Sign in to follow this  
Khyros

E Wing Repaint: Corran Horn

So, I've been comptemplating for awhile now how I'm going to paint my E wings and Z-95s since there really aren't many known schemes for them.  I finally decided that I'm going to paint a Corran Horn E wing "inspired" by his CorSec X wing (I've also decided I should do the same for Tycho and his A wing inspired by his Bacta Wars Rogue Squadron X wing).  I'm sure a few of you have seen some of my earlier work, so you know to not expect anything that good, but overall I'm happy with how it came out, especially the scheme.  Now to just settle on how to do the Z-95s (I'm thinking I'm going to paint them in pairs, but I'm not quite sure what colors or patterns I want to do).

But without further ado, here's what I ended up with (Sorry about the crappy pictures, I had to ask my GF to take a few since I shipped out for work the morning after I finished and forgot to take them beforehand).

photo1_zps12231e32.jpg

photo2_zps77eca976.jpg

Reference picture:

corsec_x_wing_corran_horn_by_lorcan13-d5

Edited by Khyros

Hah!  Maybe I spoke too soon on the other thread.  Looks nice!  I've thought about doing a Tycho A-wing too....maybe I should jump on that sooner rather than later :P

I can take some better pictures next weekend when I'm back home (with a real camera and not a hand holding it), but this is all I have for now.  What do you mean the "upside" pic?

Now this repaint seem promising but the pictures are unfortunately not the best. Could you pretty please with a cherry on top take some better ones?

*SORRY* Didnt see your last post before I pressed the submit button

Edited by MacrossVF1

The color scheme looks great, but the color is a little uneven. Try doing more coats with less paint in each coat.

I don't know if you were going for that rebel worn look, but it just looks more like an unevenly painted mini.

I like it, I think it looks pretty good.

Also like teh reference picture, i don't suppose any thing like that exists for the rest of Rogue Squadron does it?

I like it, I think it looks pretty good.

Also like teh reference picture, i don't suppose any thing like that exists for the rest of Rogue Squadron does it?

Rodent Mastermind did a Bacta Wars repaint for his rogue squadron. I don't know the story but they look pretty amazing.

http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/89553-some-photos-of-stuff-you-know-slave-1-interceptors/page-14?hl=%20bacta%20%20wars

This pic reminds me of a Colonial Viper with some giant fuel tanks. from the top view. :P

photo2_zps77eca976.jpg

Nice work, I like it a lot. 

Edited by Davor

The color scheme looks great, but the color is a little uneven. Try doing more coats with less paint in each coat.

I don't know if you were going for that rebel worn look, but it just looks more like an unevenly painted mini.

Yeah, that's the look I was going for.  Before I started weathering all the grays and whites and greens were all the same color, and by my standards, I did a really neat job with crisp lines, so it looked too... toy-y. So I used various washes to wear different areas more, and a bit of a slight highlight here and there to distinguish the contrast even more.

The bacta wars inspiration comes from: http://swc.fs2downloads.com/sshot.php?subdir=Misc/Brand-X/

Note that these paintings are just some dude's interpretations of what's in the books, and nothing cano... I mean "legacy."

Cool thanks for that link. I am working my way through the X-Wing series of books and read Bacta Wars a few months ago, but from memory the various colour scheme descriptions were very vague.

I'd seen Rodent Mastermind's fantastic X-Wings ages ago, before i realised what they were lol, and had forgotten about them. Shame on me  :unsure:

They are seriously good work.

@Khyros I am currently repainting a Firespray and for my weathering I have really had to make the highlights pop more to make the worn effect stand out. Although i am painting a much bigger ship, i do not know if the same would be valid for a ship the size of an E-Wing.

@Khyros I am currently repainting a Firespray and for my weathering I have really had to make the highlights pop more to make the worn effect stand out. Although i am painting a much bigger ship, i do not know if the same would be valid for a ship the size of an E-Wing.

As I initially stated, I'm not that talented of a painter (though in general, I like the execution of each ship I paint more than the previous, so I guess that means I'm getting better, right?).  That said, I'm really looking forward to painting on the Firespray.  Looking around at others, it seems that the ones that highlight the edges of the panels come out looking much better.  As for its application on the E wing, I'm not sure that I think that's the case.  

The Firespray is much more "panel based."  The wash is needed more of an undercoat to get the dirt and grime in the panel lines.  From there though, I feel like massive highlighting is nessecary in order to accentuate the panels and how each one wears differently.  And for the most part, the color changes occur at panel lines.

On the E wing, the paint scheme (both the out of box, the EU pictures, and the scheme I apply) don't line up at all with panel lines or anything of the sort.  Actually, the E wing doesn't really have very many identifiable panels.  So as such, the scheme needs to be worn as one entity, not as individual pieces.  And in that case, I'd rather start with a bit lighter of a color, knowing that I'm going to be varying primarily the wash thickness, and that everything is going to end up darker.  Or at least that's my logic.  

Here's the first of my Z-95s.  I ended up taking a different approach with these.  I airbrushed them all white per usual, but then before doing anything, I put a heavy wash on them (I say them because I'm doing two at once, only one is finished atm though) and then brushed a severely thinned gray overtop to provide the base gray.  And then from there, I did the standard multiple thin layers of orange, but allowed the variations underneath to act as the weathering of the orange.  I didn't highlight or drushbrush afterwards at all, though I might come back and add that.  Looking at the pictures, the lines aren't all as clean as I would like, so I might touch them up, though they look fine in person.

20140730_171904_zps4e327083.jpg

20140730_171919_zpsc019a6c1.jpg1e55d477-f997-49c8-852a-ef7589662325_zps

Edited by Khyros