Sign in to follow this  
ArcaneSpringbrd

Capital Ship game?

With all this talk about Imperial big ships, I wonder if what we might see at GenCon instead is a capital ship version of the game. Not necessarily the exact same game (which is dogfighting) but more of a naval combat IN SPACE game involving multiple Star Destroyers, Nebulon B cruisers, and the like.

Kind of like Star Trek Attack Wing but to scale?  :P

Honestly, I wouldn't mind TOO much about something like this where a star destroyer is the size of a millennium falcon... But I just can't see it working out well. Maybe once X-Wing is wrapped up, its a possibility, but the two would play too similarly and call from the same players that they would via too much for the same attention. I'd probably buy the miniatures, but I'd choose one or the other to play, not both.

What I'd like to see, is a capital ship game that is separate from X-Wing, yet compatible with it.   

You could have Star Destroyers about the size of the rebel transport, and frigates and what-not could be smaller still.   Super Star Destroyer could be a little bigger than the Tantive.  

Very slow movement, but it could have you deploying squadrons of fighters and stuff.  

I would love to see a capital ship game, but not like Attack Wing. I would like to see a capital ship dedicated rule set. I don't feel that Attack Wing works precisely BECAUSE the mechanics feel too much like a dog fighting game.

Capital ships need broadsides, momentum, and a heavier focus on actions. It's just a whole different ball game.

Same for the theoretical ground combat game that gets suggested on here occasionally. Ground troops need a whole different movement and action system.

X-Wing works so well because the system was designed around a WWI/II style dogfight, which is exactly how Star Wars fighters work. In order to pull off a similar success for ground or capital ship combat, you would want an equally targetted game, not just a thin coat of paint over a dogfighting rule set.

Much like titans in 40k though... at some point it become just two huge models slugging it out and the best dice rolls win; strategy takes a back seat to a certain extent. I like the idea of epic as long as it includes the smaller fighters as well.

OP is talking about a different game entirely, not just bigger ships in X-Wing.

Titans worked just fine in Epic 40k (which is a totally different game than 40k, whereas Apocalypse 40k is just bringing more and giant models to a regular 40k game), because it was scaled to them. Apocalypse stresses the system to the breaking point (which I think ships larger than the Tantive IV would do to X-Wing), whereas Epic made a rule set catered to them.

The latter is what I would like to see. A new game, with new rules, with mini's representing flights of fighters instead of individual ones.

Much like titans in 40k though... at some point it become just two huge models slugging it out and the best dice rolls win; strategy takes a back seat to a certain extent. I like the idea of epic as long as it includes the smaller fighters as well.

I agree 100% buddie! The little fighters and bombers should be in the game. I am doing this type of Epic Galactic War gaming in the near future with the wonderful Space Battleship Yamato 2199 Models. They come with the super cool in scale fighters and fighter-bombers.

:wub:

LAMBEA+BTSI.jpg

If Bandai can do this then certainly our BAMF FFG Boys can do the same for Glorious STAR WARS!

:D

I 200% support a capital ship game. The models however, if things are to be to scale, WILL be larger than we expect. You think the Tantive IV is big on your board? A Star Destroyer will be an enormous unit if you have it to scale with smaller things like corvettes, frigates, and cruisers.

There are, fortunately, TONS of capital ships in the Star Wars Universe. I imagine a starter set would come with CR-90s and Gozantis, and it'd scale up from there. Seeing the likes of Acclamators, Victories, Nebulons, Dreadnoughts, Assault Cruisers, Strike Cruisers, MC-40s, and finally, MC-80s and Star Destroyers.

They couldn't make the ships a uniform scale. It would have to be a sliding scale. Which would be fine as long as it was a CONSISTANT sliding scale. Attack wings problem isn't that the scale us variable, it is that the scale is RANDOMLY variable. Two ships that are supposed to be the same size can be very different sizes on the table and vice-versa.

Personally, I picture the cr-90 as about the size of an a-wing and an imperial SD the size of the decimator. That leaves room for a SSD around Tantive size. Fighters would be on tiny 20mm bases with 3 little models on them, and x-wing large ships on the same tiny base but with just one model.

I would kill for a capital version of this game.

I know a few others that would go mad for it too.

My only problem with it (and it's a big one) is that it would pull market share and potentially FFG resources away from X-wing. Or, at least, I can't afford to do both--either time-wise or budget-wise.

Edited by Vorpal Sword

I 200% support a capital ship game. The models however, if things are to be to scale, WILL be larger than we expect. You think the Tantive IV is big on your board? A Star Destroyer will be an enormous unit if you have it to scale with smaller things like corvettes, frigates, and cruisers.

There are, fortunately, TONS of capital ships in the Star Wars Universe. I imagine a starter set would come with CR-90s and Gozantis, and it'd scale up from there. Seeing the likes of Acclamators, Victories, Nebulons, Dreadnoughts, Assault Cruisers, Strike Cruisers, MC-40s, and finally, MC-80s and Star Destroyers.

I don't know. Battlefleet Gothic did a consistent scale, and it had very similar scales to deal with. The big ships were pretty darn big (5 inches or more) and the small ships were pretty darn small (I have a few that are 1/4 inch). You would probably have a sliding scale for massive ships like the Executer, but I think for Star Destroyers and down you could have a consistent scale.

Make Star Destroyers large ship size, and Nebulon B frigates around small ship size. Fighter squadrons could either use tokens, or those multi-ship models like Epic used to use (3-5 tiny models on a single base). That would have the benefit of allowing you to swarm fighters, because they would be dirt cheap.

Would be SWEET!

I am 500% for a capital ship game. I would love to be able to blast Rebel Scum into oblivion with a star destroyer (evil emperor laugh).

"That's the beauty of the alphabet, it gives you twenty-six plans to choose from..."-Fi Skirata

Edited by tiefanatic

I agree 100% buddie! The little fighters and bombers should be in the game. I am doing this type of Epic Galactic War gaming in the near future with the wonderful Space Battleship Yamato 2199 Models. They come with the super cool in scale fighters and fighter-bombers.

LAMBEA+BTSI.jpg

If Bandai can do this then certainly our BAMF FFG Boys can do the same for Glorious STAR WARSe!

Man I love Yamato.

What an excellent anime. Or Star Blazers as it was called in the 80s in North America

LAMBEA+BTSI.jpg

If Bandai can do this then certainly our BAMF FFG Boys can do the same for Glorious STAR WARSe!

Man I love Yamato.

What an excellent anime. Or Star Blazers as it was called in the 80s in North America

You ain't alone Brother Winger!

:lol:

For me the cool of cool Sci-Fi goes like this:

STAR WARS, STAR BLAZERS, STAR TREK.

Now of course I like a lot of other worlds like Battlestar Galactica, Flash Gordon, Doctor Who, Lost in Space and so on. But the BIG Three that I came to know first as a child are my most loved. Now that I am a big kid with $$$ I can collect them and game them...

cool like.

After all of the new super-duper X-Wing Epic goodies are out I am going to drop several hundred back on STAR BLAZERS!

:lol:

As for my BIG STAW I almost have that one done buying wise.

Oops... gamer nerd rant over. But yeah bring that STAR WARS Galaxy At War game on FFG!

Bring that bad-boy on!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Just picked up the Earth fleet set number 1 and the Garmillas fleet 2 as well as the High speed carrier, And am pleased to see that according to my admittedly rough calculations the latest Hasegawa Arcadia will fit in the scale of the Yamato ships. At least aesthetically. Though on a Star Wars note this would be an expensive scale, or at least size, range to play and  a 1/500 ISD might be a bit impractical