Turning an A-Wing into an X-Wing

Something I've been fooling with / irrationally drawn to:

Green Squadron Pilot 19

Expose 4

Push the Limit 3

Hull Upgrade 3

A-Wing Test Pilot 0

Chardaan Refit -2

Same HP as an X-Wing. Better defensive upside on approach (PTL Focus + Evade). X-Wing stats when you hit combat, if you want them (PTL Expose + Focus/TL). Costs six more points than a Rookie, for one better PS, a better dial, and better defense before you start Exposing yourself to the enemy. And yes, I mean for that to sound dirty.

Thoughts? I realize it's sort of pointless. Like, if you want X-Wing stats you can just use the Rookie/Red, right? But it still seems sort of neat to me, as an A-Wing fanboy/apologist.

I have been having some pretty good success with outmaneuver on my A-wing flanker/floater. Been considering trying out expose or opportunist, have you actually flown this in a fight yet? If so how did it perform?

Not a very good idea because it's way too expensive. You actually have a worse dial than an x-wing because you're constantly clearing PTL stress, so compared to an equal-PS x-wing you're paying a ton of points for an engine upgrade (something nobody takes on x-wings) and the ability to go into turtle mode with +1 agility/focus/evade when you don't need to shoot effectively. And since you're so vulnerable to losing your action or taking multiple stress tokens you're not even as consistent as an x-wing. So if there's any advantage it's a small one, and not even close to worth the points.

Plus, as stated, there's the e-wing option. You get a permanent +1 agility instead of just when you're not shooting, and the evade + movement actions. All you lose over the a-wing is some PS that you can gain back if you really want it.

Edited by iPeregrine

Personally I would sub the GSP for Tycho. Other than that, I would probably save the points spent on the hull upgrade for other options. Also if you drop the Hull the points equal RSP + R2 or R5 (24pts)

You can do this with the Z for cheaper...kinda...if you really wanted...

Tala + Concussion + Hull

One point less for 1 more HP and a 2 dice damage bump on the approach equals it out for 2 turns...again...kinda.

I actually like running 2 bandits + concussion + Hull and Jan with another hitter a fun band.  Cheap xwings thems is.

I dunno a-wings are pretty fragile and green dice are fickle it seems a big risk when you have x-wing and b-wings out there.

Me I'd go for outmanouver and come in from behind them, I don't know the maths but it seems to me it'd work better.

Expose is much better against non focused ships and slightly ahead against focused ones. This is taking into account that you are playing a 2 Attack dice ship, so it is not that surprising, but of course, ONLY if you can actually target lock or use focus too.

Edited by DreadStar

I think the main problem here isn't the upgrades you used its more that you're making a ship into something its not. A-wings are not built to work like an X-wing. They are built to fill different roles.

I have been having some pretty good success with outmaneuver on my A-wing flanker/floater. Been considering trying out expose or opportunist, have you actually flown this in a fight yet? If so how did it perform?

I've enjoyed opportunist. It's not hard to build a squad that fires before the a,  thus setting up opportunist. Once aces is out you can do this for 21 points, or for 24 you can add outmanuevre to hit like Wedge. To take it 1 step further, for 5 more points (the price of Wedge) you can have an A that hits like Wedge but with one 6 dice, range 1 attack in the missile tubes.