Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gorrath

Is this game worth starting now?

49 posts in this topic

Having been the victim of many a Sleuth rush I'm well aware. A bad draw or a bad decision during the Edge battle and you're dust.

Also, that turn 2-4 wins existed before the (super) broken combo came out doesn't really make the game more enticing, for us, or for the new players we tried to get into the LCG. It killed the game off like nothing I've ever seen before it could gain a following.

The art and base mechanics are ace.

But combos like that are a true sign of bad game design - particularly when you're pushing your game as a thematic game, imho.

Not hating on it, I am sharing our experience with it and you guys obviously still like it and feel differently.

Power to you, it didn't do it for us however.

Edited by Keffisch
admat likes this

Wow I wish I had read this thread before I spent $200 on the game. I'll enjoy it causally then for a bit.

Don't pay too much attention to all of the complaining on the internet. I personally had more fun at nationals this year than any other tournament and think the game is currently in a very fun place.

Wow I wish I had read this thread before I spent $200 on the game. I'll enjoy it causally then for a bit.

Don't pay too much attention to all of the complaining on the internet. I personally had more fun at nationals this year than any other tournament and think the game is currently in a very fun place.

I agree with your statement dbmeboy.  While the meta continues to change it is making it to where we can see some interesting decks out there and it is a great time to play, I know I enjoy every game, win-lose, casual - competitive.. all of it great fun!

Edited by ImperialBucketHead
GroggyGolem likes this

Yes, the game is still a lot of fun and becoming more interesting as new decks emerge. Navy, for example, has been looking strong lately and spoilers point the way to some bonkers-looking Navy TIE decks soon. Jedi Gamor had been dominant, but around here they're not anymore as everyone's figured out counters like the Sith/Scum decks you see around. Sleuths haven't been that good in a while and are pretty much terrible against these. Rebel speeder decks are still a lot of fun and can do well. What's been really strong lately are pure Jedi decks with a heavy emphasis on shielding using A Deep Commitment and, sometimes, a splash of ewoks.

Anyway, you're going to see a lot of whining about card balance much like the current whining about Netrunner and Near Earth Hub. Whatever. Neither game is perfect, but I still play them a lot and this game, in particular, is still one of my favorites.

admat likes this

Game is a lot of fun. There's been broken combos with every release of new content.

To me, the fun is designing decks on the fly with the objective system.. I love being able to just say "I want to build a thematic creature deck, let's just throw in all the objectives with creatures in it and see how it plays".

I have not paid attention to competitive meta at all, I personally think that LCG system meta is usually silver-bullet-ish anyhow. All the LCGs will experience that issue...

admat likes this

I've played CCG's/LCG's for a VERY long time and I personally see about as many different viable decks in the competitive arena in this game as I have seen in other, far more popular games.  If anyone can show me a card game in which the top tier meta decks don't simply look like rock, paper, scissors, then I'd love to play that game.  Until the next expansion comes out and ruins it ;)

agedsuperdave likes this

Yep, that Navy deck's for real. I played 2 games with it tonight. Lost one game when I was a turn away from taking the game and won the other pretty easily. With some of the new Navy cards that have been spoiled I predict that they're going to become the DS faction to play. And then people can whine about that.  :)

GroggyGolem likes this

Yep, that Navy deck's for real. I played 2 games with it tonight. Lost one game when I was a turn away from taking the game and won the other pretty easily. With some of the new Navy cards that have been spoiled I predict that they're going to become the DS faction to play. And then people can whine about that.  :)

I've always liked Navy for DS. It just feels awesome ignoring defence and rushing for Objectives. :D

My favorite deck in core set and early hoth packs was Imperial vehicle/navy. Kuat Reinforcements and also that one repair one...so good.

Death Squadron Star Destroyers are the best. :D :D :D :D :D 

Hi! First post here.

After reading this thread, I saw this article by Flip the Force.

http://fliptheforce.com/articles.php?rid=123

Good read on the different LS type decks and the possible DS counters.

One of their decks was the "Force Beater", that had very good chances against Force Lock.

They tried other things that were more consistent against other builds (because there is more

than one LS build, you know), but finally, keeping is Force Beater would have been the best idea.

I really like this attitude of experimentation to find new ways to play the game, particularly coming from a guy in the US top 16.

In fact, the deck-building aspect of this game should go this way, and I believe this game has enough material to do this.

To the question "It this game worth starting now?", if you're talking about meta, the answer depends. If people keep on using the seductive pods for a simple and efficient win (read : the dark side :P), the meta might stay stagnant. But if you're willing to try to be creative, you can be a part of the solution.

I admit the pod system makes it easy to go for "the best pods" and FFG is not entirely innocent in this, but if you bought the game because many design elements pleased you, there is still a lot of fun to be had (in the current state and in the future).

GroggyGolem likes this

...but if you bought the game because many design elements pleased you, there is still a lot of fun to be had (in the current state and in the future).

Wow, I love this line. It's a very good reminder of why we (or I, at least) play this game. I mean, sure, Star Wars is a big part of it, but there are so many ways to enjoy Star Wars games these days and the design of the game play for Star Wars: The Card Game is very pleasing.

Edited by Budgernaut
HugeFlower and Thanatopsis like this

So my two cents to add to this discussion.  

So I think the pod system is a really cool, and a great way to play a CGC/LCG without being a deck builder person.  My wife really likes it, the only deck limits she had to worry about is the objective limits.  She grabs the five cards with the objective x 10, and boom there is her deck.    

But there is another side to this pod system, and this is the lack of variety in decks.  In high-end events for any game you have the people who are min/maxing everything they play.  But normally you have a little variety within those deck.  For example in Netrunner there are times where it feels like everyone is playing NBN, but there are still variations of the same deck type.  Different cards people add here and there to fit their play style better.  Times where you go "wow I didn't see that card coming".

In SW LCG you just don't have enough of that.  If everyone brings the 10 best DS objectives everyone else will have the same deck.  This is where the "OMG PEOPLE ONLY PLAY X=META DECK" deck is coming from.

I'm more then likely wrong.  I just think if they removed the pod system, still had resource matching, and had a 2-4 of each card limit.  It would open up so many more option and variations.  

I just think if they removed the pod system, still had resource matching, and had a 2-4 of each card limit.  It would open up so many more option and variations.  

That would most certainly make the game horrendous. The game has been designed with the Objective Set system in mind, if one removes that and makes the only restriction to deckbuilding be "2-4 copies of cards" then it would be 2-4 copies of what is considered the best cards. Sure, there would be a variety of options but the people who only play what is considered to be the strongest deck will just do the same in that format. Imagine, 4 Jedi mind tricks and 4 Rebel Assaults in a deck where you don't have to run the Objective Sets or the cards that go with them.

TL;DR That would make things worse.

Toqtamish likes this

In SW LCG you just don't have enough of that.  If everyone brings the 10 best DS objectives everyone else will have the same deck.  This is where the "OMG PEOPLE ONLY PLAY X=META DECK" deck is coming from.

I actually have the opposite experience with SWLCG.  While everyone may be playing the same core 6-8 objective sets, those last 2-4 sets that vary between decks mean that a large portion of the deck ends up being different.

The objective set system does prevent the "I didn't see that one coming" effect a different way though.  If you know the objective sets well enough you'll likely see a card from the surprise set in a discard or edge battle in time to not be caught off guard at an inopportune moment.  I personally see this as a good thing as it's another point where skill/knowledge gives you an advantage.

This game has some fun factor, but there are better card games out there IMO. The biggest strike against it is the lazy pod "the designers build the decks" aspect. I realize some people don't like deck construction, but that's why God created board games.

Too little too late, the mistakes completely killed the game for me and for those I play with casually.

If you played casually why did you and your friends bother with metagaming? I can understand wanting to try out something like Dash/Freeholders once for fun if you have never used it. Why, though, would anyone continue to use the meta decks in casual play? Casual is just for fun.

This is a common misconception. "Casual" and "competitive" aren't mutually exclusive. Every game played is competitive. The only thing that's different between casual and tournament is the reward for winning.

This game has some fun factor, but there are better card games out there IMO. The biggest strike against it is the lazy pod "the designers build the decks" aspect. I realize some people don't like deck construction, but that's why God created board games.

It's just a different type of deck construction, definitely original, which I enjoy. 

But, I certainly understand why it's not for everyone.

Too little too late, the mistakes completely killed the game for me and for those I play with casually.

If you played casually why did you and your friends bother with metagaming? I can understand wanting to try out something like Dash/Freeholders once for fun if you have never used it. Why, though, would anyone continue to use the meta decks in casual play? Casual is just for fun.

This is a common misconception. "Casual" and "competitive" aren't mutually exclusive. Every game played is competitive. The only thing that's different between casual and tournament is the reward for winning.

And yet people will play a game casually at the kitchen table, without any prospect of a reward influencing their playstyle. But why? I think common sense will offer that the game is played for fun. And a key factor for fun in any CCG or LCG is variety: you get to adapt the game to you, rather than the other way around. This is why the genre is so popular. So why sacrifice that key element and play the "been there, done that" deck that everyone knows and hates, when there is no incentive to win other than pride?

I agree with Boris on this one.  I think that competition in games is a vital aspect and when games get casual, they die.

Boris, did you used to play Star Wars minis?  I think I recognize your handle from those forums.