Sign in to follow this  
shyguysamurai

Contents of the Tool kit and Slicer Gear

I finally think I have some people to play EotE and AoR with and I'm working on building a few characters. One is a Sullustan Technician Mechanic that I'd like to have also Slice computers. So, on to my questions;

What equipment, if any, is included in the tool kit and slicer gear? I noticed the picture of included items in the tool kit looked like it has a fusion cutter, but I didn't see specifics in the text. 

Also, does one need the tool box and slicer gear to repair using mechanics and hack computers and droids, respectfully? 

Thank you for your insight.

You need a toolkit for Mechanics checks, and a set of Slicer Gear for slicing checks with Computers.  If you didn't have them the 'right tools for the job' mechanic kicks in and an attempt would suffer Setbacks depending on the overall Difficulty.  That's how I run it.  Depending on the situation no tools and I might not even allow an attempt, it would depend on the details of the check.  I might not apply Setbacks for some Computer checks or even Slicing if the details of the check allowed a player unimpeded access to a system on a certain level to begin with.  

What equipment, if any, is included in the tool kit and slicer gear? I noticed the picture of included items in the tool kit looked like it has a fusion cutter, but I didn't see specifics in the text. 

Also, does one need the tool box and slicer gear to repair using mechanics and hack computers and droids, respectfully? 

To the first question, either one of these "items" is basically your own personalized toolset. Slicers might have a number of devices that are all very personalized, or perhaps simply a laptop-style computer with its own hardware and software modifications, and they would use this "slicer gear" to slice into computers. Without this gear, they would have to rely on the interface of the computer or network they're trying to slice into, with which they may or may not be familiar and which would certainly not do them any favors off the bat.

Mechanics, likewise, have a set of tools that they maintain and keep tuned to their own specifications. Without them, they'd have to rely on what they can find around or what other people might have to hand.

I would allow any players when buying these items to write down on their character sheets any specific tools they might want to include—within reason—so that if a particular action requires a specific type of tool or implement, they wouldn't have to spend a Destiny Point, or hard-earned credits, or both, to procure that specific tool.

To the second question, it all depends on the situation at hand. In general, I would say "no, you don't need a toolbox to repair a droid," but I would require that the player in that situation describe what he's using to repair the droid with. The negative dice would depend on the severity of the droid's injuries and the quality of the tools used, if any.

Similarly, the slicer wanting to use a local news net terminal to slice into the spaceport logs, or jury-rig a slicing solution using his buddy's datapad and a salvaged astromech scomp link, is going to have a more difficult time than if he had his own gear to hand.

You need a toolkit for Mechanics checks, and a set of Slicer Gear for slicing checks with Computers.  If you didn't have them the 'right tools for the job' mechanic kicks in and an attempt would suffer Setbacks depending on the overall Difficulty.  That's how I run it.  Depending on the situation no tools and I might not even allow an attempt, it would depend on the details of the check.  I might not apply Setbacks for some Computer checks or even Slicing if the details of the check allowed a player unimpeded access to a system on a certain level to begin with.

The "right tools for the right job" actually is meant to impart a Boost die when you have the right tools, NOT incur a Setback die when you don't have the tools.

But it's all very situational and really depends on the job at hand.

Thank you for the responses, they are very helpful. I like that these items are not "fixed" so your slicer could suddenly pull some random item from her gear at just the right time, for example.

So, with this all said, would you rule that a tool kit could include a fusion cutter which could then be used with it's attack stats or would you require the purchase of the separate fusion cutter item which has the stats attached to it?

Buy it separate if they intend to use it as a weapon but if they are going to use it as a weapon understand it's a tool, not a weapon.  It's improvised, which means it's prone to breaking in combat.  There is a question to the devs as well about whether it is supposed to be used as a melee weapon or a zero range energy weapon like a Lightsaber for the purposes of damage calculation.  I say it's like a Lightsaber and Brawn does not get added to damage.

Thank you for the responses, they are very helpful. I like that these items are not "fixed" so your slicer could suddenly pull some random item from her gear at just the right time, for example.

So, with this all said, would you rule that a tool kit could include a fusion cutter which could then be used with it's attack stats or would you require the purchase of the separate fusion cutter item which has the stats attached to it?

Well a tool kit is intended to provide a bonus in the game (a boost die) for making Mechanics rolls it's not necessarily useful for other things. A tool kit likely does include a fusion cutter and there is no reason that it couldn't have one, however if the PC is planning on using an item from a toolkit for a non-mechanical effect (not just to gain a Boost die) and hasn't specifically written it down to have this effect I'd not allow it. That said there is a way to get a fusion cutter from a tool kit for any type of use and that is the flipping of a Destiny Point, in fact this is precisely what DPs are for.

In the situation you've described, finding a weapon in a tool kit (the fusion cutter), I would follow the general rules for Destiny Points pg 28 Luck and Deus Ex Machina.  The PC would flip a DP and ask that they are able to modify the small fusion cutter in their tool kit to be effective as a weapon and if I believed it was necessary for the furthering of the plot I'd allow it. If no DP is available then they were unable to get the settings right or the battery was too low or whatever and the cutter just isn't going to be effective.

There is of course the Utility Belt Talent that could be used as well.

Edit: You should also read this discussion as it directly pertains to your question (especially the response from FFG on pg 3):

http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/86366-utility-belts-uhm-utility/

Edited by FuriousGreg