Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joe Boss Red Seven

X-WING EPIC Play or X-WING Dogfighting?

43 posts in this topic

For me it's somewhere in between. I love epic play because I can use all my toys but it does take a long time to set up and play and I love 100 point dogfights but I don't feel I get to use enough ships so I prefer to play somewhere around 175 points. 175 is quick enojgh to set up and play that you can play a couple of games confortably in an afternoon but provides enough flexibility that I can field a falcon and a few other ships and enjoy seeing them all on the table.

Dogfighting. 

I like the small dogfight feeling.   I even like the 75 point games or we sometimes play pick 2 or 3 ships and deck them out how you want in an "arena" type setting. 

Dogfighting ... So long as it isn't tournament meta. I'm sick of Falcons and Phantoms. Just me.

I agree. The Meta is to restrictive. If you are not playing according to the trends and ignore the current wisdom, you will lose.

:angry::(:wacko:

I understand it, but I do not like the limitations you suffer just to be able to compete.

:huh:

I like the freedom of playing at home and building huge fleets.

:):D^_^

Edited by Joe Boss Red Seven
admat likes this

Dogfighting. Really can see individual pilots shine.

Very true. On the other side of the coin ships that some people say are meh, like TIE Bombers, Lambdas, Y-Wings and HWK's all shine in EPIC.

;)

I like epic not just because it's new but because FFG has freakin nailed huge ship movement and gameplay. The huge ships feel HUGE and move slow while the dogfighters scream around them. I love the insta death if you get in the way of a huge ship. The CR-90 feels like It is bristling with guns and takes quite a beating to stop. The transport is very different then anything in this game so far and it's a blast to play. Epic all the way!

Dogfighting. Really can see individual pilots shine.

Very true. On the other side of the coin ships that some people say are meh, like TIE Bombers, Lambdas, Y-Wings and HWK's all shine in EPIC.

;)

True too. :)

Joe Boss Red Seven likes this

I like scenario play better, wet her it be at the dog fight level or epic battle.

So question:  do you like the regular scenarios better, or the "Cinematic Play"  campaign style better (which is basically scenarios with huge ships)?

I vastly prefer the dogfight.  Epic play is cool to look at but clumsy to play and loses most of what I really like about X-wing.  Fun for casual play every now and then, especially if you have 4 people together, but most of the time I just stick with 100 point dogfights.

Both have their upsides. I like the pace of standard games. Even with teams, each round takes so very long in Epic. But, in Epic games, you also see many ships that don't fit well in 100 point lists, and it's nice to actually see everything get used.

Joe Boss Red Seven and admat like this

There's far more options for me to pick from in Epic battles. I vastly prefer them over the normal 100-point "bring the same squadron yet again" dogfight. Being cursed with a very vivid imagination, my mind tends to run rampant when I'm playing with an entire Epic fleet spread out in front of me.

Honestly, I could play Epic non-stop if I had enough opponents to do so.

Dogfighting feels more like the tactical strategy I came to play. Epic starts to drag on and takes a lot longer, especially to set up if players don't have lists. I have a transport so I'll probably play some Epic just to use it, but the X-wing it came with is going to serve me a lot more often. 

Osoroshii likes this

I prefer the dogfighting.

I prefer to build with the 100 pts restriction, it's harder to fit the perfect combo in. Also, time constraint. My friend come in, we talk while taking a beer or two, play for about an hour, have time for a second game, talk a little more and it's done.