Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joe Boss Red Seven

X-WING EPIC Play or X-WING Dogfighting?

43 posts in this topic

Epic with your non-hardcore gaming friends. It's like a social evening of chatting and gaming.

100 point dogfighting with the REAL players, still casual but with a hint of cut-throat competetivenes with the competetive tournament rules.

Joe Boss Red Seven likes this

Dogfights 90% of the time, epic 10%.

Epic is fun, and you get to use all the toys. Dogfights appeal to me more as it so heavily rewards strategy (list building) and tactics (in game maneuvering) - both of which get a little lost, by which I mean diminished, in epic.

Dogfighting ... So long as it isn't tournament meta. I'm sick of Falcons and Phantoms. Just me.

I agree. The Meta is to restrictive. If you are not playing according to the trends and ignore the current wisdom, you will lose.

:angry::(:wacko:

The word I want to use I probably can't on this forum, but it involves male cows and what comes out the back of them. :P

Defy the meta. Outright defy it. Stare it in the eyes and tell it, "I don't need you."

The meta is not all what's best, it's people trying to skip exploring what works and what doesn't by copying "winners." It's mostly illusory. Why do these same lists hit the Top 8 so much? Because almost everyone is flying them. How many didn't make it? For a start, X-wing has a very strong random element, and secondly, if you netdeck, you're flying something everyone's seen before and everyone knows how to counter.

Take XXBB. It's hitting the Top 8 because so many are played. When did it win the World Championship? When it wasn't a metagame netdeck. When it was a crazy idea of Paul Heaver's, that defied the TIE swarm or bust metagame, when it was a decent squad that did a cool thing that he could fly well. People didn't immediately know how to deal with a B-wing that flew like that. And he won. If someone took his squad nowadays everyone's seen the advsensor B-wing before.

Defying the meta isn't necessarily a bad idea. Sometimes it's a good one.

Edited by Lagomorphia

I've played 300 and 500 point epic games and it usually sways towards one side quickly. Once one person has destroyed about 75-100 more points over their enemy the game just becomes target practice/cleanup for the side that gained the leverage. Fun as all hell, though.

The goal is to get 2k of models from each side on the table for an EPIC! X-Wing-athon with massive carnage and obliteration and combos and swarms and high pilot skill and Tri-bounty hunters and Tri-YTs and 6 Decimators and every named X-Wing pilot and Ten Numb and a decked out Tantive with Gunner and Defenders and a squadron of Phantoms and Corran Horn with Expose and a bunch of Y-Wings flying through a hornets' nest of Interceptors and you get the idea.

It will happen. I will make it happen. And there will be pictures.

I prefer the dogfighting.

I prefer to build with the 100 pts restriction, it's harder to fit the perfect combo in. Also, time constraint. My friend come in, we talk while taking a beer or two, play for about an hour, have time for a second game, talk a little more and it's done.

I can dig that. Now just do it all day rather than for two hours.

:lol:

Red Castle likes this

Epic suffers because of lack of Imperial Huge Ships. Until there is some solution to that issue it will be a minor addition to the game at best.

The problem is that Epic feels nothing like the picture that you posted. Epic feels like 10 enemy ships all targeting the best opponent ship until it dies and then repeating that over and over again. Once you fall out of arc, it changes up a bit, but I am just not feeling it.

Epic suffers because of lack of Imperial Huge Ships. Until there is some solution to that issue it will be a minor addition to the game at best.

Yeah the one sided Hugeness is limiting it for now. I agree.

The problem is that Epic feels nothing like the picture that you posted. Epic feels like 10 enemy ships all targeting the best opponent ship until it dies and then repeating that over and over again. Once you fall out of arc, it changes up a bit, but I am just not feeling it.

I suspect that the game is as good as the people playing it...

;)

Once you have the table, models, terrain, and swag, the rest is on you.

You know?

admat likes this

I prefer to build with the 100 pts restriction, it's harder to fit the perfect combo in. Also, time constraint. My friend come in, we talk while taking a beer or two, play for about an hour, have time for a second game, talk a little more and it's done.

I would love to but, you know, work and other life obligation kinda get in the way. **** adult life, so boring...

Joe Boss Red Seven likes this

I would love to but, you know, work and other life obligation kinda get in the way. **** adult life, so boring...

You could pull a Falling Down, just don't get shot at the end of the day...

Red Castle likes this

Dogfighting. I've played Epic once, 2v2 with 200 points each. I don't have any huge ships, so I fielded only fighters. Things got way too clustered for me and the rounds took too long for me to enjoy it fully. Maneuvering is the thing I excel at and when things are as cluttered as they get in epic I don't even have to consider where to move my ships, there is really only one spot for each ship that will give me the tactical options that I want/need. Things just get too obvious simply put.

I like both, really. Dogfighting is my primary fallback, because I enjoy just taking a few ships out for an hour or so and just having fun, but Epic is cool because I can play those awesome missions that get shipped with each miniature and the huge battles give me more options for tactics and the kinds of ships I can bring in.

Dogfighting for sure. There's so much to explore, even at a 100-point level. I'd like to play Epic sometime to see what it's like, but with the sheer amount of product and time involved, I don't see myself getting into it.

I like both, really. Dogfighting is my primary fallback, because I enjoy just taking a few ships out for an hour or so and just having fun, but Epic is cool because I can play those awesome missions that get shipped with each miniature and the huge battles give me more options for tactics and the kinds of ships I can bring in.

Yeah it is cool. I love regular good ole X-Wing too of course. But in Epic you can just go all out all day.

:)