Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GannerRhysode

Folding Game Table & Magnetized Models (4 Pics)

22 posts in this topic

So last weekend I decided to make a folding game table for X-Wing.  One that I could put in my trunk and take with me to Tournaments (in case the LGS or TO needed another board) or to a buddy's house for a few pick up games.

The frame is made of Poplar (3/4" thick by 3.5" wide) with a recess on the bottom for the 1/4" thick ply board to attach at.  (So it has a 1.5" area for the wood glue and staples to secure it to the frame.  The frames are connected by two hinges sunk in with the area around them cut out and sanded down so the board can fold up and close. 

On top of the ply board, six 1'x18" metal sheets are glued to the ply board and on top of that, I have a cardboard poster board double-sided taped to the metal.

The bases of all my ships are magnetized and the cardboard provides just enough interference to make the models still stick magnetically to the board without moving but doesn't force the player to use Thor's Hammer and a chisel to get them off.

The poster board was originally one piece, which I painted before cutting into two even strips.

The handles are each fastened tight with two 1" nails.  On the back of the board, I adhered furniture runners so that the board doesn't mess up anyone table (or mine when it is sitting at my apt)

(NOTE: I know that the last picture does not depict a tourney legal 100 point force for both sides. I just grabbed four rebel and four empire ships and put them on the table.  Surprisingly, they are pretty close to 120/125 pts each)

I am thinking about staining the frame, what do you all think?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Wow this is really nice! I love it. I do think staining or painting the frame would be a good idea though. Nice work!

Thanks!  I think staining it and then adding a laminated printout on the middle right of each side with the Order of Operations (turn phases on it) would be nice.

Maybe a white laminated paper on the left that the two players can write ship activation order on at the onset of the game so they can just go to that to see who activates next.

I don't know.

An interesting endeavour! I think it's a great table.

I agree with Expat, staining or painting (black?) would make it even better.

An interesting endeavour! I think it's a great table.

I agree with Expat, staining or painting (black?) would make it even better.

Black?  Do you think that could confuse people as to where the edge of the play area is?  I don't want anyone whining that the table could cause them to take an action that they wouldn't had otherwise if they "had known that's where the board edge was." 

You know how gamers can behave at tournaments.  :P

That laminated space to write down the odd thing is brilliant! As far as colors go, I would advocate against painting it black as well. I think a gunmetal gray would look awesome. Or make it themed and one side Imperial green and the other side Rebel red, but that could very easily look cheesy.

GannerRhysode likes this

Looks nice, although I imagine it must be quite heavy.  What sort of play surface did you use?  Is it like the pre-made play mats from GF9, or is it something you custom made and then mounted to the board?

Also, have you noticed any issues at the center where the board folds?  I've been toying with something similar (though not with the magnets or metal backings), and was wondering if the crease causes issues with movement, which is something I've noticed when playing against people who fold rather than roll their mats..

GannerRhysode likes this

Pretty awesome!

Suggestions:

Stick with wooden edges.

Include space for ship manoeuvre reference printouts along the edges.

Grind small recesses on the playing edges for holding tokens.

GannerRhysode likes this

Looks nice, although I imagine it must be quite heavy.  What sort of play surface did you use?  Is it like the pre-made play mats from GF9, or is it something you custom made and then mounted to the board?

Also, have you noticed any issues at the center where the board folds?  I've been toying with something similar (though not with the magnets or metal backings), and was wondering if the crease causes issues with movement, which is something I've noticed when playing against people who fold rather than roll their mats..

I painted that scene onto the cardboard.  I have never noticed any issue with the crease, as it is almost perfectly level (Until a player goes and puts their entire weight on my board and crushes the cardboard....after which I will peel that off, paint another, and place it back onto it.

Pretty awesome!

Suggestions:

Stick with wooden edges.

Include space for ship manoeuvre reference printouts along the edges.

Grind small recesses on the playing edges for holding tokens.

I like that suggestion, Bilisknir.  All the players I know, use small boxes like the one I have off to the left but when they start getting used, the tokens end up just getting laid out at the bottom of the board.  Little cubbies for the tokens might be nice.

Do many people use the maneuver reference printouts?  I have never seen one on the table.  That may be something to think about as well.

I hope you use some for of antiseptic spray after rebels play on the board.

;) but in all seriousness great looking board.

Thank you!  Hahaha, there is a good thick layer of clear coat over the entire painting just for that purpose...though I have strayed from putting Soontir Fel and his interceptors on the table as of late for a duo E-Wing list, I still put the table to rest each night with Soontir and the gang chilling on it.

Ya know, to keep the boogeymen away. :)

DrStranglovin likes this

A metal "Dead Box" on either side might be a good idea.  I did something like this (though no where near that nice) back in my Mechwarrior days.  I found that a place to put the dead is a good thing. Allows for better record keeping later should you be keeping track of points.

GannerRhysode likes this

A metal "Dead Box" on either side might be a good idea.  I did something like this (though no where near that nice) back in my Mechwarrior days.  I found that a place to put the dead is a good thing. Allows for better record keeping later should you be keeping track of points.

OFF TOPIC: Phelan Kell, Aiden Pryde, Natascha Kerensky and Kai Allard Laio would make the best lance EVER. 

Most games thus far, people have put their dead on the frame of the table.  As it is large enough to solidly hold the large and small base models.  I'd probably have to build attachments to the frame to house s graveyard tray, or something that it connected to that I could take off in transit (so the weight wouldn't make it unusable)

Edited by GannerRhysode

That looks amazing, I have been thinking of doing something similar, just not sure if I wanted to build something heavy to take around. I am now motivated after seeing what you have and I will probably start on it this weekend. I plan on adding spots in the frame for tokens and the like. I will post what I come up with in a week or so when it is done.

GannerRhysode likes this

That looks amazing, I have been thinking of doing something similar, just not sure if I wanted to build something heavy to take around. I am now motivated after seeing what you have and I will probably start on it this weekend. I plan on adding spots in the frame for tokens and the like. I will post what I come up with in a week or so when it is done.

Thunder, first off, thank you!  Secondly, great!  I can't wait to see you post yours in a week or so!  I think that, because the game is so rich in fluff and extra contact that we all know and love, why not play it on a great board!  

Just saw in another thread that one person said this:

"I am surprised more mats don't have asteroid and setup area marketed out..."

How would a faded out 1 range area on the edges of the board look, do you all think, for deployment?

It wouldn't be on other maps at a tournament so, as gamers go, could it be argued that it conveyed a specific distance to the edge of the board and hence notified the players of that set distance?  I.E. They know deployment is 20 cm and so they know that when they get to that point on the board, they know that they can only do maneuvers that would fit mathematically in that given area?