Sign in to follow this  
Slugrage

Extended Trailer for Animated Star Wars: Rebels

But Mandalorians are basically exactly the same as Ninjas.

The Three Facts of Ninjas should apply equally to Mandalorians.

Facts:

1.    Ninjas are mammals.
2.    Ninjas fight ALL the time.
3.    The purpose of the ninja is to flip out and kill people.

Fact: Pirates always beat ninjas. Han versus Boba? Yeah, I think we all know how that turned out.

And a cartoon.

Yeah, if you're going to swoon over a 'toon, do it right.

jessica-rabbit-1.jpg

She's not bad, she's just drawn that way.

Edited by WonderWAAAGH

I still can't get past pink mandalorian armour.

What are the officially sanctioned colours for mandalorian armour? I abhor the pink everything for girls that our culture is doing but the mandalorian outfit is better then most female outfits in comics these days and much better then star wars has done lately. Her midriff is covered, no clevage, she's not wearing high heeled boots, no breast implants, and not wearing a short skirt. It's a miracle.

I don't think anyone has a problem with pink being a non-canon colour, we're just annoyed by the same old-fashioned gender colour-coding that you don't like either.

The rest of your points are good, but it's still a shame that they couldn't go all the way and give her a paint job without any of the dumb connotations that come with pink battle armour.

Incidentally, my incoming acrylic range rulers are cut in fluorescent pink. It's one of my favourite colours when it's not being lazily applied to visually distinguish female from male.

So, it's okay for you to like pink, just not a fictional character? The pilot is green with baggy drab brown and grey clothes, how is that a stereotypical girl in tv motif? Nothing about the preview material seems to indicate she's a stereotypical female princess type that needs saving. I can honestly see how an artist would come up with pink being a thing a 'punk' like her would be in to. It's bright, stands out and is the antithesis of the black and white that makes up the Empire.

This guy's got it right. Dead on the money, sir.

What are the officially sanctioned colours for mandalorian armour? I abhor the pink everything for girls that our culture is doing but the mandalorian outfit is better then most female outfits in comics these days and much better then star wars has done lately. Her midriff is covered, no clevage, she's not wearing high heeled boots, no breast implants, and not wearing a short skirt. It's a miracle.

I don't think anyone has a problem with pink being a non-canon colour, we're just annoyed by the same old-fashioned gender colour-coding that you don't like either.

The rest of your points are good, but it's still a shame that they couldn't go all the way and give her a paint job without any of the dumb connotations that come with pink battle armour.

Incidentally, my incoming acrylic range rulers are cut in fluorescent pink. It's one of my favourite colours when it's not being lazily applied to visually distinguish female from male.

So, it's okay for you to like pink, just not a fictional character? The pilot is green with baggy drab brown and grey clothes, how is that a stereotypical girl in tv motif? Nothing about the preview material seems to indicate she's a stereotypical female princess type that needs saving. I can honestly see how an artist would come up with pink being a thing a 'punk' like her would be in to. It's bright, stands out and is the antithesis of the black and white that makes up the Empire.

Nah, no.

That's the kind of argument that's always available in these sorts of discussions, no matter how ridiculous the character is. It can be the worst-case scenario of pandering character design (skimpy outfit, huge cartoonish boobs, giant phallic sword, etc.) and you'll still find people defending it with superficially accurate reasoning -- eg. her lack of clothes helps her agile fighting style, she uses her sex appeal to intimidate/distract her enemies, and so forth.

The point is that those justifications don't need to be reached for if the designers show some restraint/awareness, and preempt the discussion from ever jumping off.

Yes, bright pink is antithetical to the colour choices and attitudes of the Empire. So are bright orange, bright green, sky blue, aquamarine, and on and on. And none of those choices come saddled with the problematic connotations that pink does. Fiction isn't created in a vacuum. When you throw pink armour on a spunky young girl you're making a decision that comes with attachments, whether you like it or not, whether it makes justifiable sense for the character or not.

Let's get things straight; I'm not boycotting the show for something as minor as this. But it's the kind of thing that makes you sigh and roll your eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYkXif5Q2mA

another new trailer just popped up from SDCC. Shows off a bit more space combat, I definitely think we'll be seeing ships from the show popping up in X-wing. Kinda weird seeing some of the early McQuarrie designs like the stumpier TIEs and the tall star destroyer also the shot with C3P0 and R2D2 and the new droids has the very Metropolis inspired version of C3P0 on the right. 

edit: **** Ninjas

Edited by Rob Jedi

The art in that even newer trailer looked somehow more "mature" if you will. Not quite as cartoon'y to me. I quite like it, and I'm even more pumped for this now. It's a long way off until December 2015 still, so this should fill the void quite nicely.

I'm still hoping that FFG will announce the Ghost as a new ship (as I've cheered about for a long time now), and now also with that cruiser. Decent marketing add-ons to bring even more new players into the game, and extend the products life even more. And if Hera is a pilot for the Ghost release, and Sabine possibly a crew card, the potential to reduce the "sausage party" nature of this game would certainly be appreciated. ;)

I wonder if Rebels will get as mature as Clone Wars got at times. I mean you had decapitations and that one creepy scene with Ventress kissing the guy she just force pulled onto her saber. Or are they going to go full kids show?

Nah, no.

That's the kind of argument that's always available in these sorts of discussions, no matter how ridiculous the character is. It can be the worst-case scenario of pandering character design (skimpy outfit, huge cartoonish boobs, giant phallic sword, etc.) and you'll still find people defending it with superficially accurate reasoning -- eg. her lack of clothes helps her agile fighting style, she uses her sex appeal to intimidate/distract her enemies, and so forth.

The point is that those justifications don't need to be reached for if the designers show some restraint/awareness, and preempt the discussion from ever jumping off.

Yes, bright pink is antithetical to the colour choices and attitudes of the Empire. So are bright orange, bright green, sky blue, aquamarine, and on and on. And none of those choices come saddled with the problematic connotations that pink does. Fiction isn't created in a vacuum. When you throw pink armour on a spunky young girl you're making a decision that comes with attachments, whether you like it or not, whether it makes justifiable sense for the character or not.

Let's get things straight; I'm not boycotting the show for something as minor as this. But it's the kind of thing that makes you sigh and roll your eyes.

Well, a woman owning pink acrylic templates that are one of her favorite colors is about as stereotypical as it can get, so please continue feeding the cycle that causes things like this practically dressed, strong willed character with pink in her outfit to be created in the first place.

This debate is starting to get about as silly as conservative Muslim men and secularist/"liberal"French men. The one group tells the women to wear the headscarf to go out in public, the other that they must not wear the headscarf in public, so that they can be liberated. Except, of course, it's not silly, because both sides limit women's freedom.

In the meantime, who the hell is just letting the women do what they want to do?

We've got one character in pink armor, the other in a drab flightsuit. It seems like the impressionable audience can see that both is okay. Thankfully, that impressionable audience is not here to witness (semi-)grown men bicker about how much pink girls should wear in cartoons.

As far as Sabine's armor, am I the only one who doesn't think it's really "pink"? I see mostly splashes of purple and orange, and, yes, a little pink, but it's not like it's a solid Princess Peach pink with frilly collars and cuffs.

She's an artist. Her armor is fine. She paints everything.

I wonder if Rebels will get as mature as Clone Wars got at times. I mean you had decapitations and that one creepy scene with Ventress kissing the guy she just force pulled onto her saber. Or are they going to go full kids show?

I doubt it, there was probably AT LEAST a half dozen times or more during the show when a character was stabbed through the chest from behind with a lightsaber.  Not to mention several people shot execution style.

I guess it would kind of make sense if they went in with enough speed and then switched to just repulsorlifts and used a differentiated thrust to in effect steer it and keep it moving laterally. That's some pretty sweet piloting though!

I guess it would kind of make sense if they went in with enough speed and then switched to just repulsorlifts and used a differentiated thrust to in effect steer it and keep it moving laterally. That's some pretty sweet piloting though!

I imagine you would see TIEs maneuvering like that in a ship's hangar bay when landing and launching as well.

As for the new show, I'm looking forward to it as it looks like we'll get to see an older Ahsoka Tano and possibly find out what happened to her after Season 5 when she left the Jedi Order.

Edited by zathras23

As far as Sabine's armor, am I the only one who doesn't think it's really "pink"? I see mostly splashes of purple and orange, and, yes, a little pink, but it's not like it's a solid Princess Peach pink with frilly collars and cuffs.

She's an artist. Her armor is fine. She paints everything.

This.

It's not pink....it's lightish red.

Heheheheheh.

Who knew TIEs could drift

Well why wouldn't they be able to? Their atmospheric flight is repulsorlift powered.

________________________________________________________________________________________

This show looks So. Kriffing. Good.

Edited by Captain Lackwit

I respect everyone's right to pick and choose what they like about Star Wars.  I have done the same myself (having ignored 90% of the EU).

That being said, I will gently try and talk people around to my point of view.  I originally hated "The Clone Wars".  After about two years, I tried watching it again, and was pleasantly surprised.  The visual style may not have been completely to my liking (at that point), but it felt right.

I can only say the same thing about what we've seen of "Rebels" so far.  It feels right to me.  Maybe those of you with first inclinations that are negative could hold off on condemning the series until you have seen a few episodes...

Or not.