Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nikk whyte

I'm taking a 3 ship rebel list to regionals in Atlanta

49 posts in this topic

Etahn A'baht: R2-D2, proton torpedos, PTL, FCS

Like skywalker: flechette torpedo, wingman

Airen Cracken: concussion missiles.

This is my winningest list, and I'm at the top of my local x-wing league.

Thoughts, suggestions, critiques appreciated.

Forensicus likes this

I have never heard of Like Skywalker. Is he a cousin of Luke or something?

I take it there aren't a lot of Phantom lists in your local meta. Also, with the new Falcon builds with C3, you might struggle with three ships putting a dent into a buffed Chewie. Taking 3 ordnance upgrades is a big risk as well. Cracken will help, but he's squishy and I would target him first.

ghaerdon2 and horsepire like this

Why the torpedoes on Etahn?  My impression was that they are not really worth it on a 3-attack ship.  It also makes for a very expensive Etahn build.  

I do like wingman on Luke; obviously meant to fly formation with Etahn.  

I would consider dropping some ordnance to switch Cracken out with someone with a little more staying power and consistent attack.  

Ninbur likes this

With Wave 4, my personal opinion is that number of ships by itself is no longer a valid indicator of a list's strength. (When Wave 5 arrives, I think there will be viable two-ship Imperial lists, which is just weird.) So don't worry too much about the fact that it's a three-ship Rebel list.

Now, about the list itself...

(1) Definitely drop the Proton Torpedoes and Concussion Missiles. The contexts in which they pay off are rare, and this isn't one of them. If you really want an alpha strike, Homing Missiles, Cluster Missiles (because two attacks = two granted actions), or Ion Pulse Missiles are a better choice for Cracken; Flechette Torpedoes are a better choice for Etahn.

(2) Consider dropping Wingman from Luke. Etahn already has lots of green maneuvers on his dial, and R2-D2 gives him a serious incentive to use them, so getting rid of stress probably won't be a problem. If you really want it in the list, move it over to Cracken (who will be in close range anyway).

(3) Consider adding R5-P9 to Luke. With Cracken around he stands a good chance of getting Focus + TL, which in combination with his pilot ability means he can make good use of the droid.

(4) Consider adding Predator to Luke. Luke + Predator + R5-P9, in particular, is the honey badger of X-wing pilots.

(5) Consider swapping Cracken out for Blount + Ion Pulse Missiles or even a pair of Bandit Squadron Pilots. I like him a lot as a replacement for a Rookie Pilot Currently (that is, setting aside my note about R5-P9), he's not actually doing much here: Etahn already breaks the action economy with both PTL and FCS, and Luke has his pilot ability as an "extra action".

EDIT: Perhaps more usefully, here is a summary of the changes I'd make. (I had to drop the Flechette Torpedoes, which I liked, in order to fit the Bandits.) Obviously YMMV on what you like or don't like, and there's a big question mark for me in how well it would handle a Phantom list...

Etahn A'baht (32)
Push the Limit (3)
Fire-Control System (2)
R2-D2 (4)

Luke Skywalker (28)
Predator (3)
R5-P9 (3)

Bandit Squadron Pilot (12)

Bandit Squadron Pilot (12)

Total: 99
Edited by Vorpal Sword
Souladin and Ninbur like this

What have you been flying against in league? I'm at the top of my league currently and most of the builds I've run up against and played myself wouldn't fear this...

Airen is a weak link and if Etahn is taken out early, Luke and Airen are in trouble.

IronTau likes this

Every time I've fired those protons of Etahn, they've netted me a kill. Protons are hot right now.

It's understandable why you take them then.  But as far as I know, the statistical efficiency of protons has been thoroughly hashed out and they've been found lacking.  

If you believe in luck, keep packing the protons.  If you value the mathwing-ing done on this forum and others, i suggest you drop them and do some restructuring, along the lines Vorpal has suggested.  I prefer to stick to the math in a largely dice-based game.

What have you been flying against in league? I'm at the top of my league currently and most of the builds I've run up against and played myself wouldn't fear this...

Airen is a weak link and if Etahn is taken out early, Luke and Airen are in trouble.

Took it against a defender/interceptor/firespray list, came down to Etahn/firespray and I completely out dueled the firespray.

A few y-wing/hawk lists designed to slow me down, where I first learned of the power of protons, and one phantom and 4 tie list.

Every time I've fired those protons of Etahn, they've netted me a kill. Protons are hot right now.

It's understandable why you take them then.  But as far as I know, the statistical efficiency of protons has been thoroughly hashed out and they've been found lacking.  

If you believe in luck, keep packing the protons.  If you value the mathwing-ing done on this forum and others, i suggest you drop them and do some restructuring, along the lines Vorpal has suggested.  I prefer to stick to the math in a largely dice-based game.

While I do respect the math, you can't account for that human factor.

My biggest worry is that I've loaded Etahn down so much he's the obvious first target.

In serious competitive play, they face four problems:

(1) Acquiring a target lock. PS5 can have trouble picking up early target locks against PS 6-9, due to distance and maneuvering issues. Cracken helps with this, obviously, but if he's out of range or dead before he attacks you're in trouble.

(2) Shields. Most things you're really worried about have shields, which negate a lot of the power of those extra critical hits. Holding your Torpedoes until later in the match might be an effective tactic, but Etahn is likely to be a priority target for your opponent, which makes holding them dangerous (also see point #1 re: picking up a TL when 

(3) Attack dice. Assuming you have a focus token when you attack, the Torpedoes are basically equivalent to 4 dice with Marksmanship, plus Etahn's own buff. That's is a fairly reliable crit/crit/hit/blank result, or even crit/crit/hit/hit--but you also have a 26% chance of ending up crit/crit/blank/blank or worse. In fact, if you play 5 rounds, the likelihood of a weak result with your torpedoes in at least one match is 78%.

(IMO: this is the most powerful thing driving ordnance out of competitive play. You include that missile or torpedo or whatever at a cost, and that leaves you at a disadvantage when it whiffs--as it's very likely to do over the course of a long tournament. So you pay for the torpedo but have to plan to live without it.)

(4) Defense dice. The things you should absolutely plan to face right now are Echo/Whisper and Falcons with Threepio and the Millennium Falcon title. The former will have their cloaks up before Etahn's PS5, and will likely be rolling four dice with focus, while the latter can guarantee two evade results when it sees your torpedoes coming.

I could be wrong, but in your position I'd still pull the Torpedoes out.

I absolutely love using Luke, but you got to give people a reason to shoot him. 

Craken is good to help get an alpha off. I expect him to die very soon after that consequently Ive moved away adding him to lists.

Ethan is my new love. He is great, but weird the way you have him set up. This is my new 3 list build with Ethan.

Ethan + Predator

Luke + Predator

Ten + Predator

Its not a lot of firepower, but its a lot of ACCURATE firepower. And they can use their actions. Luke to pull focus and Ten + Ethan to barrel roll or focus. Chances are you are going to hit, and chances are, something will get through, that will be crits. 

Earlier iterations of this list had no R2.

So what if I dropped R2, and have Cracken munitions failsafe (to cover his attack) and decoy? He'd give Etahn that target lock from go, and then FCS would take over target lock acquisitions.

So what if I dropped R2, and have Cracken munitions failsafe (to cover his attack) and decoy? He'd give Etahn that target lock from go, and then FCS would take over target lock acquisitions.

Yeah, but now he's 26 points. His pilot ability is great, but you could have Garven or two Talas for that price.

Yeah, but now he's 26 points. His pilot ability is great, but you could have Garven or two Talas for that price.

I don't have garven, and only 1 Z. I only have 6 rebels to throw at this list. I've tried setting up a YT/e-wing/x-wing list, and it crumbled so fast.

I don't have garven, and only 1 Z. I only have 6 rebels to throw at this list. I've tried setting up a YT/e-wing/x-wing list, and it crumbled so fast.

Ah, I wasn't thinking about component restrictions (and completely ignored your signature). My apologies.

Hmm... Okay, back to the drawing board. With your collection in mind, your original list actually looks much better. Maybe change it up like this? Luke helps protect his wingmen a little, the list overall trades some potentially inconsistent damage for really consistent control, and Etahn can't heal but he has even better flexibility after PTL.

Etahn A'baht (32)
Push the Limit (3)
Fire-Control System (2)
Flechette Torpedoes (2)
R2 Astromech (1)

Luke Skywalker (28)
Draw Their Fire (1)
Flechette Torpedoes (2)
R2-D2 (4)

Airen Cracken (19)
Swarm Tactics (2)
Ion Pulse Missiles (3)
Munitions Failsafe (1)

Total: 100

Ok, I like that list a lot. I'm short one flechette though, so that's out.

I'm getting in some practice matches tonight, I'll let you guys know how I flew.

Ah, I wasn't thinking about component restrictions (and completely ignored your signature). My apologies.

Hmm... Okay, back to the drawing board. With your collection in mind, your original list actually looks much better. Maybe change it up like this? Luke helps protect his wingmen a little, the list overall trades some potentially inconsistent damage for really consistent control, and Etahn can't heal but he has even better flexibility after PTL.

Etahn A'baht (32)
Push the Limit (3)
Fire-Control System (2)
Flechette Torpedoes (2)
R2 Astromech (1)

Luke Skywalker (28)
Draw Their Fire (1)
Flechette Torpedoes (2)
R2-D2 (4)

Airen Cracken (19)
Swarm Tactics (2)
Ion Pulse Missiles (3)
Munitions Failsafe (1)

Total: 100

My concern with this list is the need to fly in tight formation. Luke and Airen both become far less useful once they're at rng2 of allies, and Etahn needs to overlap his arc. While this isn't a major issue on it's own, people are likely to be packing some Assault Missiles or Phantoms. If you've got to keep 3 ships close together, both of these things are likely to ruin your day quite painfully. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but assault missiles are squarely anti-swarm territory. I have to imagine that, upon seeing my three ships, assault missiles will get dropped in favor of something else.

I'm just going to ask - how do you see this list performing against the lists that won Spokane, Plano, Bloomfield and Kuala Lampur? That would be the measuring stick I'd apply to your list. If you can beat a competent Phantom player, and trash the Falcon, you *should* be fine. If you lose to either of those on a regular basis, you'll have to hope for good match ups.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but assault missiles are squarely anti-swarm territory. I have to imagine that, upon seeing my three ships, assault missiles will get dropped in favor of something else.

Once someone has something listed, they have to fly with it. A lot of people in my local area have found ways to include at least one AM just as insurance against something stupid. It's also fun to have AMs, TL the ship you don't want in range 1 of anyone else, and force your opponent to make some hard choices. 

I'm not actually sure what to expect out of my local meta. I joined this game about a month before wave 4 hit, so I've never actually fought the same style list twice.

The most important thing is feeling comfortable with the list you choose. So just choose one, and play it over and over against the widest array of different match ups. That will also help you to cut corners in that list and improve. 

I think you have too much ordnance in that list.

Edited by DreadStar
Parakitor and AtomicFryingPan like this