Sign in to follow this  
Tiltowait

FFG's Dice App questions...(review?)

Hey folks I've read about the dice app and am considering picking it up.

Has anyone here tried it? 

My thoughts on the pros/cons so far.

Pros: 

Never worry about losing/mixing up your dice.

Less to carry (more of an issue when traveling).

Shiny?

Possible convenience/time saver (if it say allows you to save dice configs)...not chase flying dice or wait for the guy who's stalling by taking forever to pick up and roll em.

Reduce squabbling over "modded dice" during tourneys.

Cons:

RNG woes (random number generator).

Lacks the tactile feel of real dice (this is a big thing for me.)

I have not tried it as I don't know anyone who has it.  How is the interface?  How does the UI work with say "I've got a HLC with TL and Marksmanship. Defender has 1 evade token and R7." How do building/clearing dice pools work? Can you save dice configs/loadouts? 

Any input appreciated and thank you! :D

Edited by Tiltowait

In timed matches you want to maximize time moving and planning, not tinkering with the interface EVERY time a dice roll is required.  The app could cause an issue in those timed matches, but i don't know from experience as i don't have the app.

Regardless of how terrible the dice are, i personally would rather roll dice then touch a screen.

i got it just because i had some free app money to spend.. its not bad and doesn't take long to roll the dice, also has cool sound effects.. overall its probably quicker than hand rolling as you don't have to chase the dice around also no risk of dice bouncing around and hitting ships etc..  my phone is also a Note 2 so it has a pretty big screen size which is nice for this app actually its nice for ALL apps... but anyway its a cool app..  

I also bought it to simply throw dice while on break at work, for theory crafting. I was expecting something half arsed, and when I first got it, I thought it was. But when you figure out the short-cuts its actually not bad, and I'd say I could probably throw the dice and modify quicker than someone with real dice, so no problem of slowing the game there. But thats with me looking at the screen. Trying to crowd 2 people around it may be more interesting. I'd give it a try, but like all FFG products, its not bad. Perhaps a tad overpriced for what you get, but not bad.

I like it, I rarely use itnthough. I bought it on my phone, and it ported over to my tablet.. both are Samsung android devices.. my prefered software for phones...

It is easy to manipulate, and you can set sensitivity to your needs.. it can also be set so low that you can shake it to roll it..

Overall a good purchase in my opinion.. and I like that you can change the background and sounds.. also if you play the Star Wars RPG by FFG those dice are on it as well.. so.. very versatile

Also.. if you find a way to hack it.. your opponent is also using it.. soooo... not the brightest move...

Edited by oneway

Con - long tourney is the death on mobile devices.  Gencon last year went approx 4 am.

This is the big thing for me. I like the app, and the sound effects are fun, but I have to turn the brightness up for my opponent to be able to see it clearly, and my battery was sapped by the end of the 3-hour game night. Maybe newer devices last longer, but even still, dice on the table don't stop working if you use them too much.

there are many options for devices these days that recharge your battery on the fly, I have one I carry that I can plug in my phone or GPS, or even my tablet.. there are lots of cheap ones mine was about 50 bucks.. 

Hackity Hack... win every match! :D

you people do know you can request to use your opponents dice or have your opponent use yours if there is a whiff of foul play. right?

which is why i think dice cheating isn't actually a threat in this game.

"oh hey, mind if we just start using your dice the rest of this game"

or

"hey can we use my dice the rest of the match?"

if your opponent gets awkward or passes it off you (and your TO) can be 90% sure your opponent is cheating, or just really awkward about dice (but if that were the case then why come to a tournament)

Pros: 

Never worry about losing/mixing up your dice.

Less to carry (more of an issue when traveling).

Shiny?

Possible convenience/time saver (if it say allows you to save dice configs)...not chase flying dice or wait for the guy who's stalling by taking forever to pick up and roll em.

Reduce squabbling over "modded dice" during tourneys.

Cons:

RNG woes (random number generator).

Lacks the tactile feel of real dice (this is a big thing for me.)

I have not tried it as I don't know anyone who has it.  How is the interface?  How does the UI work with say "I've got a HLC with TL and Marksmanship. Defender has 1 evade token and R7." How do building/clearing dice pools work? Can you save dice configs/loadouts?

I have it. As far as I know, you can't save dice pools. It's pretty simple to use, and it does allow use of X-wing dice, Edge of the Empire dice (FFG's SWRPG), and general dice (d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20). FFG does allow its use at tournaments, which suggests to me the RNG is sufficiently random. It does lack the feel of dice, but everything that's not dice will not feel like dice; the "shake the phone to roll" function is decent, though. The app also allows quick modification (focus -> hit, etc.) of dice.