Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RobertLoblaw

Noob GM question.

9 posts in this topic

I have 3 players and we are all very new to this and RPGs in general. Do you think that extremely low (really low) characters can beat a Rancor in battle? The reason I ask this question is because I don't want to murder the characters that they just created. Should I save this story I created for a later time? Thank you for your input.

Just MHO, but it's more a question of "do you want to let them?"  Killing a rancor at low levels, while it might seem okay at the time, kind of takes the threat away and is anti-climactic.  Of course, it depends how they do it:  if they trick it and run into its cell and then throw a rock at the door controls to crush it with the heavy door, then sure!

--edit:  beaten by Ghostofman!

On a related note, I'm not sure the rules really do it justice.  I'm away-from-book at the moment, but any movement a rancor makes is going to bowl people over and injure them incidentally without the rancor even trying.  Not sure that's reflected in the rules.

Edited by whafrog
Aservan likes this

You gotta know when to hold 'em. Know when to fold 'em. Know when to walk away, and know when to run.

I often tell my players, no matter what we're playing, not all encounters are meant to be a firefight. The rancor encounter could be a test of stealth, or it could just be a "wow" moment, something to observe.  It could also be an encounter where you want the players to be creative and think outside the box for a way to "defeat" it.  Maybe they can somehow use the rancor to help defeat another enemy.

If they choose to engage the rancor with battle, give them a solid hint that it may be way too dangerous at this stage of the game for them. But let them do it anyway if they really want to, of course. New characters don't take long to roll up.  ;)

whafrog and Col. Orange like this

Also keep in mind, that placing a rancor in the way doesn't mean it has to be fought.  There are many ways to get around a rancor without actually attacking it.  In EtoE, the whole experience is getting to "point B", how you get there is just adding cookies to the picnic. 

Lastly, exceeding your wound threshold does not mean character death. It means you take a critical hit and fall unconscious. With that being said, I wouldn't know what would stop a Rancor from just gobbling you up at that point. That would be up to the narrative.