Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nyxen

What do you think a fair counter to turrets would be?

65 posts in this topic

Title says it all. Personally, I think an EPT or unique pilot ability that lowered an attacker's dice pool by 1 if defending from outside of their primary arc would be awesome. Perhaps balance it by requiring the user to take a stress to do it or something.

Edited by Nyxen

The counter to turrets is having more ships.  Turrets cost points, so by extension, any list fielding a turret or in particular multiple turrets will have less damage output.  Consider using cheap ships as blockers (Z-95 or TIE fighters) to block movement, deny actions and then focus fire with the rest of your fleet.

I'd suggest being able to field lots of cheap ships might work.  Or just lots of attack dice in general, Especially if the turreted ships are relatively expensive and have low agility.

But as there's already a multitude of effective counters to turreted ships, what context are you looking at exactly here?  What kind of list would need such a specifically hard-built counter?  A three ship Rebel list, maybe?

Edited by FTS Gecko
Plainsman and ghaerdon2 like this

Add the starwing gun boat in give a pilot the ability to perform two secondary attacks per turn and you have your anti super falcon ship.

Or better yet, just take lots of Bombers (or A-Wings, or Z95's) with Cluster Missiles, which already shred anything which can take a turret...

Edited by FTS Gecko
VanorDM likes this

To give more context my favorite list to play is a 4X high PS Interceptor build that gets trashed by the current anti-Phantom meta (Falcons and y-wings and ions, Oh My!).

Outmaneuver is already a good start. Falcon gets no defense dice at range 2 or 1 and in that way you can prevent C3PO from triggering. Turret ships are either expensive or weak. Too many people are too worried about Falcons and Phantoms. The E'tan swarm eats falcons. It does pretty good against phantoms, but it is a harder game. The real meta is pretty messy right now. Phantoms and Flacons is going to continue to be a thing, so any list that does well against both is probably the way to go.

The only situation I could accept a "fix" is given the following - the intent is to open up the game a bit for elite maneuverable ships with low hull (e.g. Interceptors) and it were extremely limited in scope (i.e. a unique card, be it a title or a named crew). Something akin to Mauler's ability but for evade dice at range 3 perhaps. Reward skilled flying, staying at range 3 out of primary, with an extra evade die. Or perhaps something that limited gunner's usage against the ship.

Nyxen likes this

To give more context my favorite list to play is a 4X high PS Interceptor build that gets trashed by the current anti-Phantom meta (Falcons and y-wings and ions, Oh My!).

Well yeah.  The meta has changed and that sort of list is no longer as dominant as it once was.  Drop two to three of those interceptors for a bunch of TIE's and you will find that you do a lot better.

Plainsman and ghaerdon2 like this

Add the starwing gun boat in give a pilot the ability to perform two secondary attacks per turn and you have your anti super falcon ship.

Or better yet, just take lots of Bombers (or A-Wings, or Z95's) with Cluster Missiles, which already shred anything which can take a turret...

But I want my gunboat! 

FTS Gecko likes this

unfortunately for you 1 dimensional squads (i.e. all the same ship) are really not viable anymore, save for the tie swarm which is still quite obnoxious.

perhaps diversifying your threats (Ships) will net you a better result.

Additionally flying squads with 12 total hit points vs squads with 25+ hit points is always going to be an uphill battle no matter how well you fly, sometimes you just roll 3 blanks and your interceptor goes POP!

Edit: to answer the original question, the answers are all listed above, you just have to be willing to play them in your squad, Outmaneuver seems to be the most popular one.

Edited by Mace Windu

High PS isn't that effective against turrets, but it is still useful against most other builds.  If you want to keep flying the 4 x Interceptors against a Falcon list, then you're going to need to accept that arc-dodging won't be your primary method of defense any more - you'll need to rely on other methods of defense, and your goal will need to be to focus fire on the most expensive ship (likely the Falcon), hit it hard, fast and take it down as quickly as possible.

As mentioned,  Outmaneuver becomes really valuable against the usual Falcon builds - no defense dice, no advantage from C3P0.  Predator is valuable as well.  PtL is still good, but you won't get as much value out of the Interceptor's movement shenanigans with it.

Interceptors can shed stress for fun, so if you'reshort on points Elusiveness can help keep you keep your ships alive long enough to make it count, and can help cause a turreted ship to whiff it's attacks.  Kir Kanos with an Evade token is threatening and distracting, and you can use the Evade for defense if you need to.  Soontir Fel with PtL can still turtle up with evade and double focus and draw aggro.

But I want my gunboat! 

We all want our gunboats, but we don't need to wait for it to arrive to effectively counter a Falcon build! ;)

Edited by FTS Gecko

Fair counter for turrets: Modified Tactics.

Modified Tactics is a free upgrade that is available to all players and both factions. It requires thought, planning, practice and patience.

*Disclaimer: This is not an attack on anyone's X-Wing ability, simply pointing out that thought, planning, practice and patience combined with modifing your usual tactics to different ships you face is a counter to everything you will ever face in X-Wing.

Think about how/why/when a turret ship/squad is weak then build your tactical plan (this may include modifying your usual squad) around exploiting that weakness. Practice your piloting skills to allow you to enact your plan to best effect and have patience while you make mistakes and learn.

Zoccola, Stelar 7 and Mace Windu like this

unfortunately for you 1 dimensional squads (i.e. all the same ship) are really not viable anymore, save for the tie swarm which is still quite obnoxious.

perhaps diversifying your threats (Ships) will net you a better result.

Additionally flying squads with 12 total hit points vs squads with 25+ hit points is always going to be an uphill battle no matter how well you fly, sometimes you just roll 3 blanks and your interceptor goes POP!

Edit: to answer the original question, the answers are all listed above, you just have to be willing to play them in your squad, Outmaneuver seems to be the most popular one.

Three phantom lists are pretty tough. 1 named ACD VI and two stigium/jammer sigmas is pretty strong.

Only 12 HP but 12 -15 reds a turn wrecks on people split between only 3 ships.

Turrets, or at least the most problematic ones, tend to be on large ships (well, one is for now, two more coming). I've been thinking about trying the never-used Proximity Mine to create no-fly zones for Phantoms...I wonder if it might be worth dropping in front of a large ship as well.

Flying four ships straight out of Wave 2, with possibly little to no modification, doesn't suggest that the rest of the game needs "fixing". Perhaps squad builds like that simply need some updating.

Just. Stop. Complaining. All this forum is anymore is "waaaah, turrets are OP!"

DEAL WITH IT.

Turrets are a part of the game, like it or not. Can't beat 'em? Join 'em. Absolutely NOTHING is stopping you from playing Rebels.

Captain Lackwit likes this

Turrets, or at least the most problematic ones, tend to be on large ships (well, one is for now, two more coming). I've been thinking about trying the never-used Proximity Mine to create no-fly zones for Phantoms...I wonder if it might be worth dropping in front of a large ship as well.

It's sad that Proximity mine when compared to Seismic charge really comes up short:

It cost 1 more point

It uses your action to deploy

Will more than likely only damage 1 ship

Has a chance of dealing 0 damage, but only a 25% chance of dealing 2 damage.

Has a chance to damage 1 of your own ships

Admittedly poorly deployed Seismic Charges suffer a few of these issues to a lesser extent, but overall the costs outweigh the benefits.

Were the proximity mines not to use your action I could see them getting some more play but as it stands they are just not good enough.

I have been thinking a lot about corned beef lately. I like it almost as much as pastrami but it seems more breakfasty. Corned beef and hash, or cabbage would totally hit the spot about now. Anyone else thinking pancakes?

Not just pancakes. Bacon pancakes!

making_bacon_pancakes_by_x_blackpearl_x-

Edited by Slugrage
Stelar 7, Jisforjets and ObiWonka like this

If turret are a problem then u must be flying all B wings. I fly alot of turrets and iv lost a lot of games with them the only things I find go down fast are 1 agility ships everything thing else can hold there own. 4 X wings can kill any turret list or 2 ints + mini swam works just as well

I'm gonna be more serious this post.

I've found rexler plus mini swarm quickly eats falcons, first round of shooting strips shields next sees rexler putting crits on the falcon and swarm hopefully finishing it off, if your really lucky you'll remove its green die with a crit leaving it a sitting duck for the mini swarm.

Edited by Hobojebus
brutalferret likes this