Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JasonRed3

New Player question - Explain the TIE Advanced to me?

59 posts in this topic

All other ships can fill the needed (whatever that may be) role better than the Advanced and the cost in points is too high. I think if you try to "fix" the Advanced then it starts encroaching on the turfs of other ships and they all start to look homogeneous.

Is this ship sub-par? Why?

Will anything be done to make the ship more appealing?

J

Brace yourself nerd rage will appear.

I like the Tie/A. Its cool. People dislike it as they feel its overpriced, I'm not saying they're wrong but it doesn't take away from how good the Advanced can be. Vader is the only pilot who gets used ( its Vader for god sake ).

That's why basically, overpriced and only one pilot ever used.

Don't let people put you off though. You can still enjoy the advanced just keep in mind it has only two attack dice.

Edited by Spaceman91
Torresse likes this

It's not sub-par, per se, but costs a little too much points-wise for what it is.  As for anything being done, rumors abound.  Gencon is coming up soon, so if anything's in the works for it, that would be the logical place for FFG to mention it.

Ok, fair enough.  I was (un)fortunate enough to end up with 3 of these after a trade, so I'm trying to decide how many to keep... it looks like one for nostalgia.  :)

Ok, fair enough.  I was (un)fortunate enough to end up with 3 of these after a trade, so I'm trying to decide how many to keep... it looks like one for nostalgia.   :)

I would give it a month and see what Gencon releases news wise. Many people have only 2 advanced ties in their collections so having one extra won't hurt.

Slugrage likes this

Other ships do it's job better cheaper. It doesn't really fill any void or have a role it excels in. It's unique pilots have 2 of the best in the game and if they were on any other ship except a tie would be INSANE! Mareek could really ruin someones day if he could roll more than 2 sometimes 3 dice consistently and a free PTL with no stress is always great!

Tie Advanced: FFG's big error

compare a rookie to the temptest sq. same hull/shields, the only difference is a tie advanced is much more likely to survive an encounter with an xwing then another xwing

Ok, fair enough.  I was (un)fortunate enough to end up with 3 of these after a trade, so I'm trying to decide how many to keep... it looks like one for nostalgia.   :)

I've got 3 myself.  I'd hang on to them for a bit.  If you're looking for definite items that will increase their usefulness, the Proton Rockets that are coming in Rebel Aces are DEFINITELY going to be useful on them.  Also, if you plan on playing Epic, Maarek works very well in that setting.

Edited by Audio Weasel

1. Attack dice are better than defense dice. Attack dice have 3 hits + crit. Evade dice have 3 evades.

TIE Advanced costs the same as the Rookie X-wing, but they swap attack and defense dice.

Because of 1 and 2, it costs more than it should compared to other ships. Lots of math involved, but it's about 4 points overcosted using the 12 point Academy TIE Fighter as a baseline.

Vader's pilot ability is one of the best in the game.

I have house rules for making them balanced, but can only hope FFG fixes them like they are doing with A-wings.

I own 4.  :D

Slugrage likes this

It's a very good defensive ship in an offensive game. I play them a lot Because I play a lot of non-competetive games. Now that we have opportunist/predator/outmaneuver I think both named Advanced pilots are very good, just too hard to fit into a competetive squad.

Strange, I remember somebody saying the Phantom was FFG's big error.

It wasn't me, but I can fix that.  The Phantom is FFG's big error.  It does more to restrict the viable competitive list choices than all other considerations combined.

Edited by KineticOperator
madquest8 and Futant420 like this

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that it was.

No offence taken, the sky is falling happens a lot here, but IMHO I think that the majority of voices on the forums have said the Tie Advanced needs major work such as a Refit or something to get it into the game again. Granted Darth is awesome, but that doesn't make it a viable ship. Maybe I'm being harsh but I don't think it has proven itself when compared to the canon of the movies: maybe movie.

I think when the proton rockets come out it will be viable again.  If they come out with something advanced specific...more the better, gotta dig the ship.

Actually, I'd say they nailed it. Its exactly like it is in the SW universe.

You're exactly right.

When they made Star Wars, they were originally going to just have Vader pilot a regular TIE Fighter. Then they realized that the audience wouldn't be able to tell it apart and know who the villain's ship was, so they decided to create a new one. But it really didn't have any differences between itself and the normal TIEs story-wise.

The EU made it have some differences, which is to be expected considering it has a radically bigger hull than the TIE Fighter. But because of its design it can't be much better than one. It has the same guns and about the same size hull, so it had to be statted just about the same, with two attack dice and three hull. And since it has a smaller profile, despite the bigger hull, it has to have a similar evasion stat to the TIE Fighter. The dial is the weak point, but it's made up for by shields, at least in theory.

But the sad truth is that the Advanced isn't worth the points it takes, and once you nerf it in point cost it becomes, as has been stated, homogenous with other Imperial ships.

That isn't to say it isn't a fun little devil to take out. I've had some interesting experiences flying the Advanced, and it's a hoot IMO. I just wouldn't take it against a serious opponent.

Why?

The TIE advanced exists because of Vader, the other cards in the box are just there because people would whine if a ship only had one pilot. And Vader works just fine, fluff-wise the ship is accurate and he has arguably the most powerful pilot ability in the game. But for some odd reason people expect the space-filler cards to be relevant, which puts FFG in an awkward position: they have to make the ship better without making Vader better, and they don't have any named characters to work with since the ship was a one-time prototype. It's not really surprising that FFG's decision so far has been "screw it, we'll deal with it later somehow".