Sign in to follow this  
Redblock

Y-wing post Wave 4

We can agree Y-wing is not a very popular rebel ship. I sees some play as Ion platform, but that is only way it can get into tournaments. But here comes wave 4, and maybe it does change things.

3 upgrades matter for Y-wing from wave 4 - Flechette torpedoes, R7-T1 and munitions failsafe. 

2 point torpedoes are godsent for Y-wings, as an efficient way to fill those upgrade slots, and improve attack. For same 5 points you spent on Ion turret before you can get 2 torpedoes, and munition failsafe. This can lead to a tottaly diferent playstile, or not :D. R7-T1 also opens new can of worms. If you put it on Dutch you can get two target locks and boost out of same action, how you use that boost is up to you (maybe get out of arc and blast with ion turret, maybe get into range 1 and unleash adv. prot. torps, or just get into range 1 and get extra attack). 

So is Y-wing worthy to carry Thors hammer? (the answer is of course no). Is it worth using in tournament? Only almighty meta knows :D

I would disagree that the Y-wing was unpopular, at least in my area. Not every list had them and a squad built of nothing but Y-wings doesn't tend to do very well. But the ion turret is so good. It is, however, better now with wave 4. Ion + 360 arc seems to be taylor built to kill Phantoms. Throw Hobbie to stress them out and you have two relatively inexpensive ships that can really put some control down.

I remember those Gamecube Rogue Squadron games where Y-Wings could carry proton bombs. Maybe in a future update the Y-wing will get to carry bombs and a crew slot. I think that would be a cool upgrade.

you hipster noob, the N-64 rouge squadron game had y-wings with bombs. lmao. all in good fun of playful banter

I remember those Gamecube Rogue Squadron games where Y-Wings could carry proton bombs. Maybe in a future update the Y-wing will get to carry bombs and a crew slot. I think that would be a cool upgrade.

That would kinda suck. Then it would just be one more thing Rebels get that Imperials don't.

you hipster noob, the N-64 rouge squadron game had y-wings with bombs. lmao. all in good fun of playful banter

Technically you're the hipster bringing up the older one. And the Gamecube one had it as well.

RSII was better.

That would kinda suck. Then it would just be one more thing Rebels get that Imperials don't.

Turrets? Empire just got one. Rebels are hoarding astromechs and Empire are hoarding bombs. That's it for the moment.

Y-wings actually can do a pretty nice combo in Wave 4, as can any ship that has an astromech slot and a torpedo slot (the X-wing and E-wing can do this too, but the Y-wing can do it twice, and the stress bothers it less). R3-A2 and Flechette Torpedoes. Double stress.

It really does make sense that the Y-wing will get both crew and bombs upgrade slots in the next Rebel Aces Release (see below reference).

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/BTL_Y-wing_starfighter

As for giving the Rebels things that us Imperials do not have, that is a part of the game that adds welcomed balance.

I'm waiting for those BTL-S3s to come out man, maybe a torp slot for a crew? Y-wings aren't hated like the advanced. They are the grunts therefore they don't get much attention. As I recall recently, just before I joined, there was a thread about what people wanted to see next, and one of the top rankers was Y-wing ace treatment.

Turrets? Empire just got one. Rebels are hoarding astromechs and Empire are hoarding bombs. That's it for the moment.

Y-wings actually can do a pretty nice combo in Wave 4, as can any ship that has an astromech slot and a torpedo slot (the X-wing and E-wing can do this too, but the Y-wing can do it twice, and the stress bothers it less). R3-A2 and Flechette Torpedoes. Double stress.

Don't forget Imps are the ones with Cloaking.

A Gold or Grey with R3-A2 and an Ion Cannon can be very powerful.

This. Nasty combo. Being stressed and Ioned usually takes a ship out of combat for three turns. It usually ends up pointing the wrong way and can't even action. Then you can't quickly re-join the fight with a K-turn. The Y-wing with a turret doesn't really care about stress either.

I really wish they would have given the Y-wing the crew upgrade instead of the B-wing, which didn't need the help.

Gold + R2D6 + Blaster + Predator

Gold is only PS2, R2-D6 requires PS3+.   That said, upgraded to a Grey with your build is 28ps.  Kinda pricy for a 3 attack, 1 reroll with a spent focus.

(EDIT)  Then again, it *is* a turret.    Hmmm.....

Edited by JohnBoo

It really does make sense that the Y-wing will get both crew and bombs upgrade slots in the next Rebel Aces Release (see below reference).

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/BTL_Y-wing_starfighter

As for giving the Rebels things that us Imperials do not have, that is a part of the game that adds welcomed balance.

As someone who has played a ton of Rogue Squadron I was pretty upset that Y wings don't have bombs, but when I looked at what rebels have that imperials don't I mellowed on it. I definitely would like to see more y wing love.

All of the videogames seem to depict the Y-wing as being a two sweater and a bomber. Usually it is depicted as having about the same abilities as the tie bomber except the tie gets missiles while the Y gets a turret. Honestly I think the main reason we don't see it used much is because it does not really get many unique features to itself. The B-wing for example also gets two torpedo slots and the HWK-290 gets a turret slot. Both if these ships are better than the Y-wing in many areas making them the better choice for using these options.

Edited by Chris R

I figured the turret was the second crew. Otherwise who is aiming that thing?

Maybe a turret upgrade could be to add a crew slot. Like the missile upgrade for the A-Wing giving it a -2 cost. Then you'd essentially be sacrificing your turret operator for a crew member who does something else for you.

All of the videogames seem to depict the Y-wing as being a two sweater and a bomber. Usually it is depicted as having about the same abilities as the tie bomber except the tie gets missiles while the Y gets a turret. Honestly I think the main reason we don't see it used much is because it does not really get many unique features to itself. The B-wing for example also gets two torpedo slots and the HWK-290 gets a turret slot. Both if these ships are better than the Y-wing in many areas making them the better choice for using these options.

Well of course they need sweaters its cold in space, really cold so you wear two and a flight suit thats why porkins looked so big ;)

Back on topic :D Looking at regional result thread i can't find any Y-wings recently, so it needs help.

Check out Plano TX regionals, BBYY took second. Got me interested in getting my Ys out on the field.