Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mndela

Three Trials experiences

63 posts in this topic

Omg, in solo it is really hard. Like dol guldur nightmare solo.

After 10 times i finally have won.

With the monosphere leadership Aragorn · Imrahil · Sam

How about you?

Lost my first and won my next two. I think it's about a 5 as advertised.

In solo? Which deck? I dont believe it ^^.

Are you sure? Last round you must resolve 6 attacks from guardians (firsts three attacks by traveling, and the others by normal combat phase)...and you must know the cancel effects (in 6 times, you probably must repeat another immediate attack, sure!), how do you block this twister?

Edited by Mndela

Believe it. My deck is set up to put 3 Unexpected Courages on Aragorn along with Stewart of Gondor, Gondorian Shield & Burning Brand. Meanwhile Boromir has a shield of his own, a Song of Wisdom and a Burning Brand. Arwen standing by to pump Aragorn if he needs it.

It's an attachment deck that uses multiple Masters of the Forge on the early turns to get these out. As long as I get to pick the order of my trials it's not a problem.

Lost my first and won my next two. I think it's about a 5 as advertised.

In solo? Which deck? I dont believe it ^^.

Are you sure? Last round you must resolve 6 attacks from guardians (firsts three attacks by traveling, and the others by normal combat phase)...and you must know the cancel effects (in 6 times, you probably must repeat another immediate attack, sure!), how do you block this twister?

you don't have to travel...

You can't win till hallowed circle is explored however so you have to travel at some point... It's also immune to player effects so can't be explored in the staging area

You can't win till hallowed circle is explored however so you have to travel at some point... It's also immune to player effects so can't be explored in the staging area

yes, i know, but Mndela said you have to face 6 attacks, I'm suggesting you don't.

Kill all the Guardians first, then travel, so it's Forced effect never triggers.

PsychoRocka likes this

Very true, also a very good plan!!

It also has pretty low threat so wouldn't do too much damage staying in staging for a while

Edited by PsychoRocka

In solo, is hard to kill all enemies before travelling. And the most correct is to kill one or two at least the first round they are in play. If not, you will have to defend 6 times anyway.

I'll be using a combination of Mega defender Elrohir buffed with attachments and wizards voice/feint to hold them off on stage 3

Edited by PsychoRocka

In solo, is hard to kill all enemies before travelling. And the most correct is to kill one or two at least the first round they are in play. If not, you will have to defend 6 times anyway.

i don't play solo, but i don't see why you can't just kill them first, then travel - it certainly seems like it would help you in this case.

In solo it is too hard to quest, defend three guardians attack, and kill one of them. Even if you reach to kill one, you can't keep alive more than 2 rounds.

The best way in solo is to travel (and block guardians 3 times) and return to defend the 3 times in combat phase. After, the next round make a good quest phase and try to explore the location to win the game.

It isn't to hard, and you can kill them if you like. Remember if you have a leadership splash you do not even need to quest with "Ever Onward". Very underrated card but in quest where there is a lot to do at once, it cna make a huge difference. Though there are so many ways to quest AND fight in the same turn... .. .

It isn't to hard, and you can kill them if you like. Remember if you have a leadership splash you do not even need to quest with "Ever Onward". Very underrated card but in quest where there is a lot to do at once, it cna make a huge difference. Though there are so many ways to quest AND fight in the same turn... .. .

Yeah, good idea, Ever Onward ^^. I haven't never seen it in play, first time i notice it usefull.

i've played it twice two player and won both times.  Really the key was in both instances one player had a beefed up Elrohir which was really able to easily handle every attack by the guardians.  Really fun quest although love the different mechanics of the trials and obtaining the keys.  The second match we did have a player threat out mostly due to the first barrow being the one which raises your threat by the guardians threat level combined with the raven guardian who took a bit longer to kill as we had to get set up and he was the first one out.  Despite the two victories I can see this quest as being extremely challenging if your not bringing a hero such as Elrohir or Boromir to the table who can defend with impunity

PsychoRocka likes this

Just tried with Irdraen, Beravor and Glorfindel Spirit. Survived until the 3rd stage. i did not have enough power to take out the Guardians, and did not have enough readying deal with the after traveling six attacks. It was close, but things fell apart with the combined effect of time counters going off. I'm surprised I made it that far. Looks like tactics Boromir is going to be one of the answers to this. Interesting and I like it so far, but it's looking like there is going to be one main strategy for the solo player to be successful on this, but I'm going to continue to throw different decks at it before I call on the Captain of Gondor for help.

Oh yeah, very hard solo! It's a really nice challenge!

I've played it six times already and haven't won. I tend to try a few times with a deck before I give up though.

I got to one game where i was ONE WILLPOWER AWAY FROM WINNING! and then the second round of 3 guardians attacked and took me out. That was one of the most tense games I've ever played. Gondor deck probably did the best overall. I think that it's really a combat focused deck that will work but you do have to be able to get that key from the location on one stage... 

This is definitely getting up there with one of the best quests ever released for the game IMO, and I haven't even played it multiplayer yet!

PsychoRocka likes this

Just pulled off a win on my second try, took 16 rounds and was at 44 threat final score 184 minus victory points. Thought I was a goner, was at threat 49 when ancient mathom pulled 2 elrond counsels. Very close, sweatin bullets.

I used Idrean, Glorfindel spirit and Beregond. I only and 3 copies of arwen in the deck in the deck for allies. The rest was 0 and 1 cost cards except for 3 UC. My whole strategy was to pile up resources on Beregond with Blood of Gondor and Idrean with Gondorian Fire. i was able to have Idrean and Glorfindel take out 1 guardian per round before traveling to the final location. But even If i did have to face the dread 6 attacks, I had three feint in and a number of readying effects for Beregond. The main concern was location lock. I did not have a ton of willpower. And got lucky to draw Lay of Nimrodel for the final push and used Idrean's heap of resources to blast through the last location for the win.

i really have no Idea how consistent this deck will be, but I cant't believe it pulled it off. Im ready to try again with Strength of Will for a bit more location control. We'll see if it was a fluke or if I'm on to something.

PsychoRocka likes this

I lost this afternoon using my superhero deck and randomly choosing the stages. This is a very good test for the solo player though there is a bit of a formula. Really want to see how the dwarves handle it.

Okay, tried again and it was a location lock loss, but the following was another win.

For the win in the end Beregond defended all 6 attacks with 1 UC, 1 Miruvor, 1 White council ready, and 2 feint, and 1 hasty stroke prevented another attack. The following round Idraen quested for 16 with Lay of Nimrodel, she had 14 resources in her pool, and with glorfindel they had 19 willpower and just cleared the final location by 1 with with 6 threat in the staging area and 12 progress to put down. Unfortunately, we lost Arwen the round before. It took 15 rounds to complete again with a score of 181. Not sure this deck will be able to do better than that.

Cool quest. There is a bit of a code to crack like Bullroarer Took said. So far I have only done stage 2 with intuition, perseverance and strength sequence. Randomly selecting the sequence will add an even greater challenge I believe.

out of curiosity how many times have you guys been on the trial of intuition and perseverance (aka the two not required to actually kill the guardian) where you HAVE killed the guardian then the following turn reveal the treachery that puts an out of play guardian back in play? happened both games for me and was definitely one of those "you've got to be kidding me" moments.

I need to go back at it this week with some different decks since i feel like Elrohir/Elladan is the premier deck for this quest and try some other strategies for fun.  In so far as creativeness goes this has go to be near the top if not the pinnacle of FFG's quest design.

DC06675 likes this

out of curiosity how many times have you guys been on the trial of intuition and perseverance (aka the two not required to actually kill the guardian) where you HAVE killed the guardian then the following turn reveal the treachery that puts an out of play guardian back in play? happened both games for me and was definitely one of those "you've got to be kidding me" moments.

I need to go back at it this week with some different decks since i feel like Elrohir/Elladan is the premier deck for this quest and try some other strategies for fun.  In so far as creativeness goes this has go to be near the top if not the pinnacle of FFG's quest design.

Mate, Elrohir and Elladan are the premier deck for every quest :D;)

Yeah from everything I've read almost everyone has said it is instantly one of their favorite quests and one of the best designed quests to date. So friggin excited to smash some guardian face

Edited by PsychoRocka