Sign in to follow this  
Icosiel

Last One Standing in actual play

I've read opinions from both sides of the debate about Last One Standing as written (it's way too overpowered; it is a great narrative tool and potentially a ton of fun), but I'm curious to hear from people who have actually had it appear in their games. What is the Signature Ability like in actual play? When have your players used it, and how did it affect the game?

I'm surprised no one has answered this in three years.

I have a player with this signature ability and have used it two times in separate sessions.

The first time it was used the player (a Klatooinian heavy) tried to fight his way out from a group of slavers. Once he fought his way out and found his weapon, he activated this ability and succeeded. He described how he intimidatingly marched down the hallway, wasting everyone in his way, and liberating the other slaves. This was a pretty epic moment and awe-inspiring. He had to fight his way to get his gun first so he didnt proc this on round 1.

On the other session, however, we were inside a cantina. A bounty hunter and his goons attacked the party. On round 2 he activated this and killed all the minions. Since he rolled a despair I ruled that he accidentally killed the bartender that was being held hostage by the enemy. With only the bounty hunter standing, the party won and escaped (they didn't kill the bounty hunter because it had a sniper backup). This one wasn't as glorious as the first time.

In my opinion, it can be a cool ability but it can really turn into a go-to, no-brainer button to defeat an encounter swiftly. So I try now to keep enemy reinforcements once the first wave of weaklings are down as well as a few rival enemies. ALWAYS have two nemesis bosses to back each other up.

I think broadening it out to all SAs would be good.  Aside from playtesting none of my guys have ever been the slightest interested in SAs.  It all boils down to a lot of xp for something you use once a session and they just never piqued their interests.  I'd be interested in how many groups use them.

2nded on players being not interested. We have the splatbook for every career the players have, we're at 400ish earned XP, nobody's even really considered the Signature Abilities yet. I even pointed out Last Man Standing to our tank. No bites yet.

I love Signature Abilities, and in my group they have seen use a couple of times.

Our Smuggler has Unmatched Fortune, and our Colonist has Unmatched Expertise.  The Smuggler always makes sure that there are enough Destiny Points available before doing something stupid because he can luck his way out of a scrape with enough Triumphs, and the Colonist, an analytical droid, has used Expertise in large-scale battles to help with tactics.

I would LOVE to buy some Signature Abilities for my own characters, too, but there's a major problem with my ability to do that :P .

I think it takes a lot of dedication to a character concept to include an SA; in many cases the character will see more "improvement" from spending the equivalent amount of XP on skills and talents. The SA works if it really fits with the style of the game and the fit and feel of the character.

I can't say I have any experience with them, but i'd like to. Some of them really speak to the sort of Conan/John Carter/Tarzan/pulp-fiction deeds of derring-do that create really memorable gaming.

1 hour ago, SFC Snuffy said:

I think it takes a lot of dedication to a character concept to include an SA; in many cases the character will see more "improvement" from spending the equivalent amount of XP on skills and talents. The SA works if it really fits with the style of the game and the fit and feel of the character.

I can't say I have any experience with them, but i'd like to. Some of them really speak to the sort of Conan/John Carter/Tarzan/pulp-fiction deeds of derring-do that create really memorable gaming.

I have to agree with this.  My group hasn't seriously consider them yet.  Mostly because as written, they prefer the SA out of a different career as being more fitting for their character.  I have ruled that they may choose SA's from any career, but they must attach to that career's specialization, and they may only get SA's from a single career.  They have started considering them, but haven't spent the XP yet.

As far as Last Man Standing, I don't think they are looking at it because they have 2 characters with high Ranged skills and heavily modded autofire weapons, plus talents for backup.  Minions go down 10-15 in a round when they aren't trying hard.  Makes it tough to consider that talent unless they don't have their cool guns, or are facing a massive army.

After three years, I can respond to my own post!

Last One Standing turned out to be the signature move of the PC that took it in that campaign. He was a reprogrammed, murderous B2 battle droid who was suffering from rampancy. During the adventure in which my players tried to fix him, he got wired into a machine that forced him to face a dark reflection of himself, essentially starting an encounter within his own droid brain where he had to dual a version of himself with all of the same abilities he had. All the while, the other PCs were outside holding off Imperial forces. When the battle droid defeated his 'dark side' and awoke, all of his running lights had turned to a warm blue color and he found himself with a new motivation: Protect those he cares about. He then strode outside, spent the XP on Last One Standing, and laid waste to the Imperial forces.