Sign in to follow this  
Galahad2

New Character Cards; Any special requests?

I recently read a great post on this Forum asking for more female Characters and I realised... I'd love FFG to release a Valkyrie character card!

Is there any specific character you'd love to see in the land of Talisman?

Galahad said:

I recently read a great post on this Forum asking for more female Characters and I realised... I'd love FFG to release a Valkyrie character card!

Is there any specific character you'd love to see in the land of Talisman?

If i read the expert rule book, it seems that there exist a official Valkyrie.

So it is possible that FFG will release that character again for the revised editiongran_risa.gif

I would like to see all the remaining 2nd edition Characters which have not yet been reprinted return, with suitable revisions where needed.  This needn't include the Timescape characters or special City characters (other than Minotaur and Valkyrie).  I hope the next expansion will focus on some of the non-human characters.  My favourite character not yet reprinted:  Sprite.

happy.gif

It seems that we are more talking about existing characters from previous expansions.

In this case...

Here is my wish list again with characters that i want to see a return in Talisman

Top List

1 Vampire

2 Chaos Warrior

3 Chaos Sorcerer

4 Dark Elf

5 Leprechaun

6 Witch Elf

7 Valkyrie

8 Dragon Rider

9 Sprite

10 Barbarian

11 Halfling

12 Satyr

All the replies are wonderful, and I know that the valkyrie was a previous character in the 2nd edition... but the question is really aimed at what Characters people want to see, not necessarily what Characters they want brought back!

A Valkyrie and a Dark Elf or Druagh of some sort would be most welcome! Some more non-human and female Characters as well...

Yeah, I'd like some more female characters, too. A female Dwarf, maybe? gran_risa.gif

I used to love the Leprechaun, and the Sprite was a lot of fun, too. Some of the 2nd edition characters world have fitted right into Warhammer FRPG back then, and I like that setting, so I hope any new characters will follow that theme somehow.

What about having an Orc or Goblin be a character. They've got a troll and a ghoul. Also, what about an Ent type character or Ranger. Yes it is totally LOTR based idea, but then again if it wasnt for Tolkein, would games like D&D, WoW, Talisman exist?

As for some more female characters. Turn some of the Strangers into characters like the Witch, Dryad, Siren, or Succubus. To appease the sexes. They could create male / female character cards for each characer. Same special abilities just different pictures.

This is a potential Ent:

You many not cast spells except command spell  or have objects of any kind, including gold.

Resistant to all spells except fire based and command spell and if he draws an object / gold or wins a battle against on another character may destroy one object / gold.

When in the Cursed Glade , instead of movement, you can root yourself and heal 1 life. Once fully healed you MUST move. 

Always safe in woods/forest/Cursed Glade. 

Axes give +2 attack against you.

Strength 6, Craft  2, Fate 1, Gold 0, Lives 4

Start: Forest.  Alignment: Always Neutral.

To explain how and why the Ent destroys an object. It's big tree that likes what he sees, but he cannot weild it properly because he has really big hands and gets frustrated. So, he eats / breaks it.   OR   Despises the **** of the natural world and is on a personal quest on his way to the CoC to rid the land of all mankind and his materialism.

As for the gold, what use is gold to a tree.  He can't have objects. He can pretty much heal at anytime, and can gain Str rapidly, so things like the Mercenary and Academy aren't that interesting. Yes, Craft and Fate are at a serious disadvantage, but that keeps him balanced with his other abilities.

Ressurect and revise characters from the old game or develop new takes on old special abilities:

Barbarian / Berseker / Highlander: some kind of charge / berseker / multiple attack power

Orc / Goblin / Hobgoblin : some powers over other goblins and wolves

Samurai: Ranged attack

Scout: powers over places

Spy: powers over strangers

Centaur: movement powers

Hobbit: really good evasion / observation / resistance powers

Soldier: powers over military themed cards, free equipment

Leprechaun: movement powers / gold power

Necromancer: powers over spirit cards / take sprits as followers

Ranger: resistances to nature / powers over animals and dragons

Sprite: 2 spells

Saracen / Slaver: enslave followers

Swordsman / Weapon master: disarm / parry

Minotaur: resitances to mazes

Conjurer: discard any spell when casting

Dark Elf: drain life force / strength / craft

Nemomon said:

I would like to see Characters from the Cave. Any single character from it was powered, and with Fate they would be uber now XD

Wich characters are from the cave?

I saw you mention it already in the frost march topic about that it was a special expansion for polish or something?

Velhart said:

Nemomon said:

I would like to see Characters from the Cave. Any single character from it was powered, and with Fate they would be uber now XD

Wich characters are from the cave?

I saw you mention it already in the frost march topic about that it was a special expansion for polish or something?

Yes, Poles had one (practically six, if we will count Magical Sword) additional Talisman games:

1) Jaskinia (for both Magia i Miecz and Magiczny Miecz) www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/28576  and www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/28577

2) Magiczny Miecz (different version of Magia i Miecz, additional Region, 2 needed items &c) www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/28574

3) Labirynt Magów (something related to the Dungeon) www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/28575

4) Gród (something related to the City) www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/28580

5) Krypta Upiorów (whole completely great new expansion (I'm playing it with my 4.5 edition)) www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/28579

6) Magia (only cards, like Dragons, but without any theme) www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/28578

These Characters are:

Kanibal:

Cannibal.jpg

Jasnowidz:

Seer.jpg

Wedrujacy Pustelnik:

WanderingRecluse.jpg

Wampir:

Vampire.jpg

Morlok:

Morlok.jpg

Monarcha: (Before entering the Cave he can choose any one weapon (from anywhere, not only Purchase deck))

Monarch.jpg

Demon Zla: (he can ignore Enemy Spirits, not Ghosts)

EvilDemon.jpg

Wojownik z Zaswiatów:

Einheri.jpg

However, like I've said in that Frostmarch topic, if You are interested in looking at Polish old edition, You can download translated version of most of cards from Sam's Page: talisman.clift.org/sam/ --> Second Edition --> Expansions --> Polish 2nd Edition.

The  artwork covers are very cool.

It remind me of the artwork cover box of third edition

There is a lot more than i thought...

But i don't like  some art of those boards.

I know it's old, but i am already happy with the art of the boards from third edition..

Anyway.. i think i will not play it anymore, or at least for a while because 4th edition seems to defeat 3th edition if FFG will go on with making the awesome expansionsgran_risa.gif

But for that time... i am sure that second edition was very popular.

It's amazing that they made so many expansions.

And i thought there where only 6? for second edition..(without base game..)

Velhart said:

I know it's old, but i am already happy with the art of the boards from third edition..

Anyway.. i think i will not play it anymore, or at least for a while because 4th edition seems to defeat 3th edition if FFG will go on with making the awesome expansionsgran_risa.gif

Maybe because You didn't played 2nd Edition, You think its images are better. Same as me, I only played MiM, not Talisman, so I don't like its images. In fact, 2nd Edition was soo popular, that's why BI based 4th Edition on it, instead of making completely new edition (or rather a board).

And yes, Talisman had 7 expansions:

1) Talisman 1st Edition / Talisman 2nd Edition

2) Talisman Expansion Set

3) Talisman The Adventure

4) Talisman Dungeon

5) Talisman Timescape

6) Talisman City

7) Talisman Dragons

Polish edition were little different, 1st/2nd Edition were additionally with Talisman Expansion Set, and Dungeon (Podziemia) were with Talisman the Adventure. Additionally we had W Kosmicznej Otchlani (Timescape), Miasto (City), Jaskinia (Cave) and Smoki (Dragons). When our publisher - B.P.I.R.F. Sfera - lost license for Talisman, instead of Magia i Miecz (Magic and Sword) they made Magiczny Miecz (Magical Sword). Most of its expansions were more or less related to original ones (of course they had enough differences), and completely new and very hard expasnion - Krypta Upiorów (Haunted Crypt). Then Sfera released Special Edition of Magical Sword (only base game, without expansions), then they "died" (not really, they're still exist but they don't wont to remember their Games period).

Nemomon said:

Velhart said:

Maybe because You didn't played 2nd Edition, You think its images are better. Same as me, I only played MiM, not Talisman, so I don't like its images. In fact, 2nd Edition was soo popular, that's why BI based 4th Edition on it, instead of making completely new edition (or rather a board).

And yes, Talisman had 7 expansions:

1) Talisman 1st Edition / Talisman 2nd Edition

2) Talisman Expansion Set

3) Talisman The Adventure

4) Talisman Dungeon

5) Talisman Timescape

6) Talisman City

7) Talisman Dragons

Polish edition were little different, 1st/2nd Edition were additionally with Talisman Expansion Set, and Dungeon (Podziemia) were with Talisman the Adventure. Additionally we had W Kosmicznej Otchlani (Timescape), Miasto (City), Jaskinia (Cave) and Smoki (Dragons). When our publisher - B.P.I.R.F. Sfera - lost license for Talisman, instead of Magia i Miecz (Magic and Sword) they made Magiczny Miecz (Magical Sword). Most of its expansions were more or less related to original ones (of course they had enough differences), and completely new and very hard expasnion - Krypta Upiorów (Haunted Crypt). Then Sfera released Special Edition of Magical Sword (only base game, without expansions), then they "died" (not really, they're still exist but they don't wont to remember their Games period).

oke, so there are 2 different versions.

The version we know(talisman 2th edition ( but has a other name in polish ( called Magic and sword( in english text)

and there is the magical sword version? The one that is different from the original talisman boards..( the ones that i saw at boardgamegeek..

I hope i understand now.

I only knew the 6 expansions + 2th edition game 

Overall, the Cave could have been an interesting notion, though it wasn't. I remember seeing it long ago in translation and then again more recently.

The characters appear overgunned from the start compared to those produced specifically for Talisman, but likely that has to do with the Cave as a whole when played solo. It has even more automatic influences on the average that many Talisman decks, and the reward for getting through it as a Talisman expansion is paltry for the price. You might get a Crystal that improves the Command Spell by 1 point of success, though to get it you will likely

• pay out all the gold you have (maybe some Objects and Followers as well), and
  • fight  Craft and Strength combats that could reduce you're Strength and Craft instead of Lives (hence why its characters are overgunned) versus enemies that equal ones found in Talisman's alternative endings.

Very imbalanced and not recommended as it stands. But... it does give one notions for adaption... perhaps in conjunction with Talisman's standard Cave card as an "entrance" that pops up... like the dungeon door of the old days.

Hmm.. since topic became little about the Cave.. Characters from it were  very imbalanced, maybe except Morlok. Jasnowidz (Seer) was the best Character ever, with his ability to draw minimum 3 cards and choose one to encounter, he was almost almighty. As JCHendee said, target of the Cave was Magiczny Krysztal (Magical Crystal). Character could have it, if his S and C was higher than 4 (later, in the Cave from Magical Sword that was changed to "sum of C (Magia in MS) and S (Miecz in MS) higher than 8"). We also were able to ignore all Inner Region spaces and as J.C.H. said - we were casting Command Spell at 2-6 (Magical Crystal from MS didn't had that ability). To get it, we were forced to find a Chamber with it (roll 2 dice, and depends of our total C, if it was 8 - we found it if at 2 dice we got 10, 11 or 12 ; if it was higher than 8 - we found it if at 2 dice we got over than 6).. If we fail, we lost 1 point of C. Then we were forced to finish three tests:

1) Battle against Beast with S = 10. If we lost, instead of losing 1 Life, we were losing 1 S. We were fighting until our S was equal to starting quota.

2) Battle against Wraith with C = 8. If we lost, instead of losing 1 Life, we were losing 1 C, and C of Wraith was increased by that point. We were fighting until our C was equal to starting quota.

3) Player was rolling 3 dice, and were forced to pay using gold, Followers and Objects rolled sum.

Magiczny Krysztal:

skanuj0057.jpg

From other good cards from the Cave deck, I could say something about Gandalf - we were immune to all Spells (except of Command Spell) we wish (not mandatory then). Also Magical Crossbow - it was giving +1 do S, and every time we won a combat using only it and our S, every killed Enemy was giving us additional 1 S point. Rest Cave cards were very dangerous, and possibility to die in it was very, very high (even for advanced character).

The Cave expansion introduced also some very dangerous cards for base game (Hydra: S = 7, every time it won, it takes 2 life and adds to itself), some great cards like Legionista (unfortunately Sam translated it very bad, and wrong) - he's giving us possibility to win every combat (but not psychic combat) with enemies, characters and creatures, but not Enemies - Monster.

Some for Dungeon (also additional Adventure cards were related to Dungeon as well), and some Spells, including two the BEST EVER spells:  Przeistoczenie (Metamorphosis) (practically target Character is dead and must choose new one, literally must choose new one and discard allFollowers, Objects and gold), and Weryfikacja (Verification) - instead of rolling a die, we can say the number player roll on it.

If You are interested in looking translated by Sam cards from it, I have uploaded them there: www.sendspace.com/file/o9u9ju

Nemomon:

I have take a look at it, and the cards are looking good.

I have seen the cards like metamorphosis, medusa etc

They are very dangerous.

The difficulty is very high...

Even if it is colorless, the art is very serious as if it is coming from a book..

thanks for the info and for your time to let me see a peek of the polish editions..