in this topic

I was wondering if a hero can equip a new item when knocked out? The rules state that you can equip items before your actions. Being knocked out means you can either pass or stand up - so the rules imply it is ok to equip when knocked out - is this correct?

As far as I understand, the answer is yes, the hero can change equipment during that part of his turn. A knocked out hero has a number of things explicitly barred to them: namely any action other than the stand up action or any abilities. Re-equipping is neither of these things, and in fact occurs before the phase of the turn in which the hero would use abilities or actions.

I am inclined to agree with whitewing, as you can also activate your familiar before (and only before) you stand up. However, note that heroes passing by CANNOT trade items with a knocked out hero token.

Since a hero, when knocked out, is taken off of the board and replaced with a hero token, there actually is NO hero on the board.

Now, if you want to equip something because you are going to use an action to stand up, I can understand this.  If you choose to pass and do nothing, I really don't see the value to equipping something, as I see no way it makes any difference if you do so, either on your turn or when it comes to the OL's turn.

If this isn't even your turn, there really is no way for you to obtain something to equip, as you aren't even on the board.

Probably wants to equip something that gives him more hp before he stands up so he gets to stand up for "free" :P i dont think thats gonna fly

Or maybe wants to equip 2 shields, so that when he stands up, he's got 2 to use instead of 1 or 0, making it more likely he lives to take an actual turn.

Probably wants to equip something that gives him more hp before he stands up so he gets to stand up for "free" :P i dont think thats gonna fly

Or maybe wants to equip 2 shields, so that when he stands up, he's got 2 to use instead of 1 or 0, making it more likely he lives to take an actual turn.

This is what I was thinking.  At least, it makes the most sense.

He might have gotten an armour on the last turn, after the start of his activation, and been knocked out on the OL's turn. So on his new turn he wants to equip the armour, to provide him with more protection.

As was stated upthread, the "equip" item phase of your activation, come before the "take action" phase, and does not count as an action, so you can switch yourequipment, then Revive yourself.

All of the above is true, but only has value THAT TURN if the hero plans on standing up, or otherwise being revived.

I still can't think of a single reason that you would bother to equip something, if you were intending to pass (not stand up).

Thanks for the replies. The reason I wanted to equip an item (a shield in my case) when knocked out was so that when I revive I have more protection if attacked as was stated in one of the earlier replies. I think the rules suggest that it is ok to equip items when knocked out, but using common sense this does not make sense. Maybe the game designer can provide an official ruling in the faq?

Thanks for the replies. The reason I wanted to equip an item (a shield in my case) when knocked out was so that when I revive I have more protection if attacked as was stated in one of the earlier replies. I think the rules suggest that it is ok to equip items when knocked out, but using common sense this does not make sense. Maybe the game designer can provide an official ruling in the faq?

Although it doesn't make sense thematically, I think the rules and the dev rulings have been clear about following the turn order.

I am pretty sure it would be allowed as other start of turn things like activating familiars are allowed (though hero abilities are inactive), but you should submit the question. It's either allowed whether you intend to stand up or not, or it is entirely forbidden. It makes no sense for intention to play a role, as you can't prove intention, and the hero "intending" to stand youbup could get web trapped.

Rules allow it. Thematically it works too.

Were you to stand up or be helped up, the entire "thematic fantasy time" your characters turn is in involves him getting to his feet and preparing for the the assault (the overlord's next turn, since his turn is now forfeit if he got up on his own). I could easily see him reaching for his shield as he comes up, looking at the monsters and readying himself.

Edited by Carbini