Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mndela

Three Trials experiences

63 posts in this topic

My thoughts on here changed dramatically. At first I did not like her, but then i figured out how to play her in deck without allies, which is something i always wanted to do. So, i enjoyed that very much, although I do feel she is kind of stuck to Glorfindel and have had a hard time putting her into decks without him.

Here is the thread when she was first released, cool to read about peoples reactions and it also follows the evolution of my thoughts on her.

http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/111488-and-our-next-hero-is/page-5

There is also a a lot of discussion at Tales from the Cards on her if your interested.

FetaCheese and Narsil0420 like this

Tracker - Do you think Idraen and Glory can pair up for a decent Spirit secrecy deck?  I put together a list that might perform okay against the easier quests, but would just get blown apart by the harder challenges such as Three Trials.

I am really curious how you guys managed to beat it solo, it seems really hard if you get unlucky with barrows/guardians...Getting the 5 attack one ruins all but the best opening hands. If someone could post a deck I'd really appreciate it.

Don't remember my deck exactly. but the cards I most used where more or less (I forgett some)

Heroes Glorfindel, Idraen, Beregond

Allies: Arwen (3), Stargazer (2) (so I could bring the attachments I need more quickly), Defender of Rammas (3), Vassal of the Windlord (3), Gandalf (3) 

Attachments: Citadel Plate (2), Dagger of the westernesse (3) (very usefull), Gondorian shield (3), Rivendell Blade (2), Light of Valinor (3), Thrors Key (3), Unexpected Courage (1) 

Events : Feint (2), Elronds Council (3), Test of will (2), Hasty Stroke (2), Lay 0f Nimrodel (2), Out of sight (2) (for the third stage where you should have enough resources, Glorfindel had some 15 resources when finished), Behind strong walls (3)

The attempt I won the enemies and borrows came the worst combination possible, but I had a good first hand draw (thought not LoV) and started building my deck carefully in order not to lose anything while playing, like allies discarded by time effects on enemy cards etc 

Edited by Nickpes
FetaCheese likes this

Tracker - Do you think Idraen and Glory can pair up for a decent Spirit secrecy deck? I put together a list that might perform okay against the easier quests, but would just get blown apart by the harder challenges such as Three Trials.

It's possible. Idraen would probably have to turn into the main defender. Arwen would have to get out soon, and Blood of numenor would help her later.

But here are the main problems I see without having another dedicated defender.

This is not the problem. The nice thing about her working with Glory is that they can both quest and l if there is location leaving play she and will ready, and Glory usually will have LoV. Then they can attack for 6. It's nice to get a readying effect on Idraen incase a location does not leave play.

Now, without a 3rd hero as defender. You can't rely on Idraen readying after questing to defend so at least 1 UC is going to be needed to make sure she can defend. This would normally be the only insurance she would need to attack and quest every round, but now she will need an additional UC or other readying card to insure she will then attack. If you get stuck engaged with 2 enemies it will be tough to get out of, since glory has no way to boost his attack above 3, so he is relying on idraen or other allies to finish of most enemies.

In the early game LoV will be even more critical since it may not be wise to quest with Idraen in case she has to defend a low threat enemy. If she does not quest and glory does not have LoV yet he will need to exhaust to quest, and if you get engaged your probably done for. Since, she will be defending, and if he can not attack, it's only going to get worse next round.

Also, idraen can be turned into a solid defender, but it will take a bit of time. Blood of Numenor will help, but it takes resources to function, which will put more strain on Glory to pay for most things, so a few Resourceful on him will be necessary early.

So, you could probably make it through some of the easier quests, but I foresee a bumpy ride with a deck feeling like it's missing a wheel, and in my mind that missing wheel is a strong tactics defender.

But give it a try I'd like to hear how it goes. I'm just speculating here. They might work better then I think in actual game play

On another note Glorfindel And Haldir have some real potential for 2 hero secrecy, but song of battle and weapon attachments are critical early on.

Edited by Tracker1

My conclusions are much the same as yours. I think it needs to have a decent number of chump blockers for when the enemies begin to engage. A Watchful Peace may also be very useful. I'll give it a try against Tharbad. If it can't do well there then it won't stand a chance against the rest of Isengard.

You could use out of sight in such a deck with the secrecy it has too. But it needs time to build a deck that can absorb damage, make damage and quest too, using spirit only. It should be very interesting to try it for the fun of it. Also against the shadow could be used to defend with glorfindel

Edited by Nickpes

I put together a list and ran off a couple of games against Passage through Mirkwood. Lost the first horribly as the first three cards were Beastmaster, Beastmaster, Hummerhorns followed by a bunch of treacheries including two Caught in a Web. I had a pair of Power of Orthanc in the deck but didn't see them and without any locations ...

The second game was more representative I think, but I did get Beorn's Path for 3B which made it much easier. Certainly not a tier 1 deck, but not as bad as I had feared.

Glaurung my man, will you have some videos on these new quests?  Would be very cool to see.

Sure I ready to do videos and even start yesterday but… my camera have a problem with a sound delayed… I really not happy about it. Now I try fix it
FetaCheese and jormungandr like this

Glaurung my man, will you have some videos on these new quests?  Would be very cool to see.

Sure I ready to do videos and even start yesterday but… my camera have a problem with a sound delayed… I really not happy about it. Now I try fix it

awww man.  That's too bad.  Hope you figure it out.....those aren't cheap to replace.....good luck. 

I'm eagerly awaiting your videos Glaurung, I love your style of play and copy your decks. :D There are not enough playthroughs of this game in youtube.

I'm eagerly awaiting your videos Glaurung, I love your style of play and copy your decks. :D There are not enough playthroughs of this game in youtube.

Will do more video soon. My camera is better now. Have some delay but is not really much.

FetaCheese likes this