Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nerdmeister

The Quenya challenge

11 posts in this topic

Now I´m hoping someone in here has the same interest in Quenya as I do, otherwise this will be a rather one-sided challenge :P

I recently finished a self-help course in learning the Tolkenian language of Quenya (a dialect of elvish) so thought I would try my skill at creating a letter from the mythology. A course is fine to learn the basics but something like this should be trialed or it will wither.

If someone feels up to try and translate it and, more importantly, I have succeeded in making myself understood, that would be really cool. I should say that I purposefully have made the choice to try out some different grammatical compositions, the better to test myself.

I will post my english version of the letter in a few days for comparison.

And a final note: The last word "camda" is not an official word. But lacking one from the sources I used, I instead opted to make this word out of the words "(ca)nta", "ra(m)ba" and "pan(da)".

quenya-letter.jpg

Have fun (hopefully)

Nickpes, richsabre and PsychoRocka like this

Are the first two words something relating to "Faithful Friend?"

Indeed they are :)

More precisely "My Steadfast Friend" (steadfast according to the source I used; guess faithful works equally fine)

i can not help you.. and while learning Klingon or elvish is about the same level of crazy, I also think it is pretty cool. I like crazy.

Can you write in the script as well?

i can not help you.. and while learning Klingon or elvish is about the same level of crazy, I also think it is pretty cool. I like crazy.

Can you write in the script as well?

Thanks Booored, I´ll take "crazy in a good way" as a compliment ;)

I haven´t gotten to writing in Tengwar yet but have been contemplating a course in that as well once I am more confident in the basics. No need to rush it :)

As promised here is the english version of the letter:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Steadfast Friend

I write to thee with a heart darkened by evil knowledge.
The Enemy is moving and we are forced to act swiftly or all will be lost.
Furthermore the weapon of the Enemy has been found and that gives us a chance to strike first.
For this reason I am summoning all free peoples to Imladris to decide (judge) the best path to travel in coming days.
We will meet on the 25th of october.

Be thee here or thee be square.

E
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually found a fault myself with one of the first words "tecien" from the stem "tec-" ("to write"), should have been just "tecin". Might not seem like much but at the least it makes the sentence gibberish and at the worst it can make it mean that "in order to write you I must darken my heart with evil knowledge".
As for my made-up word "camda" --> "square" it consists, as I mentioned, of the words canta (four), ramba (wall) and panda (enclosure).
legolas18 likes this