Sign in to follow this  
dantop83

Timing of Events/Player Action Windows

I have been sort of confused on exact timings.

Any recomendations for videos or written explanations of how card timing works?

The examples of my confusion are:

If we finish edge battle and I am the winner and declare Luke to strike can the opponent kill him with a  card now? OR When I announced Luke will use his Unit damage to Kill a unit, NOW I kill Luke, does he still deal damage? Can I even do that??

Is the rulebook defintions of player action windows truly accurate??

The timing can be tough, especially if both players aren't aware of the timing structure and aren't following it strictly. Let's look at your example more closely ...

You just finished the edge battle and you won as the Light Side. There is now an action window that opens up. Whoever's turn it is, they get to play an action first or pass. Then the other player. If both players pass consecutively, that window is closed. Unfortunately, most people don't pause to ask for actions at each window. This means that if someone plays quickly through their turn, they may skip action windows when their opponent wants to play something. So if you won and immediately say, "Now I'm striking with Luke Skywalker," it's probably fair for your opponent to play a Force choke and kill Skywalker before the strike since you didn't give your opponent a chance to act during the action window. 

But if you've declared that you have no actions and they've confirmed that they don't have actions, then the action window is closed. Now that you've started your strike, it's too late for them to play Force Choke or whatever it is so that they can destroy your unit.

Unfortunately, people don't always check to see if their opponent has an action before moving on. Instead, they just pause and if nothing happens immediately, they assume nobody has an action. This works well in most cases, but without both players explicitly passing, the action window doesn't technically close and one player could argue that the other was playing too fast. A pause is better than just playing through and hoping your opponent will stop you, but it's not as good as verbal acknowledgement.

I advocate being very vocal during this game. There are a lot of moving pieces to keep track of, so if you make it very plain when you are taking actions and when you are not, the game can go a lot smoother for everyone.

This is really long (I apologize) but one more distinction to keep in mind is the difference between action, reaction, and interrupt abilities. The action windows are for playing action abilities, so in your example, your opponent passes the action window after the edge battle, so you strike with Luke, now they must wait until the next action window before they can Force choke Luke. This action window will be after Luke has completed his strike so the damage Luke dealt stays on the table. If you had a reaction to Luke striking, this takes effect immediately after the trigger (Luke striking) is finished. Again, the damage will be dealt before Luke is destroyed. But if you had an interrupt to Luke striking, this will kill Luke before he can deal any damage from his strike because it interrupts the triggering condition.

Use the chart at the back of the rulebook. Basically, during each phase (except Balance and Combat), some grey colored "framework" steps must take place, in order, and then there's an action round at the end.  (There is no action round during the Balance phase.)

During combat, there are action rounds and framework steps all over the place.  You cannot move onto the next step in the flow chart until the previous one is complete.  In your example, you win the edge battle, and you want to strike with Luke.  But the flow-chart at the back of the rulebook shows that there is an action round after the edge battle is complete, before the winner of the edge battle can strike with their first unit.

Just like any other action window, you and your opponent can take as many actions as you desire until both of you say "pass", back to back.  In this case, if your opponent has an action that is capable of killing Luke, then Luke will probably die before he can strike, unless you can somehow prevent his death with one of your own cards.

(Note: These action window timing rules apply only to "Actions."  REactions and Interrupts have their own special timing based on their own text.  You don't have to wait for a blue action window to play a Reaction or Interrupt.)

It seems like the rulebook is "accurate" from everything I have read, which was one of my concerns since I figured there have been changes, but I guess not in this case.

My assumptions on timing mostly came from other games like Magic soit will defintley take time getting used to WHEN I need to play an event.

The biggest example was the Icetromper which we didn't understand when he had to be used and if the unit got a focus token or could attck something else...So how does the Icetromper timing work???

Also with commiting units to the force we would actually commit a unit and then play a card to kill it, thus making you lose the force struggle, BUT obviously that is NOT a legal play from what has been described to me since the action windows are after combat and AFTER Force struggle has been decided.

Icetromper can be used any time there's an action window and there's an attacking non-vehicle unit it can target.  Basically, that means any action window from the one after declare attackers until just before the reward unopposed step.  The unit removed from the engagement does not automatically gain a focus token, though if it strikes before the Icetromper is used to remove it, it will keep the focus token(s) it gained from striking.  If not focused some other way, the removed unit may be declared as an attacker in a subsequent engagement as it is still ready.

A common way to use the Icetrompers is to defend with one, try to win the edge battle, if you do win strike with the Icetromper for 1 damage and then sacrifice it in the Action Window between strikes to deal a 2nd damage and remove the attacker from the engagement.

Another nice way to use them is if you have a unit with edge enable Tactics (like the Advisor to the Emperor, Jawa Scavanger, or even Emperor Palpatine).  You can sacrifice the Icetromper either just before or just after declaring defenders, using your tactics unit as a defender, win the edge battle automatically (because even if you don't play in anything, it's a 0-0 tie and defenders win ties), and then use your tactics to put a focus token on the unit that was attacking or any other troublesome units.