Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EatPaint

good campaign for new group?

15 posts in this topic

What is a good campaign for a new group. I would like something fast paced and easy for new players. What is a good starting point after the beginner game?

I find that the extra "Under a Black Sun" to be very cool.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4328

It's pretty simple, gives some interesting factions and places yourself on Coruscant.

From here on, you can stay in the Core Worlds or go out in the outer rims.

Like then you can integrate NPC's from core worlds in the outer rims which gives it a simple but effective star wars mixture.

And also allows you to open on completly new adventures.

Edited by Naglareph
kaosoe likes this

I wouldn't really do Under a Black Sun after Long arm of the Hutt, since its like halfway across the galaxy. Much easier to tie in with the existing area, than tie them into Coruscant... 

Personally I would do, Beginning game, Long Arm, GM kit, Trouble Brewing, Beyond the Rim if I were starting from scratch with a group these days (some homebrew stuff inbetween these). Also works out quite nice on the map, since they slowly make their way north in the galaxy with each mission.

Edited by Crovax20

You can also incorporate the adventure in the back of the core book to buffer more time while you gauge their interest. Beyond the Rim can be adapted to various play styles within reasonable effort.

From my flip through of Jewel of Yavin it didn't come across as doable for more aggressive players without heavy modification... so if by the time you finish the GM Kit and back of core adventures find that your group is not heist-oriented, skip it.

As Naglareph mentioned, Under a Black Sun is entertaining.

Some of the freebie adventures made by the community are also good.

By the time you finish all of that you should give a try at making your own.

Without giving spoilers, the Edge GM Kit adventure can be a lot of fun if you play up the creepy factor of the first half of the investigation.

edit: spelling. can't type for crap on phone  :(

Edited by Liloki

I've run under a black sun, but replaced Coruscant with Nar Shadaa, no one knew the difference.

Actually I wonder why I never thought about that...

But I think that playing in Coruscant gives a little more immersion towards new players.

They tend to know what Coruscant looks like, unlike Nar Shadaa.

Thanks for all the tips! Is the DM kit adventure pretty fun??

It's a great launching story in my opinion.

it contains no less than two possible Nemesis ;)

My players, some of them from the beginner game, had a blast with the Enemy of My Enemy from GM Chris & d20radio. Great adventure with many nice touches in the writeup.

The download link is up a few posts, click on Liloki's "freebie adventures" link.

Edit: also, if you have access to Saga Edition's Scum & Villainy, I always like to plug The Fell Star as a good adventure to throw in to the mix.

Edited by awayputurwpn

Thank you so much for all of your advice!

You are most welcome.

And I think that I speak for most when saying that new players should do what they want to enjoy themselves.

The rules are what you make out of them and so is the story.