Sign in to follow this  
MNwild

I suck at X-wing.

How long did it take you to get good, or at least decent at x-wing?

I've played about 20 games and had 1 win. I'm not a math wizard by any means, but I think that qualifies for "sucking" at something. 

I'm trying not to get discouraged, but it's not fun to lose all the time. I do love playing though!

I'm pretty sure the main problem I have is my inability to find a list I like and stick to it. I have a tendency to fly a list, learn something, change the list to hopefully counter what I had a hard time with, fly that, run into a different problem, and keep changing things. I think I've only flown the same thing 2-3 times. Theres just so many different options! Even if I fly a list that beat me, I can't win with it!

Is it just inexperience, or is it possible that I'll always be terrible at x-wing? Is flying a list over, and over, and over, and over the key to being good at it?

Edited by MNwild

I don't know man. One tip I've always used for myself that tends to work out is to use cards that have the ship I'm using on them or match the character.

I mean Luke with R2 is pretty great. So is Kyle with a blaster turret.

But hey, suck at the game or not, you have some freakin' cool ass models to mess with! That's good in and of itself!

As they say, you can take the world champions list and lose with it.

You may be changing too often. You don't know what works and what doesn't work after the change, and some of it has to do with your opponents lists changing as well. Find something you LIKE to fly, and game it 3-4 times before changing. Then you can learn and adapt to FLYING your list properly, then take the math-hammer to it and change it slightly.

Something else to try. Learn what the other team can do. By that I mean try Rebel and imp just so you get a good feel for how each side works.

I found I liked Rebels more but by play imp every now and then I learnt what they can do.

There are definitely skills involved in X-wing, and some people start off better than others. My brother, for instance, is blessed with excellent intuitive spatial reasoning, plus a good head for tactics and a killer instinct. He picked the game up with no problems whatsoever.

I, on the other hand, was more interested in strategy and patterns of behavior (rather than spatial patterns), so it took me a while to get the hang of maneuvering--in fact, if you're 1-19 I'm pretty sure you're actually doing better than I managed in my first 20 games.

It gets easier.

Is it just inexperience, or is it possible that I'll always be terrible at x-wing? Is flying a list over, and over, and over, and over the key to being good at it?

Well picking a list and sticking with it for a bit isn't going to hurt. But it's also not like you have to master a given list before you can move on to something else.

It sounds like maybe you think of each ship as an individual playing piece rather then part of a unit, that might be part of your problem.

Biggest question I think is, why are you losing? Are the other people stopping you from shooting at them? Are they picking you apart one ship at a time? Are you spending too many points on upgrades? Are you not being effective in your chose of actions?

Figuring out why you're losing can go a long ways to helping you win.

When I first started gaming, I didn't win a single game for six months. I'm still here thirteen years later, having learned from each loss.

My suggestion? Vary your moves. Try a different deployment, try a new style of play or flight. Little things end up clicking and something might work.

"Do or do not. There is no try."

Honestly, I feel for you.  In casual games with my buddies, I do quite well, with a much higher percentage of wins to losses.  Put me in a tournament though...

I try and find a list that's fun for me.  The winning comes later.  I started off playing Rebels exclusively, mostly because my friend said he had dibs on the Imperials, and I said I'd buy the Rebels to maximise our initial fleets.  Then I started buying Imperials to flesh out my lists (just HAD to get the Lambda to get that first Advanced Sensors card to use with my B-wing!)  Then I bought more, then I started playing the Imperials.  Now, I find that I really enjoy the Imperials far more than the Rebels.  I do bounce back and forth though.  But, in doing all of this, I've found that I've flown everything.  And in flying everything, I've gotten to know how my ships move, and what ships combo well with what upgrades.  That has started me devising new and different strategies.

Now that I have some strategies with the various ships, I can easily bounce back and forth, and my win/loss percentage has equalized somewhat in tournaments.

You really just need to keep at it.  Find a list you can fly comfortably, then tweak it (or part of it) adding or subtracting from it until it becomes your go-to list.  The wins will come.  Once they come, you'll want to change lists to try out different things.  That's when the real fun begins.

I'm really bad at picking a strategy at deployment and settling on it. Especially when I'm using low PS pilots and have to deploy first and pick my engagement zones proactively rather than reactively. I shy away from jousting and aggressively hitting head-on, even when it's to my advantage to do so, and several times I've been caught trying to move up the board and flank/turn with everything for a perfect first engagement. Ships just don't have the speed to do it, and I give the 4/5 forwards too much credit mentally.

I'm also bad at sequencing/visualizing the final positions of ships according to Pilot Skill.

Still only at around ~10 games played, but I've identified these as the issues I need to work on.

Some of the best tips/knowledge I received and now give:

1)  Ships can't escape their own arc.  So if you do nothing else, fly to where your opponent's ship just was and you'll likely have a shot. (not so true anymore, but still works most of the time)

2)  Concentrate fire.  Start your ships together, fly your ships together, and fire at the same target.

3)  Attack Dice are better than defense dice.  So value the former over the latter when picking ships.

4)  More ships is generally better than less upgraded ships (again, not as true anymore, but still generally good advice)

5)  When in doubt, focus.

6)  Useful measurements - Range 1 is 2.5 small ship bases (or 2.5 movement).  Range 2 is 5 small ship bases.  Range 3 is 7.5.  The whole board is about 23 ship bases across.

7)  During placement, grouping your ships in a corner is a pretty good default option.

8)  During placement, place high PS pilots behind low PS pilots so they don't bump.

Why am I losing? 

I have no idea. I think it's a combination of bad flying, a lack of tactical understanding, poor upgrade management (Like forgeting to use a cards ability, or misunderstanding it's abilities.), and poor movement "pre-measurement" (Like thinking a 4K is longer or shorter than it is, putting my defender in front of the x-wings instead of behind them.) 

I started off flying mainly Rebels. I then switched over to the dark side for a while and absolutely hated it. I'm now back to Rebels. 

The one win I did get was with Corran, R2-D2, B with HLC and 2 Z95's. I like the B-wings. I like the E-wings, I like Roark's ability....

I have a hard time landing hits on a Chewie with 3PO. The local meta is pretty "anti-phantom" falcon/dual falcon heavy, which is funny because there are more anti-phantom lists than actual phantoms. It seems like no matter what I throw up against a falcon, I can't get anything to stick.

Why am I losing? 

I have no idea. I think it's a combination of bad flying, a lack of tactical understanding, poor upgrade management (Like forgeting to use a cards ability, or misunderstanding it's abilities.), and poor movement "pre-measurement" (Like thinking a 4K is longer or shorter than it is, putting my defender in front of the x-wings instead of behind them.) 

I started off flying mainly Rebels. I then switched over to the dark side for a while and absolutely hated it. I'm now back to Rebels. 

The one win I did get was with Corran, R2-D2, B with HLC and 2 Z95's. I like the B-wings. I like the E-wings, I like Roark's ability....

I have a hard time landing hits on a Chewie with 3PO. The local meta is pretty "anti-phantom" falcon/dual falcon heavy, which is funny because there are more anti-phantom lists than actual phantoms. It seems like no matter what I throw up against a falcon, I can't get anything to stick.

The falcon thing isn't just you.

Well,

Remember that it's not just you or your list that might be at fault. Your opponents have a role in this too.

It might be that they're just too good for you right now. Are they more experienced? Do you have the option of playing against some less experienced opponents?

For the time being, you might also want to try your hand at lists that are more forgiving on novice players. Get a YT-1300 with some Y-Wings that have turrets. They'll take the edge off the poor maneuvering skills that you probably have at this stage.

And, yes, don't take upgrade cards that require you to remember stuff at this stage. You probably still have to get the habits of actions onto the back part of your brain.

Edited by Mikael Hasselstein

poor upgrade management (Like forgeting to use a cards ability, or misunderstanding it's abilities.)

This one is fairly easy :) Limit the number of upgrades you're using. That should help you both keep track of what you do have, and how to use them effectively.

Also consider your upgrades and how you will get the best use of them. These are things you can do even if you don't have your ships out.

and poor movement "pre-measurement"

This is only something you learn from practice, although some are better at it. This is something you can work on any time. Put the asteroids on a table and fly though them, go back and forth on different paths. You'll start to become better at judging how far a 4 straight or 3 bank will take you. For people who haven't played many miniature games this isn't a skill you've likely developed, so just practice a bit and you'll get better at it.

The one win I did get was with Corran, R2-D2, B with HLC and 2 Z95's.

Looks like a solid list, I'd stick with that one a bit until you get more comfortable with the game.

I have a hard time landing hits on a Chewie with 3PO.

Everyone has trouble with landing hits on him :) That's a very solid core of a list, and if that's what you're having trouble betting, I'd say you're likely better then you think are, but are just playing against some really good lists by people who know how to fly them.

Maybe ask them to play something else? If they're just playing for fun they might be willing to switch it up and maybe you'll find you do better.

1 - Hang in there

2 - are you taking focus or Target Locks and aiming alot of your ships at the same target?  Getting to change results is HUGE and will bring you closer to a win. 

3 - sometimes your dice will hate you for no reason

4 - sometimes your dice want to show you they can Hit hard

5 - if you are forgetting effects of pilots, try and bring just 1 and work your way up.  I know the current meta is frowning more and more on no name pilots, but its a solid way to learn your ships and moves

6 - a loss is never really a "loss"  you should learn something in each defeat, especially from "better" players.

Imps are unforgiving, not saying they are not fun, but they are mostly glass cannons.  Rebs let you have a little wiggle room.

I just recently starting to go Imps again.  They can be fun to fly.

Based on what you like, here's a simple list that could be fun:

Etahn Ewing - 32

Roark HWK + Ion - 24

Blue Bwings X 2 - 44

Total - 100

It almost sounds like you might be playing against someone with a lot more experience? Maybe try finding a opponent that is closer to your experience level.

One thing I do is try to visualize where the pieces will go and in what order they will move. It's not pre-measuring because I don't hold up a movement template, but I do look at the movement template and then back at my ship/where it will go.

Another tip that helped me was using a squadron builder. It helps me finds good combos and patterns in the cards. Try this one: http://xwing-builder.co.uk/build#

Good luck

I disagree, your opponents being "too good" for you isn't a bad thing, is a blessing. Take advantadge of it and ask them questions. Anyways, the first step and the most important one is STICK TO ONE LIST.

I started the game with a friend a bit more than a month ago. I tested a few lists to find out what i thought would be more fun, and then chose to play one. I played it and only it for 2 weeks (around 20 games probably). I ended up at the same level of the guys on the store, ending 3th place on the tournament the next week afterwards. My friend didn't stick to any list, anytime he would play a match, he would play his last list, if it lost, he changed it, if it won, he continued to play it... sometimes. We are on a point where i "rocketeed" and the difference on game knowledge between both is pretty vast, that i have to secretly handicap myself when playing with him. Kind of a **** move, but he is the kind of guy who gets quite frustrated.

I had told him to stick to one list, but he just can't do it, probably because it gets out the fun for him, but if you want to learn, you are not going to learn much about the game or list building if you are just throwing stuff to the wall to see if it sticks .

Just keep at it man, you will eventually get it. Some people are faster than others, but the important thing is to have the right mindset. Do you want to improve ? Learn the basics first. List building comes natural when you already know how to play, so don't worry too much about that aspect of the game.

Edited by DreadStar

It almost sounds like you might be playing against someone with a lot more experience? Maybe try finding a opponent that is closer to your experience level.

This is not exactly a bad thing though. The guys I most often play with were several levels above me when I started playing a lot, around the time of the first Kessel Run preview events. I lost a lot. But now because of what I was able to learn from those guys, I think it's safe to consider myself an above average player. Of course it helps that after some tough losses, they would also tell me what they think i could've done better. And they did help me with list construction, especially for competitive events. If those more experienced guys are those kinds of players, I would tell you to play them as much as you can.

This is not to say that you shouldn't find someone that is closer to your experience level. You should do that as well by all means. It's also no fun to lose all the time.

Above all, just keep getting games in. 20 games isn't a whole lot in the grand scheme of things. You'll find yourself getting better the more you play. Even if you don't notice it.

And that might be one of the other problems. I'll sit here at nights and just build list after list. I must have thirty lists built. I sit and think of what ability might enhance this card or what ships might pair well with this upgrade and how that might work with this and... it's all for nothing because I never win with any of them!

About playing better people, yes. They are better. Most of them are much better. It doesn't help that I'm right in FFG's back yard. Not like proximity to the company has much to do with it, but I believe the game is fairly popular here, and there are quite a few insiders and play testers around the community. 

A good option to get better is to go to a tournament that will have a minimum of 4 rounds.  This will have you flying the same squad at least 4 times.  Also, if you lose, you will always be paired up with other people who also lost.  If you lose your first 3 games, then your 4th game will be against someone else who is 0-3.  This can be a bit disheartening if you are the only player to go 0-4, but if you are having problems finding players at your skill level, then this is a good way to find them.