Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Krieger22

Booster Blue

10 posts in this topic

How do you guys handle Booster Blue? In the core rules (page 184) it states that "A character under the effects of Booster Blue may upgrade the ability of any Agility, Intellect or Cunning-related check once [...]). I'm not sure whether to read that as "upgrade a single skill check (involving any one of those characteristics) of his choice while the effects last" or as "upgrade all checks (involving any one of those characteristics) while the effects last". The first seems fairly insignificant, while the latter seems quite powerful.

I'd rather tend to think it's the first option.

It's a quick and dirty way to get something. The addiction is part of the gamble. it's something you use to get out of difficult situations in the dark and gritty world of the edge of the empire ;)

I read it as: as long as the character is under the effects of Booster Blue, they upgrade once the ability of any Agility, Intellect, or Cunning-related check (not limited to one check).  AFB right now so not sure what the duration of Booster Blue is.  But yeah seems powerful.  The trade off is you risk addiction.  I think it is left open enough that a GM could rule it is once per dose/effect.

progressions likes this

i think of it like cocaine or speed or something like that.  It gives the great boost to reaction and such but seriously screws you when you aren't on it and you've come to rely on it or something.  

"A character under the effects of Booster Blue may upgrade the ability of any Agility, Intellect or Cunning-related check once [...])."

Technically, as you said, the language is ambiguous.  Technically it can be read either way - the word "any" can be used to mean both "every" and "at least one".

However, I think it's pretty clear that in this case it means "every".  The intention is to say that while under the effects of Booster Blue all Agility, Intellect, and Cunning based dice pools are upgraded - i.e. it applies to every such roll until the drug wears off.

I think it means all of those types of checks while under the effect of the drug.

Given the drawbacks of withdrawal and the risk of addiction obligation I think its a fair bonus.

That way addiction actually has something attractive. Otherwise the player will just decide to go cold turkey and go through withdrawal and take the disadvantage on the chin till the addiction is over.

Heisenlars.jpg

Obviously Luke was going through withdrawal when he got attacked by that Sand Person and hadn't removed the strain he accumulated from his mechanic checks on R2-D2 and C-3P0, tracking R2 through the desert, and his successful stealth check to spy on the Banthas.