Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Azul

Are the Pilots Flavourful?

37 posts in this topic

I just wanted to see what everyone thinks about the various pilots in this awesome game.  Are their abilities flavour wins or fails?

An example might be Luke who has the feeling of a force assisted evade.

oddeye likes this

• Dutch Vander has the line "Switching to targeting computer," and hands out target locks.
  • Garven Dreis has the line "Keep your eyes open for those fighters!" and hands out focus tokens (which have an open eye symbol).
  • Jek Porkins, who crashed into the Death Star's surface yelling "I can hold it", can virtually ignore stress--but sometimes takes damage to do so.
  • Han Solo, a gambler who famously has no use for odds, can reroll his attack dice for free.
  • Chewbacca, who's always working on the Falcon, can ignore many kinds of critical damage.
  • Boba Fett, about whose location Han Solo was famously confused, can change his dial immediately before he moves.

A lot of pilot abilities are just fun mechanics, but it seems to me that everywhere they could, FFG stuck in a little easter egg for the really serious Star Wars nerds.

huh.. i always thought ffg got Garven's ability from when Vader blew out his starboard engine and he tells luke to get set up for his attack run. either way works, Garven is a true leader.

arvel - classic.. no need to explain

mauler mithel - again, no need to explain

here one for thought - fails on abilities

Red squadron - rebel alliances best pilots (even says so on the card), has no EPT.. fail

Biggs

Dies. 

Janson was Wedge's rear gunner at Hoth. He was the first to trip up a AT-AT making it easier to destroy. Kind of stretch but his ability does strip the target's ability to defend. 

Edited by Jo Jo

how about the imperials?  

I feel like darth vader wasn't that great.  Nor the crew card.  

It is a weird ability for sure.

Corran Horn's ability seems pretty fluffy. Jedi double tap.

Wedge - You literally have less of a chance of evading him.

Jake Farrel - He can school you, he fly so good.

Tycho - Leads TIEs on a merry chase and literally makes himself a target cool as you like, no stress effects him.

ORS - He's a wannabe Han Solo but falls short besides buying the same ship.

OT: In the old N64 Rogue Squadron game the password to unlock the Battle of Hoth was 'DEADDACK' haha. But anyway,

Biggs

Dies. 

I never liked when they do this. Characters who die famously on screen tend to get an ability that reflects that. I suppose Porkins and Biggs didn't do much flying besides the part when they died, but there are other games such as LotR strategy battle game where one profile for Haldir the Elf Captain has a special ability... that activates when he dies, presumably because he dies on screen in the movie (movie version only). 

I can only imagine what Dak Ralter's would be if he got a card.

I can only imagine what Dak Ralter's would be if he got a card.

PS 4 Dak "I feel like I can take on the whole Empire myself!" Ratler: If you are the only friendly ship able to fire, gain an attack die in exchange for an agility die for the rest of the round.

Luke's ability certainly doesn't emulate the "Use the Force, Luke" right before he switches off his targeting computer since his ability is defensive.

I'll give a third option for Garven.

I think his ability comes from his repeating non-stop "Stay on Target", as he's REALLY trying to get his wingmen to stay "focused".

horsepire likes this

Really? Some of you can't see the flavour for Vader? He's the best pilot in the Empire and a powerful force user - he can do twice the actions others can because he's very comfortable in his custom Advanced and has the force on his side. That'd be at least two actions in my book! :)

The crew Vader ability is pretty self explanatory and possibly the most flavorful one in the game so far.

Mikael Hasselstein likes this

I'll give a third option for Garven.

I think his ability comes from his repeating non-stop "Stay on Target", as he's REALLY trying to get his wingmen to stay "focused".

Garven Dreis (Red Leader) is not the pilot who says "Stay on target". That quote is spoken by Gold Five as the Y-Wings are making their trench run.

Jim

Vader's ability is great. Its basically a built-in PTL without the stress side-effect. His only problem is that he's in a Tie Advanced.

The one pilot ability that I always felt wasn't consistent with the flavour of his character is Horton Salm. His current ability is good but its not reflective of his role as a squad leader and his mastery of Y-wing squad tactics. He should have an ability that buffs both himself and other Y-wing/B-wing friendlies around him. Perhaps something like:-

"If you or a friendly ship at range 1 performed a secondary weapon attack that did not hit you may immediately perform another secondary weapon attack. You may not perform another attack this round."

Edited by Wraithdt

how about the imperials?  

I feel like darth vader wasn't that great.  Nor the crew card.  

It is a weird ability for sure.

Corran Horn's ability seems pretty fluffy. Jedi double tap.

Vader kills his own crewmembers to motivate the others. As for the ship getting two actions, he's just an amazing pilot.

Edited by Lagomorphia

Luke should have gotten something gunnery related. He was a horrible pilot...**** near crashed everything he piloted.

-Cal

Really Vader and Mauler and mentioned but not Backstabber? Poor guy gets blown up by Han in the Trench and no one remembers him.

Lando: Sort of explains his leadership abilities during battle of endor. 

Etahn: Distingushed commander so it makes sense. 

Kir Kanos: I think his ability definetively captures his singlemindedness when it comes to killing his foe.

Cracken: Legendary intellegence agent/commander so gifting actions makes sense

Fails:

Kagi: I would think someone who's the personal driver to the emperor would try to avoid fire more rather than grabbing aggro from every rebel with a targeting computer.